Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beating this dead horse again - what's the holdup on the Revell paints?

IIRC the folks at Stevens Int'l put out a video a while back indicating they would be bringing the entire Revell paint line (acrylics, enamels and spray paints) over here and they'd be available in September(?) 

I'm really anxious to try some of these since I read some comments on a British board saying how they were even better than Humbrol, which has gotten itself back to being good now that it's no longer made in China.  

Yes, you can buy them on ebay, but @ $20+ shipping per tinlet, that's not even an option.

Any US or trustworthy Asian sources carrying these yet?  Links would be appreciated.  

Monty already indicated buying through ebay isn't an option because of the insane shipping charge ($20+ for one container). It's also a complete waste of time attempting to communicate with Revell via its Facebook page. It's like there are two separate and distinctly unrelated conversations are taking place when you ask anything related to product availability. Whoever is on duty responding to customer questions does his best to avoid providing a relevant and concise reply to a specific question. Essentially, you end up with the impression you were talking to yourself.

Or use something else until the company selling the product actually decides that they want to sell the product in your country? And then still have to order it online from one of the large internet vendors? I don't know what the answer is. It's paint, "legal" international shipment for a few tins is going to be expensive if they declare what they are shipping.

I don't expect to see it in my LHS any time this century. I almost fell down when I saw the additional Tamiya rack for the TS cans that I have been ordering online for several years. Like Mark said, baby steps with these folks....

16 hours ago, Mark said:

Getting hobby shops to switch brands or bring in a new brand is a tough nut to crack.  

Although Revell's line is nowhere near as extensive as Testors, I'm thinking their paints may help fill the void left by Testors dialing back on the paints they're going to offer model builders.  If I have my info right, Testors is killing off the Model Master series, the Acryl series and possibly the Metalizer series.  

With those gone, a shop might have the room to take on another line.  Just a thought.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Monty said:

I'm hearing snippets of rumors indicating that these paints have finally made it to Canada.  Can anyone confirm that, or even better, LMK if someone's carrying them in the US?

RC Eliminator in Winnipeg, Mb. shows them in stock on their website. I am going there tomorrow to pick up some items and will confirm it. 
Edit: They just confirmed that they do have the Revell line of paints in stock.

Edited by NOBLNG

While I'm glad to hear these paints have at least made it to this continent, there's a part of me that wonders why our northern neighbors seem to be getting them first while there still doesn't seem to be any US-based source for them.  I don't begrudge anyone having a shot at them, but it seems they'd sell just as quickly here. 

I'd also be curious to know what, if any, agreements RoG might have tried to put in place with the bigger dogs (Tower Hobbies, Mega, etc) to ensure there'd be a place or two where their paints could be found in a basic internet search (lots of us live in very small towns with no real hobby shops for miles). 

Any industry insiders want to offer some insight on why this rollout is going this way?   

Monty, why are you so eager to get those paints?  There are plenty of other paints on the market, and you have the rest of your life to eventually get your hands on those Revell paints.  Are they supposed to be *THAT* good, so much netter than any other hobby paint that you just can't wait?  I would say "relax, this is a hobby". We usually take on hobbies as stress relievers, or pleasurable activities, not something that causes stress.

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

Monty, why are you so eager to get those paints?  There are plenty of other paints on the market, and you have the rest of your life to eventually get your hands on those Revell paints.  Are they supposed to be *THAT* good, so much netter than any other hobby paint that you just can't wait?  I would say "relax, this is a hobby". We usually take on hobbies as stress relievers, or pleasurable activities, not something that causes stress.

If you have been using the Testors brands, our options have been declining for years. First they killed off Polyscale and Floquil, then there has been a relentless drive to cut back on their remaining lines. Testors is owned by a large paint company that apparently has little interest in supplying hobbyists with paint, but at the same time they still dominate the US hobby paint market. Tamiya and Vallejo are the two main alternatives and each have some limitations, Games Workshop is another, but again also has some limitations.

I can certainly see being excited to try out a new paint that is getting good reviews.

1 hour ago, Aaronw said:

If you have been using the Testors brands, our options have been declining for years. First they killed off Polyscale and Floquil, then there has been a relentless drive to cut back on their remaining lines. Testors is owned by a large paint company that apparently has little interest in supplying hobbyists with paint, but at the same time they still dominate the US hobby paint market. Tamiya and Vallejo are the two main alternatives and each have some limitations, Games Workshop is another, but again also has some limitations.

I can certainly see being excited to try out a new paint that is getting good reviews.

There are plenty of new hobby paint brands to choose from, plus I still have decent stash of Testors and Floquil paints.  As for the big corporation owning the hobby paint brands, RPM (the parent of more than a dozen of paint brands) has owned both Testors and Floquil paints for decades.  This is nothing new.  They have been trimming the paint hobby paint line for quite some time, probably because other brands are entering the market, along with some oldies (like Humbrol).  Yes, I'm excited about yet another hobby paint being brought to the American market, but as this threads Subject line states, it is beating that proverbial dead horse.  The Revell paints will get here when they get here. 

The latest FSM magazine had a very informative review of several lines of acrylic lacquers (the "stinky" type - not water-based acrylics).  There were some new brands reviewed that I have not heard of. So, they are new.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, Monty said:

While I'm glad to hear these paints have at least made it to this continent, there's a part of me that wonders why our northern neighbors seem to be getting them first....

They probably sell them to us Canucks for double what they can get in the U.S.?

On 12/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, peteski said:

There are plenty of new hobby paint brands to choose from, plus I still have decent stash of Testors and Floquil paints.  As for the big corporation owning the hobby paint brands, RPM (the parent of more than a dozen of paint brands) has owned both Testors and Floquil paints for decades.  This is nothing new.  They have been trimming the paint hobby paint line for quite some time, probably because other brands are entering the market, along with some oldies (like Humbrol).  Yes, I'm excited about yet another hobby paint being brought to the American market, but as this threads Subject line states, it is beating that proverbial dead horse.  The Revell paints will get here when they get here. 

The latest FSM magazine had a very informative review of several lines of acrylic lacquers (the "stinky" type - not water-based acrylics).  There were some new brands reviewed that I have not heard of. So, they are new.

The main point is I prefer enamels for almost every aspect of model building, although the Tamiya lacquer paints seem to be able to provide great results for bodies.  Aaronw listed a number of enamels that are no longer available, and I'll add Pactra to that list, as they were my favorite paints till they went away.    

Yes, there are tons of new paints coming out, but almost all seem to be acrylics, and for the most part, I'm just not interested.  As for the Revell enamels themselves, I think I mentioned reading some European military model sites where the majority of builders gave them high marks for quality & coverage etc, plus they appear to offer some shades of colors I don't have, and I love having a wide range of colors available.  

The slow progress of the rollout and the lack of any US-based hobby suppliers still puzzles me, as the importer's original video indicated they planned to have these here last fall.      

HI!

I can confirm that the display is up here in Québec city. Spray cans and acrylics, but no enamel tins yet. 

That being said, I tried their clear spray can, since I was sad to see Testor's Wet Look clear bein cancelled.

I found that Revell's new clear is OK, it shoots with a medium mist, and dries a smidge faster than Tamya's TS-13. However, it is much less viscous than WetLook is/was, and of course, if you seek more coverage by addid coats, it creates a bit of orange peel after drying completely. Also, even after a first "tack coat", the subsequent coats are prone to runs, more so than with WetLook and TS-13. I have NOT tried to polish it yet, so I'll reserve my final judgment until I do...

I still have to try it on a real model, and not just test on plastic bottles. It got me to try to perfect my use of Tamya's TS-13 for now, since my reserve of WetLook won't last forever, alas!

CT 

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Steve H said:

I’m still in shock that us Canuck’s got something before our neighbours to the south! As Greg said, we pay double, so ....

Cheers, Steve

On the other hand, the Round 2 kits i've been looking forward to, still haven't hit the shelves of the stores here, so I guess it all balances out.