Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone seeing a trend where model car builders are gravitating towards model aircraft building?

Well, I just traded for some junk aircraft to use for their shapes. I m creating a 40's concept car and the shapes are really helping. At some point I will start a thread in "on the workbench". I have also built an SR71- the only aircraft which has interested me. Since I grew up in Gloucester Massachusetts I also love boats and ships- I have built a working fishing dory, a model of the schooner Elsie, and eventually will build a Chesapeake crabbing skiff- one of the most elegant vessels ever designed. The first model I ever built was the AMT 3 in 1 boat kit- one I will build again, when I get a minute.....  However, my overwhelming interest is building model cars- I love 'em!

17 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Do we have two identical threads going? I had responded to this question earlier and just added a comment..  not on this thread

Yes, GMP440 posted identical posts here and in the General section.  I mentioned that earlier in the thread.  Mods merged them (which to me makes sense).

Edited by peteski

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, GMP440 posted identical posts here and in the General section.  I mentioned that earlier in the thread.  Mods merged them (which to me makes sense).

Aha!  At first I thought someone removed my posts and was puzzled why!  Not hard to mess with my rather fragile grip on reality!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a convert, but the other way. 

I started with planes, built a few cars (mostly for my younger brother as a kid) but stuck with planes. Then I found Gundams, and it was all MS kits for ages. After joining my local IPMS club in 2000, I started to get a bit more into variety, and went back to planes. Then, about a decade ago, my brother bought me a 1/32 EXP,  and now I have more cars than I ever thought I would. 

I still consider myself a Gundam guy first, and plane guy second. However, most people who know me know me as a car guy! Go figure. 

I think it's cool to build whatever you think is cool. I love that there are so many models of so much neat stuff out there. 

Planes, ships and military vehicles does not interest me. I do have a few 1/24 scale planes but never build one.

I do have a passion for heavy military transporters and recovery trucks, but only because they are not available in 1/25 or 1/24.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:00 AM, ChrisR said:

Planes, ships and military vehicles does not interest me. I do have a few 1/24 scale planes but never build one.

I do have a passion for heavy military transporters and recovery trucks, but only because they are not available in 1/25 or 1/24.

Kit Form Services has some 1/24 transporters and recovery trucks, mostly British Army.  They're all in resin.  KFS also has conversions for many plastic big-truck kits.  Now where can I find room for a 1/24 Alvis Stalwart...

temp (kitformservices.com)

19 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Kit Form Services has some 1/24 transporters and recovery trucks, mostly British Army.  They're all in resin.  KFS also has conversions for many plastic big-truck kits.  Now where can I find room for a 1/24 Alvis Stalwart...

temp (kitformservices.com)

I have bought from them and is currently working on an Italeri Mercedes Actros with one of their 6X4 and RHD conversions.

• 8 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, Snake45 said:

Yeah, "customizing" is virtually unknown in aircraft and armor modeling, though there are a very, very few who like to build "what-if" versions of things. 

But occasionally you *do* find a customized airplane😆 Check out the flame job on this Corsair👍

C5481536-DDEE-4482-BB0C-9CB0C2102154.jpeg

PERSONALLY, I HAVE NOT BUILT ANY MILITARY KITS IN YEARS.....BUT I USED TO AS WELL....FIGURES, 1/35 AND 1/72 HO/OO AIRFIX, 1/72 AND 1/76 ARMOUR, 1/35 ARMOUR. EVEN SOME AURORA MONSTER AND TV RELATED KITS FOR A FRIEND AT ONE POINT,,,,BUT, CARS ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE TOP INTEREST FOR ME....THOSE GOOD OL' MPC, AMT, JOHAN, ETC MUSCLE CARS, DRAG CARS, PICKUPS AND ALL , LIKE  MICHAEL CORLEONE SAYS...' PULL ME BACK IN' EVERYTIME....HECK, I LOVE 1/64 DIECAST VEHICLES TOO, AND AM USUALLY TRIPPING OVER GUT LOADS OF THEM AROUND HERE AS WELL....ENJOY IT ALL, THAT'S MY ADVISE,,,IF YOU LIKE IT AND ENJOY IT, TRY IT ALL............ACE..😅

I think it's all part of being a modeller. I bounced back and forth between airplanes and cars for years. Once in a while I'll build a Star Wars kit or two to bust a slump. Recently I've taken to applying some of the weathering techniques I picked up from building WWII airplanes to builds like my 1/12 Alfa 8c and the Fiat Mefistofele I've just started. Washes, scribing panel lines, weathering with airbrush and pastels...all of these are skills I honed building military subjects that can be applied to making my automotive builds better.

IMG_20200427_150458.jpg.22a8aa83359d7183ae00363ea12d483b.jpgIMG_20200427_140842.jpg.279e111d51bacb3b799ed2c49b9d2054.jpg

I have always collected and built both cars and military aircraft. I have a huge stash of drag and showrods, and a smattering of racing and supercars. I have  virtually every military aircraft- planes and helicopters- ever kitted in either injection, resin, or vacuform, in 1/72.

I love kitbashing drag and showrods. On the creative side of aircraft, I don't kitbash but I build a lot of X-planes, experimental aircraft, one-of-a-kinds, things that only made it to the drawing boards. This gets me out of the likes of the military sites, where you see the same planes all the time- everyone has a Zero, P-51, F-14, Phantom, etc., etc. pretty common. I love building the uncommon. I love armor, but I always knew that would be one subject too many, so I content myself with my collection of ROCO minitanks. I never got into ships or figures, though I did a couple as a kid. I'm not into most sci-fi subjects, like Star Wars or Star Trek, but I never could resist flying saucers, so I have probably more than a dozen- from Lost In Space, The Invaders, Earth VS. The Flying Saucers,  The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing, War of The Worlds (ok, not really a saucer, but they ARE really cool!), Flying Sub (ok, also not a saucer), Forbidden Planet, and a few lesser knowns.

Most of my friends here locally build models, we all have different tastes; one builds figures, another sci-fi, another big rigs, his brother, large scale dinosaurs and armor. As long as you're having fun, it's all good. The sad thing is, all of us are over 60- and NONE of our kids build models. NONE. And we tried. Video gaming- never could get interested in that.

I'm just not a stickler for rivet counting, I'm not aiming for professional replicas. I want a nice, clean build that I'm happy with on my shelf.

Building models take me back to being a kid again, having fun; I'm glad I never stopped.

13 hours ago, Dave Armstrong said:

I love building the uncommon. I love armor, but I always knew that would be one subject too many, so I content myself with my collection of ROCO minitanks.

Building models take me back to being a kid again, having fun; I'm glad I never stopped.

I had DOZENS of ROCO minitanks when I was a kid. The cheapest of them were only a quarter and even the biggest, most complex weren't much over $1. They're all gone now, but I've managed to pick up a few, maybe a dozen or so, in the last 20 years. Some of them are still made but are kind of expensive. (Do you remember the old M47 and M48 Patton tanks with the wire barrels?)

Like you, I model to feel like a kid again. I think that's why I'm so drawn to my beloved "glue bomb rescues." I don't expect perfection from these, just a few hours of cheap, fast-moving fun. They're a great preventive or cure for the onset of AMS. B)

I've been mostly a auto, truck MC builder but I did buy two aircraft kits not long ago. They are both still sealed. I really like Bruce's (Brudda) bipe pictured above. If one that looks like that is available in 1/48 or larger I'd get one of those too. That's a cool looking plane to me.

This is interesting, it was the complete opposite for me. I used to be hugely into planes, but now they aren't as much of an interest. I did at the time want to be a pilot though.... and I was a cadet. Wish I was still interested in planes, but nothing really inspires me anymore. Bit of a sore spot still...

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

(Do you remember the old M47 and M48 Patton tanks with the wire barrels?)

Hmm...I might not have noticed that.

Ya, I loved going to the LHS and going to the ROCO rack, picking out a few. I still have them, and always looked to see if they kept up with advances, and buy the new tanks and other stuff- THOSE are NOT cheap!