Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with PE placement with vent hood '67 Chevelle

I have a question about placement of photo etched hood vents for the Revell '67 Chevelle 396 2n1. Do I place them on the topside or under the hood? I tried searching for images and found some but not very detailed. This is the first time working with photo etching and any help would be appreciated.

Also, I don't have any etching tools for bending. Are there techniques to this? Specifically the PE part for the shift pattern for the floor console between the front seats. The console has a slight convex curve.

Thanks.

EDIT - On further inspection under a magnifying glass that section of the console is flat. These eyes of mine (I wear bifocals) are not what they used to be. I would still be interested in techniques on bending PE parts.

Edited by Joe Heveran

• 1 month later...

The "vents" on a 67 Chevelle SS hood are there for looks only, there are no actual holes through the hood. The only thing on the bottom of the hood is where the studs come through that the stamped steel nuts thread onto to hold the "vents" in place. They are slightly curved to match the curve of the power bulges or blisters in the hood. (depends on who you ask what they are called)

FWIW, the vents on 66 and 67 SS Chevelles are phony and the 68 and 69 SS Chevelles are functional. On all of them the Super Sport hoods have the power bulges and the base model hoods are flat. This is first hand knowledge as my father has owned a 67 Chevelle since 68 (and still has it) and I have a 69 Chevelle.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, Toner283 said:

The "vents" on a 67 Chevelle SS hood are there for looks only, there are no actual holes through the hood. The only thing on the bottom of the hood is where the studs come through that the stamped steel nuts thread onto to hold the "vents" in place. They are slightly curved to match the curve of the power bulges or blisters in the hood. (depends on who you ask what they are called)

FWIW, the vents on 66 and 67 SS Chevelles are phony and the 68 and 69 SS Chevelles are functional. On all of them the Super Sport hoods have the power bulges and the base model hoods are flat. This is first hand knowledge as my father has owned a 67 Chevelle since 68 (and still has it) and I have a 69 Chevelle.

Interesting thing to know. I had opened up both vents and I couldn't decide where the PE parts should go. I ended up using the chrome pieces that came with the kit and put them where the instructions said to. I guess I should have researched my project better. Lesson learned.

This is my first attempt of using PE parts and I came to the realization that they are very hard to use (duh). The emblems were very fragile and did not stay together even though I handled them very carefully with the tweezers I had available to me. I purchased some  precision tweezers and will use them on my next attempt. I have read many times on this site that the more times you do something the better the results you get. So I move onward!

Joe

PE can be challenging,  but also very rewarding.  Fine details can be gained from PE sets enhancing a usual plastic kit. Good tweezers , sharp blades to cut them from trees, and good light /magnifier help . 

Future/pledge whatever its named this week makes a good adhesive for pe , or a speck of epoxy .

5 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

PE can be challenging,  but also very rewarding.  Fine details can be gained from PE sets enhancing a usual plastic kit. Good tweezers , sharp blades to cut them from trees, and good light /magnifier help . 

Future/pledge whatever its named this week makes a good adhesive for pe , or a speck of epoxy .

A drop or two of clear paint works good as well for attaching PE emblems to the outer body of a model car or truck. Basically just enough to "glue" the emblem down.