Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket

landman

15 hours ago, landman said:

I used to pay somewhere around $40 a year.....

The "used to pay" might be what's causing it. I and lots of others were only using the free version of Photobucket, and the basic extortion threat (for lack of a better description) was that our photos would either not be seen anymore or would be crippled by the corporate mark if we didn't pay for the service. I only used Photobucket at a different 1:1 vehicle forum, and since that other forum and MCM here allows direct photo uploads which work great, I had no need to keep using Photobucket, so I let it lapse.

7 hours ago, Russell C said:

The "used to pay" might be what's causing it. I and lots of others were only using the free version of Photobucket, and the basic extortion threat (for lack of a better description) was that our photos would either not be seen anymore or would be crippled by the corporate mark if we didn't pay for the service. I only used Photobucket at a different 1:1 vehicle forum, and since that other forum and MCM here allows direct photo uploads which work great, I had no need to keep using Photobucket, so I let it lapse.

6 hours ago, slusher said:

The pictures I have in photobucket are like that because I am not using a pay account.. I am going to close my account with them...

Russell, that is what it is. Sometime back I changed my credit card and I somehow forgot to update that account, so I'll likely do as Carl did and let it lapse. I'll also try to replace the photos.

I think PB used to be free then they decided to start charging, understandable, but to hold peoples current photos at the time for ransom, which is exactly what it was, was way out of order. Luckily I only had a few pictures on another car site back then and was able to just edit my posts with direct picture uploads, like on here rather than them being hosted from elsewhere. At first they completely deleted the pictures, well, they were there but all you saw was a grey window. After a while, they decided, probably from the flood of people who gave them the finger, they brought the pictures back but blurred and out of focus, then they changed it up again recently by just slapping a great huge watermark over the pictures. After that stunt they pulled a couple years back I have never bothered with them, no need anyway as most sites allow direct picture uploads.

I’ve had my pix, both my own account and the NNL East account, on Fotki forever. It’s a good value and it’s been smooth since the server move out of USA. 

If you go with then, sign up for one year and often they’ll have sales, that’s when I re-up for multiple years. 

I do put my pix directly on the board here.

Since one can "drag n' drop" or load images directly from one's computer into a post here, why would one really need to use a photo hosting site to store images? If you're concerned about hard drive failures leading to data loss, back up files on thumbnail drives and even archiving them on CD/DVD. They are essentially hard copies which aren't susceptible to loss due to hardware failure or problems with hosting sites.  You want to load images, no problem. Load the appropriate disk or thumb drive and copy 'n' paste or drag 'n' drop into your post. It might seem like a dated method; but, I never worry about any of my important files and documents turning into lost electrons.

Edited by SfanGoch

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Since one can "drag n' drop" or load images directly from one's computer into a post here, why would one really need to use a photo hosting site to store images? 

I have a "legacy" PB account that costs about as much as a cup of coffee monthly.

It's a deal they gave their old paid users after the reorganization post-debacle.

It's easier for now than taking the time to go back and edit all my old posts, though that's being done as time permits...but I have lotsa real-world priorities.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:03 PM, SfanGoch said:

Since one can "drag n' drop" or load images directly from one's computer into a post here, why would one really need to use a photo hosting site to store images?

It all depends on how people want to organize their images.  Fotki's album organization ability is handy for showing a large number of images.  If you only want to show a small number, then using this board's uploading tool may be better.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The Photobucket habit of watermarking photos.     Is this practice illegal as they are effectively altering images that are the photographers own copyright regardless of whether they pay photo bucket or not.

I bet that somewhere in the User Agreement (that no one reads) you give them the authority to do a lot of things with your photos.

A few years ago Photobucket  used to be free. Not anymore unless you pay for a subscription. Otherwise, they will steal or I should say hold them hostage unless you pay. Thankfully when I first heard of the rumblings, I immediately removed all my images in my files and stored them on my PC. It wasn’t long before other users did the same. Some not so lucky ended up losing them for good. My advice? Avoid Photobucket at all cost. They’ve gotten themselves a reputation for bad business practices.

The question still begs is why do folks still use photobucket when there are others for free?

9 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

...The question still begs is why do folks still use photobucket when there are others for free?

My question has always been why people expect a quality hosting service for nothing?

I've paid a very minimal fee to use PB for almost a decade and never had a significant problem.

My photos are not watermarked.

And only a fool wouldn't keep backups of all his images on his own computer, no matter what hosting service he used.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I had a self renewing subscription with PB (I think $40 a year or so) then one morning, watermarks all over the place. As Bill says, luckily I must be a fool as I have all my photos here. So I am in the process of replacing them all. I am about to start on the Diorama thread which has over 30 pages so I'll be at it till Christmas. ? If they had had the decency to notify me that something was wrong with the subscription I mwould certainly had fixed whatever it was but they obviously don't care.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And only a fool wouldn't keep backups of all his images on his own computer, no matter what hosting service he used.

I archive all of my photos and important documents on CD/DVD. I don't have to worry if ephemeral storage systems like clouds or computer drives go POOF! Them disks are pretty much permanent and forever, Photobucket and other hosting services ain't.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My question has always been why people expect a quality hosting service for nothing?

I've paid a very minimal fee to use PB for almost a decade and never had a significant problem.

My photos are not watermarked.

Not if photos are on your photo discs. I keep mine there. I would never trust photobucket again. Not after that stunt they pulled on a few users a few years back. Every model forums I belong to won't use photobucket again.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, SfanGoch said:

I archive all of my photos and important documents on CD/DVD. I don't have to worry if ephemeral storage systems like clouds or computer drives go POOF! Them disks are pretty much permanent and forever, Photobucket and other hosting services ain't.

Good advice. I keep my most important stuff on disc...like real-car build documentation...but I have backup drives that mirror all my main drives once a week too.

If a computer drive crashes now, it's easy to recover almost everything.

But I'm not too worried about losing model car photos anyway.