Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time to Start Selling Modelhaus Models?

Maybe it's time for all of us to consider selling some of our Modelhaus resin kits.

Stumbled across this Modelhaus built '60 Plymouth wagon on ebay.

Is there really any reason why a resin re-pop should be worth more than the original kit?

What are these people thinking?

You can either spend $1,899.95 for this not particularly stellar built Modelhaus model.......

s-l1600.jpg

Or you can spend $99.00 on this completely pristine, unmolested original.

s-l1600.jpg

I'll let you decide.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

3 minutes ago, hack-n-whack said:

Almost $1,900 for a model? Is it made of gold? Does it run? Or is the seller just trolling to find a willing buyer

This of course is not the first time this kind of thing has shown up on ebay, but it just kind of boggles the mind when it does.

Why would you even waste your time putting it up on ebay?

I suppose because, just by chance, there might be some brainless idiot that might buy it! :rolleyes:

For the record folks, all of my models are now for sale!

All original kits at $3,000.00 each! :lol:

Steve

In November 2017, I bought a Jo-Han '60 Plymouth "Police" wagon for $43.00.  On eBay.  With free shipping. I keep Excel spreadsheets of all my model buys.

I just checked the "125_resin" spreadsheet. Way back in September 2003, also on eBay, I bought a Modelhaus '62 Chrysler wagon (the full kit, complete with whitewall tires) for $50.00.  It's still unbuilt and maybe I should put it in a bank safety deposit box. I feel as rich as Scrooge McDuck! ?

37 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

In November 2017, I bought a Jo-Han '60 Plymouth "Police" wagon for $43.00.  On eBay.  With free shipping. I keep Excel spreadsheets of all my model buys.

I just checked the "125_resin" spreadsheet. Way back in September 2003, also on eBay, I bought a Modelhaus '62 Chrysler wagon (the full kit, complete with whitewall tires) for $50.00.  It's still unbuilt and maybe I should put it in a bank safety deposit box. I feel as rich as Scrooge McDuck! ?

Yeah, I've got a few Modelhaus kits that I will probably never build that I would let go in a heart beat for a tiny fraction of what this guy is asking.

I believe that I still have a '58 Edsel, and a '56 Cadillac.

I had a '59 Pontiac Bonneville at one point.

Not sure if I still have it.

And I have a Modelhaus '56 Dodge Custom Royal.

I'm certain that I never paid more than $80.00 for any of them.

Guess I should have bought more!

By the way Mike, apparently the '62 Chrysler wagon that you speak of, which never existed in kit form, isn't worth nearly as much as the quite common '60 Plymouth wagon.

This '62 Chrysler can be had right now on ebay for $187.50. ;)

s-l1600.jpg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

21 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, I've got a few Modelhaus kits that I will probably never build that I would let go in a heart beat for a tiny fraction of what this guy is asking.

I believe that I still have a '58 Edsel, and a '56 Cadillac.

I had a '59 Pontiac Bonneville at one point.

Not sure if I still have it.

And I have a Modelhaus '56 Dodge Custom Royal.

I'm certain that I never paid more than $80.00 for any of them.

Guess I should have bought more!

By the way Mike, apparently the '62 Chrysler wagon that you speak of, which never existed in kit form, isn't worth nearly as much as the quite common '60 Plymouth wagon.

This '62 Chrysler can be had right now on ebay for $187.50. ;)

s-l1600.jpg

Steve

I can see this being slammed, with Clown Car wheels & a Hemi shoehorned in it.........LOL

13 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

I can see this being slammed, with Clown Car wheels & a Hemi shoehorned in it.........LOL

That's actually how I'll be building my '60 Plymouth wagon. Candy rootbeer brown and cream top.

But you really got to knock off with the "clown car wheels" statement, it is insulting.

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That's actually how I'll be building my '60 Plymouth wagon. Candy rootbeer brown and cream top.

But you really got to knock off with the "clown car wheels" statement, it is insulting.

I live in the USA, still have right to free expression, to each his own....

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Did Modelhaus repop the Plymouth wagon?

I don't think so...it was never an uncommon kit. They did a lot of Mopar wagons that I think the masters were derived from the '60 Plymouth, they did some of the replacement parts, and at some point I think they did a '60 Plymouth 2 door kit, but never the '60 Plymouth wagon. If they repopped something as a kit, it was usually harder to find than that particular kit.

If you can find the "Modelhaus" '60 Plymouth Wagon kit on the auction site, I'm sure you could find at least 1 or 2 in styrene on the same site every week. I think I have seen several other auctions by the same seller. While decently built, some are not Modelhaus resin kits, or at least, they are relatively common kits that were never done by the Modelhaus, but they all get that "Modelhaus" label. 

The thinking might have been: Modelhaus= $$$. Stick "Modelhaus" in the subject line, and - cha-ching!

I think it would perhaps make sense for some Modelhaus kits to be considered fairly valuable- at least, the ones that were unique (never offered in plastic or by any other caster, like some of the Mopar wagons, etc.). Time will tell, but I do expect that their unique stuff will become pretty valuable.   

It doesn't make sense for a Modelhaus kit copy of an old annual subject to be worth any more than a clean copy of the original annual subject (for instance - the MPC '68 Coronet. I wouldn't pay more for a resin copy, no matter how nice, than I would for an original).

Edited by CapSat 6

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or you can spend $99.00 on this completely pristine, unmolested original.

s-l1600.jpg

That kit is terrible! I actually paid $15 to not have it. Years ago, a member here wanted to trade it for a kit I had for trade. But, he couldn't post photos of it. I told him to send it and if I liked it, I would send my kit. If I didn't, I would send it back and repay his postage. As soon as I saw it in person, the decision was easy. I paid to send it back with $7.50 in the box.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I can concede that point as long as everyone agrees to condemn anybody that refers to factory stock building as "boring", or any number of other more abrasive terms which I have often heard.

In another recent thread, several members felt that they were being disrespected over the same wheel remarks, but nobody seemed to be bothered by the old geezer "get off my lawn" and "mobility scooter" statements about those of us that prefer stock.

It is a two way street.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

That kit is terrible! I actually paid $15 to not have it. Years ago, a member here wanted to trade it for a kit I had for trade. But, he couldn't post photos of it. I told him to send it and if I liked it, I would send my kit. If I didn't, I would send it back and repay his postage. As soon as I saw it in person, the decision was easy. I paid to send it back with $7.50 in the box.

Oh, I don't know.

I did pretty well with mine and traded it along with a few other parts and a glue bomb '64 GTO for a complete Johan 1968 Olds 442 kit. ^_^

It's pretty much on line with every other Johan kit from that era.

It was never really meant to be a kit with an opening hood and engine.

Johan should have just left it as a curbside kit and it wouldn't have been any different that any of the other Johan kits from '59-'61.

Steve

2 hours ago, High octane said:

I have a few Modelhaus kits that I'll probably never will build, even though I thought so when I bought them. A '57 Olds hardtop, a '60 Olds Convert, and I believe a '68 Coronet R/T. I also have a ot of plastic like many of us that I'll probably never build either. Sighhhh.

If you ever want to shed the '57 Olds, give me a shout. :D

Steve

14 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can concede that point as long as everyone agrees to condemn anybody that refers to factory stock building as "boring", or any number of other more abrasive terms which I have often heard.

In another recent thread, several members felt that they were being disrespected over the same wheel remarks, but nobody seemed to be bothered by the old geezer "get off my lawn" and "mobility scooter" statements about those of us that prefer stock.

It is a two way street.

Steve

Steve, as you know, I did not participate in that particular thread and nor would I belittle anyone elses build decisions. 

Although, truth be told, I did try to find a pic of a mobility scooter with donk wheels on it to post as a joke, I came up empty. ?

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

Although, truth be told, I did try to find a pic of a mobility scooter with donk wheels on it to post as a joke, I came up empty. ?

That's my point.

We some times tend to take things far to seriously.

Just let it roll off of your back.

It's not worth the confrontation.

By the way, this is the best that I could do. ;)

5.-Speedster-Wheelchair.jpg

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's my point.

We some times tend to take things far to seriously.

Just let it roll off of your back.

It's not worth the confrontation.

By the way, this is the best that I could do. ;)

5.-Speedster-Wheelchair.jpg

Steve

??