Model Cars Magazine Forum

DuraChrome Bug funny Car...

NitroMarty

Another old build.... This one from back in 2006.... I posted this on the forum  many years ago, but it seems to be gone, so here it is again.

I had been fascinated with Warren Gunter's DuraChrome Bug supercharged Chevy powered Volkswagen funny car , ever since I had seen it during the World Series of Drag Racing, at Cordova (IL). as a young kid.... From that day forward, I had always had the desire (nearing obsession) to build a model of that wild racecar!!!!

durachrome002-vi.jpg

I actually started this model way back around 1988 / 89, by cutting and stretching a Revell VW body,

since there were no resin bodies of the car available at that time....

I also, at that time,  pieced together the basic chassis (splicing two AMT Gremlin F/C frames).....  It quickly became apparent,

though, that the project was way ahead of my skill set, so the project was shelved and only pulled out and worked on 

occasionally over the next several years.... Finally I felt that I was ready, so a push was made to finish my favorite funny car...

durachrome007-vi.jpg

durachrome009-vi.jpg

durachrome006-vi.jpg

durachrome008-vi.jpg

durachrome004-vi.jpg

Hard to believe that it's been almost a decade and a half since I finished this... My favorite build!!! 

Edited by NitroMarty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys... Like I said, this build was somewhat of a lifelong obsession of mine....

A decade or so after I finally finished with this build, I happened upon Model Martin's "Bug Zapper" resin VW funny car body, and instantly knew that I had to build a more contemporary version of the DuraChrome Bug....

DurchromeBug2027-vi.jpg

DurchromeBug2028-vi.jpg

DurchromeBug2010-vi.jpg

I think the two look pretty good, side by side.....

DurchromeBug2022-vi.jpg

Edited by NitroMarty