Model Cars Magazine Forum

An incredible(!) mostly brass Hot Rod 1/25th scale replica from Tim Slesak

tim boyd

Those of us who participated in the MPC National Customizing Championship from 1969-79 will remember Tim Slesak, both as a competitor and later on, a judge and contest booth director. Those who attended Chuck Helppie's NNL Nats #40 Reunion banquet a year ago this weekend will also remember Tim's letter about the MPC series that Chuck read to the assembled throng after dinner.

Well....TIm and his wife have settled in Vermont after decades in Texas, and Tim is back building some incredible models. He recently sent me the link to his Fotki album, and gave me permission to post some images here. This one is a taste of his talents, building primarily brass 1/25th scale models that are right up there with the best of Richard Carroll and Dave Berry from back in the day.  The jewel-like detail he achieves is pretty amazing.

While modelers who work in brass almost always create miniature works of contemporary art, a certain automotive realism is often lost in the process. Tim's models instead exploit the brass medium to create even more lifelike miniature replicas, which in my opinion puts his work on a unique pedestal in the model car world.

Tim was inspired to build this from that memorable rootbeer candy 1/1 scale hot rod that toured the Autorama shows about...what now....about 15 years ago?Like the other premier craftsman of the hobby back in the 1970's and 80's,

Here are some photos of one of his most recent projects.....

IMG 0637

IMG 0639

IMG 0641

IMG 3486

IMG 3488

IMG 3489

IMG 3498

IMG 0661

IMG 0668

IMG 3445

IMG 3451

IMG 3452

IMG 3453

IMG 3468

IMG 3471

You can see more of Tim's incredible mostly brass creations here.....and thanks for looking!  (the other) TIM 

Stunningly beautiful work. I could examine those pictures for hours. I have wanted to try my hand at doing some parts in brass and this encourages me to get started. I'll have to get a cup of coffee and look through his photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Later-

Thank you all for your amazingly kind words, and especially to my old friend Tim Boyd for your words and encouragement, and also for turning me onto this forum. In the short time that I have had to look around, I can tell that there is no shortage of amazing talent represented hare.  If I can occasionally set one of my builds on the table alongside the rest of you, pull up a stool and chew the sprue, then it will be my honor.

The car that Tim Chose to show you is my most recent build, a tribute to a 1:1 show rod named “Loaded” built and shown by Pinkees Hot Rod Shop of Windsor Co.  The attached picture is of the 1:1 car.  I say it’s a tribute, and not a replica, since I mixed a little of my own personality in .  Since I enjoy working with brass, I thought it would be a good opportunity to build a little less formal hot rod that I would drive around town if I had the 1:1.  Mr. Turbo hit the nail on the head with his description of “brassier, giving it a steampunk vibe”.  That is exactly the look I was hoping to achieve. 

The build features a scratch built frame and working suspensions, built mostly out of brass, with stainless steel quarter elliptical leaf springs in the rear, and a single transverse mounted stainless steel leaf spring in the front.  The wheels are laced copper wire, with brass hubs and inner rims, and turned aluminum outer rims.  The windshield frame, seat frames, gas tank, and headers are also scratch built brass.  The engine is a Chrysler 354 Hemi from the Moebius 56 Chrysler 300B kit, mated to a 3D printed T4 five speed trans.The trunk and floor boards are made out of aircraft plywood, with copper inlaid accents.  The body is pieced together with parts from various 29 Model A kits, with a little Evergreen thrown in.  Seats and interior side panels are covered with tuck and role sculpted fun foam.  Paint is Createx Acrylic Candy 2.0 Dirt Track Brown mixed 50/50 with Wicked Gold, over black Autoborn Sealer followed by three coats of Testors Wet Look Clear.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my build.  I look forward to chatting with many of you and checking out what all of you are up to.  I noticed that there are several folks on here in PQ Canada, which is just up the road from where I am here in northern Vermont.  If they ever get the border open again, I sincerely hope the opportunity will present itself for us to get together.  I don’t speak French so please be patient with me, but I do speak model car.

Regards,

Tim Slesak

96E32D0E-FB0E-4FD3-B0DE-0A5BD885D2B1.jpeg

On 10/18/2020 at 10:03 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

I always knew there was something magic in the atmosphere of Vermont! Seriously, world class work. I concur, Mr. Boyd. Bravo!

CT

LOL, I thought so too, but I think it’s coming from that hemp farm down the road.  Seriously though, thanks for your kind words!

Tim S.

14 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Thank you all for your amazingly kind words, and especially to my old friend Tim Boyd for your words and encouragement, and also for turning me onto this forum. In the short time that I have had to look around, I can tell that there is no shortage of amazing talent represented hare.  If I can occasionally set one of my builds on the table alongside the rest of you, pull up a stool and chew the sprue, then it will be my honor.

The car that Tim Chose to show you is my most recent build, a tribute to a 1:1 show rod named “Loaded” built and shown by Pinkees Hot Rod Shop of Windsor Co.  The attached picture is of the 1:1 car.  I say it’s a tribute, and not a replica, since I mixed a little of my own personality in .  Since I enjoy working with brass, I thought it would be a good opportunity to build a little less formal hot rod that I would drive around town if I had the 1:1.  Mr. Turbo hit the nail on the head with his description of “brassier, giving it a steampunk vibe”.  That is exactly the look I was hoping to achieve. 

The build features a scratch built frame and working suspensions, built mostly out of brass, with stainless steel quarter elliptical leaf springs in the rear, and a single transverse mounted stainless steel leaf spring in the front.  The wheels are laced copper wire, with brass hubs and inner rims, and turned aluminum outer rims.  The windshield frame, seat frames, gas tank, and headers are also scratch built brass.  The engine is a Chrysler 354 Hemi from the Moebius 56 Chrysler 300B kit, mated to a 3D printed T4 five speed trans.The trunk and floor boards are made out of aircraft plywood, with copper inlaid accents.  The body is pieced together with parts from various 29 Model A kits, with a little Evergreen thrown in.  Seats and interior side panels are covered with tuck and role sculpted fun foam.  Paint is Createx Acrylic Candy 2.0 Dirt Track Brown mixed 50/50 with Wicked Gold, over black Autoborn Sealer followed by three coats of Testors Wet Look Clear.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my build.  I look forward to chatting with many of you and checking out what all of you are up to.  I noticed that there are several folks on here in PQ Canada, which is just up the road from where I am here in northern Vermont.  If they ever get the border open again, I sincerely hope the opportunity will present itself for us to get together.  I don’t speak French so please be patient with me, but I do speak model car.

Regards,

Tim Slesak

Thanks for joining the forum!  Wonderful to see such craftsmanship.

4 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

LOL, I thought so too, but I think it’s coming from that hemp farm down the road.  Seriously though, thanks for your kind words!

Tim S.

Hi Tim!

As you can see, the critics are unanimous. 

If I may, one question: there used to be an IPMS event, every other year, I believe, just south of Burlington. I know it was held in 2019. Do you know if it is still going on, and do you have any comments on this event? If the border ultimately reopens after Covid, I may try to attend. 

I was a regular participant in the NSRA Nationals in Essex-Junction for about 15 years, with my 1/1 rods over the years. I LOVE your neck of the woods!

CT

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

As you can see, the critics are unanimous. 

If I may, one question: there used to be an IPMS event, every other year, I believe, just south of Burlington. I know it was held in 2019. Do you know if it is still going on, and do you have any comments on this event? If the border ultimately reopens after Covid, I may try to attend. 

I was a regular participant in the NSRA Nationals in Essex-Junction for about 15 years, with my 1/1 rods over the years. I LOVE your neck of the woods!

CT

Hi Claude, 

It’s a pleasure to meet you sort of?.  I have not been to any IPMS events as of yet, but I am a member of the Mount Mansfield Scale Modelers Facebook group and there was a message posted yesterday that the Spring 2021 Can/Am Con has been canceled due to the virus.  I believe that is the event that you are referring to.  They did note that they are hoping for better news in 2022, so it looks to me like barring any more disasters, they are planning to resume their regular schedule whenever they get the green light.

I’ve only had a presence in this area for about ten years (first seven or so part time, and full time for the last three), but I did always try to make the NSRA event at the fairgrounds until last year when family health issues prevented me from going. Then this year it was canceled due to the virus, so I’ve been missing it.  I never had a 1:1 car to take, but I always enjoyed vewing the show as a spectator.  I must have seen your cars there many times.  Another great show was the AACA show in Stowe, that moved to Waterbury two years ago.  Great swap meet, and lots of beautiful early iron.

I have a friend in Germany that is an amazing scratch builder, that has told me that I need to look up a fellow in PQ by the name of Francis Laflamme.  My friend says the Francis is also a scratch builder using metals.  Do you know him?

Thanks for reaching out to me Claude.  I look forward to chatting more in the near future.

Regards,

Tim Slesak

1 hour ago, foghorn62 said:

Hi Claude, 

It’s a pleasure to meet you sort of?.  I have not been to any IPMS events as of yet, but I am a member of the Mount Mansfield Scale Modelers Facebook group and there was a message posted yesterday that the Spring 2021 Can/Am Con has been canceled due to the virus.  I believe that is the event that you are referring to.  They did note that they are hoping for better news in 2022, so it looks to me like barring any more disasters, they are planning to resume their regular schedule whenever they get the green light.

I’ve only had a presence in this area for about ten years (first seven or so part time, and full time for the last three), but I did always try to make the NSRA event at the fairgrounds until last year when family health issues prevented me from going. Then this year it was canceled due to the virus, so I’ve been missing it.  I never had a 1:1 car to take, but I always enjoyed vewing the show as a spectator.  I must have seen your cars there many times.  Another great show was the AACA show in Stowe, that moved to Waterbury two years ago.  Great swap meet, and lots of beautiful early iron.

I have a friend in Germany that is an amazing scratch builder, that has told me that I need to look up a fellow in PQ by the name of Francis Laflamme.  My friend says the Francis is also a scratch builder using metals.  Do you know him?

Thanks for reaching out to me Claude.  I look forward to chatting more in the near future.

Regards,

Tim Slesak

Hi Tim!

Nice to meet you too! Thanks for the infos, I'll keep an eye on it, so who knows, we may meet there in 22...

As for the NSRA, I'm certain we crossed paths, since it is not a huge show, and moving around, we keep bumping into the same great folks, so.. A copper 32 Ford 32 3W, or a bright yellow 38 Coast to Coast cabriolet, or a 33 3W coupe in Burple and vanilla shake. See some pics below. 

As for my friend Francis, he has an ongoing thread on this forum in the WIP Drag cars ( a Dodge pick-up), under the handle American Muscle Car Fan.

Francis is an extraordinary talented machinist/model builder, and is very good natured. You could leave him a personnal message via the thread, and I'm certain he'll get back to you. Beware: his builds are habit-forming!

Hope to chat more soon. 

Regards,  

CT 

32 Rhinebeck.jpg

33 Boise 4.jpg