Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus resin prep

On 10/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Greg Wann said:

It seems bleachwhite is popular but I'm  not sure why purple cleaner won't do the job.  It is a strong degreaser.  I use Zep brand from Home Depot to remove chrome from parts.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

I’m familiar with resins. Purple cleaners screw them up I just am not familiar with Modelhaus products. Is there a preferred method for their stuff is my question.

Modelhaus has always recommended Bleechwite, however I asked them about Super Clean, that they also recommend. They said it will work but would turn the resin purple. They also recommended Marine Clean, a Por 15 product now labeled Por 15 Cleaner/Degreaser.

Since you apparently had issues with the purple cleaners, I would try to avoid them or test a scrap piece before immersing the whole kit in the "purple pond".

Edited by #1 model citizen

You can soak MH and Hiro, others in Blechwite. I’ve wiped down with Purple and Simple Green but I’ve heard too many stories about resin turning to rubbery messes to soak. Purple power can make some older plastic kits brittle as well. Happened to me on a few things I forgot were soaking. 
Hope Don and Carol healthy and happy. 

I had not thought about discoloration since I have not actually tried it.  I suppose it is ironic that I know how to make nice resin parts but dont know squat about prepping them for painting.  I do have some mold release that is paintable and food grade.  If casters would use that then all the worries would not exist for prepping parts to paint and build.

Edited by Greg Wann

https://www.emicorp.com/item/ME+514E/A514-Zip-Paintable-Food-Grade-Mold-Release/

I'm not certain why as resin casters of model car parts that need gluing, painting and plating why we don't use a product like this.  This product seems to be a good match for what we do.  The biggest hurdle of the process is making a two part mold.  The release is really important to make certain the two  different pours (top half and bottom half don't bond together and become one mold trapping the parts inside.  Having to do surgery with a exact knife to hopefully cut the mold  up with enough care as to not ruin a rare part.

20 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

I recently got this and do not want to risk ruining it for any reason!!

3D95D944-EB79-4053-8B8D-D10600A62A31.jpeg

I have used many of the suggested ways to clean resin bodies and parts in the past with only a few problems and one very big disaster that turned the body to mush. What I have started using is just plain old Dawn dish soap. I fill a container with enough water and Dawn to to cover the body and let it soak over night. Then rinse with cool water and let dry. This seems to clean the resin parts completely with no damage.  This Riviera looks interesting, where did you get this ??

3 hours ago, espo said:

I have used many of the suggested ways to clean resin bodies and parts in the past with only a few problems and one very big disaster that turned the body to mush. What I have started using is just plain old Dawn dish soap. I fill a container with enough water and Dawn to to cover the body and let it soak over night. Then rinse with cool water and let dry. This seems to clean the resin parts completely with no damage.  This Riviera looks interesting, where did you get this ??

Ebay it’s a Modelhaus. Got it second hand. It’s sweet.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, av405 said:

What I said!

6 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

Its been awhile but Don recommended Marine Clean.  Probably too expensive for the most of you .

It is concentrated so a little goes a long way.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:28 AM, dimaxion said:

Just my 2 cents here . My go to is Westley's Bleach White . Ivory Soap (99.9% Pure - No *Lanolin to soften hands)   . *This is the niggler that will cause Fish Eyes .  I use Ivory on Plastic Kits before any Process in my Builds .  Thanx .. 

I have only used Bleach White on resin, however I recently purchased the Por 15 for 1:1 project & may give it try as I have plenty left over. Dawn dishwashing liquid (or the Walmart equivalent) is my go to. The blue stuff. Don't use the the stuff with hand softening conditioners, just pure soap. I wash all opaque & unplated parts before I start any sanding or clean up & then again before I prime.