Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Vega Promo Resto

Snake45

Looks like a pretty clean '76 Vega promo, doesn't it? I thought so too when I brought it home from the local toy show a couple years ago (paid either $10 or $15, I don't remember which). It's complete, the chrome's not bad, the A-pillars aren't missing, broken, or cracked, and the overall finish is a nice shine that should be easy to work with. 

76Vega003.jpg.88158a329fd807c6fccd545e01ed5c39.jpg

76Vega006.jpg.8abe0266593fed4b1f83d740f5985d32.jpg

Upon closer look, however, about half of the right side A-pillar looks like it's been literally chewed on by someone or something. :blink: Or maybe the model was scraped by or banged into a brick or cinderblock corrner ONCE. It's really difficult to image what could have done this kind of damage without breaking, cracking, or even bending the A-pillar completely. And yet it's otherwise completely intact. 

76Vega012.jpg.c40b2ad5b6c54e20b8e470babd7e9e2f.jpg

If I wanted to paint it, this wouldn't be a big probem at all, but I'm really hoping to polish out the nice plastic, which seems to be a good match for Cream, a factor color that year. I THINK I have a fix plan that will work; I guess we'll see. 

There are also a couple chips out of the right side drip rail, but that should be a simple fix. 

Another problem with the thing is that some of the panel lines are VERY shallow, darn near wiped out completely. This is bad around the sides of the hatchback, the right front edge of the hood, and the headlight buckets. In these pics, I've already started rescribing some of these areas. though I haven't even disassembled the thing yet.  

We'll see what happens. 

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's really difficult to image what could have done this kind of damage without breaking, cracking, or even bending the A-pillar completely

Snake! Could your promo be a victim of " stackous ontopious "  ....better known as "tireburn"?

4 minutes ago, Khils said:

Snake! Could your promo be a victim of " stackous ontopious "  ....better known as "tireburn"?

No, I've never seen a tire burn that looks like this. In real life you can clearly see grooves, like teeth marks. I remembered that I once saw similar marks on a TV remote when I had a mouse in my basement. :blink:

On 10/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Snake45 said:

Looks like a pretty clean '76 Vega promo, doesn't it? I thought so too when I brought it home from the local toy show a couple years ago (paid either $10 or $15, I don't remember which). It's complete, the chrome's not bad, the A-pillars aren't missing, broken, or cracked, and the overall finish is a nice shine that should be easy to work with. 

76Vega003.jpg.88158a329fd807c6fccd545e01ed5c39.jpg

76Vega006.jpg.8abe0266593fed4b1f83d740f5985d32.jpg

Upon closer look, however, about half of the right side A-pillar looks like it's been literally chewed on by someone or something. :blink: Or maybe the model was scraped by or banged into a brick or cinderblock corrner ONCE. It's really difficult to image what could have done this kind of damage without breaking, cracking, or even bending the A-pillar completely. And yet it's otherwise completely intact. 

76Vega012.jpg.c40b2ad5b6c54e20b8e470babd7e9e2f.jpg

If I wanted to paint it, this wouldn't be a big probem at all, but I'm really hoping to polish out the nice plastic, which seems to be a good match for Cream, a factor color that year. I THINK I have a fix plan that will work; I guess we'll see. 

There are also a couple chips out of the right side drip rail, but that should be a simple fix. 

Another problem with the thing is that some of the panel lines are VERY shallow, darn near wiped out completely. This is bad around the sides of the hatchback, the right front edge of the hood, and the headlight buckets. In these pics, I've already started rescribing some of these areas. though I haven't even disassembled the thing yet.  

We'll see what happens. 

now that would make a great little Funnycar......

Edited by thatz4u