Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan

GeeBee

While waiting for the Molotow liquid chrome to dry on the small parts on the AMT version I'm building,  I got this one down from the shelf, I thought While I'd got it down, I might as well make a start on it, I've had the paint for a little while, supplied by MCW Finishes. 

I thought it was pretty much the same as the AMT version, but the interior apart from the dashboard is totally different,  there's a few other things are different, like the front bumper, I'll be painting it in Highland green with a Surf green roof.

I'll be building it factory stock, of course......

20201022_213324.jpg

20201022_213337.jpg

20200929_133529.jpg

1957-chevrolet-bel-air (10).jpeg

Edited by GeeBee

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Oh yeah; nice color combo!

There was a few colours i was going to go with, in the end i went with the Highland green, I've seen photos of it without the 2 tone roof panel, but I do like the two tone option, I found it very hard to find photos of the 2 door sedan in this colour though.

61880-1957-chevrolet-bel-air-2-door-hardtop.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Spent around an hour cleaning up the bodyshell, removing the mould lines from the top of the front wings and along the middle of the bootlid,  along the corners of the front scuttle and on the tops of the rear wings, rescribed the panel lines as they were pretty shallow,  cut the bonnet and chassis of the parts tree and cleaned up where it was joined on the parts tree, both dry fitted just fine, this Revell plastic is certainly softer and more translucent than the AMT plastic on my other 57 Chevy 

20201023_132158.jpg

20201023_132207.jpg

20201023_132215.jpg

20201023_145803.jpg

20201023_145753.jpg

Have this kit, love this kit (and have a secret dream to build a more accurate gasser version than the MPC offering using this as a base).

If it turns out anything like your nice AMT '57, it will be a build thread to watch. 

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

"Bootlid", "front scuttle"!!  OK Geoff, translation ????

Just poking fun at ya LOL.

You know the first I travelled to  ?? me and a friend went into a pretty posh restaurant, I asked if they did "Fish & Chips" you should have seen their face....

There were plenty of other times I asked for things that just got a strange look....

I've had better luck with being understood while travelling and working in Germany.....

2 hours ago, gman said:

If it turns out anything like your nice AMT '57, it will be a build thread to watch. 

Thank you, I've got a few more 57 Chevys to build as well, although I think I'll be building the AMT 58 Edsel after I've finished these two 57 Chevys I have on the go at the moment. 

unnamed (5).jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Phew, I'm glad you're OK with it but actually I really do want to know what the "front scuttle" is.

I've been sitting on 2 of the Black Widow kits waiting for the time to build them.

Is that the kit engine, it almost looks resin?

The scuttle is the panel between the windscreen and the bonnet where the wiper arms fit, and yes,it's the kit engine.

Edited by GeeBee

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I've been sitting on 2 of the Black Widow kits waiting for the time to build them.

As I've still got a nearly full bottle of Larkspur blue left over from the AMT Bel Air, I'm thinking of doing the 150 Business sedan in 2 tone Harbour blue and Larkspur blue.

unnamed (7).jpg

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Of course you haven't,  it's strange that we're supposed to speak the same language, only no one told the Americans or the English....

Allegedly, Winston Churchill said, "Americans and British are one people separated by a common language." in a speech to Congress in the early 1940s.

I have a few of the new tool AMT '57 Belairs but don't have the Revell sedan. Any preference as to either?

3 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I have a few of the new tool AMT '57 Belairs but don't have the Revell sedan. Any preference as to either?

The AMT body was much better than the Revell version, as it didn't need as much cleaning up, the mold lines on top of the wings were a nightmare to remove without sanding off the raised trim, but saying that the gearbox mounts on the AMT version certainly put my blood pressure up, but of course, there very realistic, just small fiddly parts to get lined up perfectly. 

The only reason I got the Revell one is that it's a post sedan, the AMT is the Sports Coupe, so although they look alike, the body and interiors are different, I'm not sure if the engines are different or not,  but the air filters certainly are.

Another fine '57 from Herr Geoff is on its way ! 

I prefer the 150 and 210 coupes' less-embellished trim and such ; a sedate-but-colourful paint and interior will be the pop .

I've got the Black Widow in my stash (Christmas gift from 10+ years ago) . I'm thinking of putting the AMT Pontiac 421 under its bonnet just to raise some brows . 

I'm looking forward to watching your '7 come together , Geoff !