Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan

GeeBee

33 minutes ago, Nxr said:

Did they ever use the 57 chevy as police? I am trying to convert some kits into 2 door cruisers so i can build my 50 state patrol collection, over the years to come :D

Apparently they did, although someone will have to tell you what models these are, but there certainly not Bel Air version 

60a126aea24ec903278bcf09ce19fe5a.jpg

a791ab801a8c86625315dff46d42f748.jpg

1957-Chevrolet-Police-Car-0001.jpg

23 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Thank you, I've got a few more 57 Chevys to build as well, although I think I'll be building the AMT 58 Edsel after I've finished these two 57 Chevys I have on the go at the moment. 

unnamed (5).jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

I look forward to seeing your next build. I have a question about your 2 in 1 Black Widow kit. My question is if you have looked at the body and is it a 150 series or the Bel Air body. The reason is because when this kit was first released they somehow had a mix up and were putting the Bel Air bodies in the kit box in stead of the 150. Revell was good about exchanging these and in many cases they had the retailers return the inter kit for a replacement with the correct body. In my case I contacted Revell and they sent me a 150 body and told me to keep the Bel Air body that was in the kit. . 

8 hours ago, Nxr said:

Did they ever use the 57 chevy as police? I am trying to convert some kits into 2 door cruisers so i can build my 50 state patrol collection, over the years to come :D

Police departments normally purchased the cheapest models. 150 2-Door sedan would have been used since they were manufactured as fleet oriented. The NYPD used Chevrolet as an RMP (Radio Motor Patrol vehicle) for only one model year during the 1950s. That was the 1956 Chevrolet 150.

image.jpeg.daa861b09dae456d956f1e8302953f5f.jpeg image.jpeg.05403fbd40fbd74718a7675fc9e079f1.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow good stuff I don't even find these pictures on Google, I really like the two tone police paint jobs they come out nice even with my tiny Walmart table and 20 dollar airbrush "studio" 

Edited by Nxr

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I have two of the "Black Widow" kits, one the original and one re-issue.  Both are base 150's.

I've got one of the early releases and one of the reissued kit, I'll have a look in the morning, i took a load of models down to London last time we went down there, I'm now stuck in Solihull, as we went back into lockdown again, I'm not sure which one I've got up here.

19 hours ago, espo said:

I have a question about your 2 in 1 Black Widow kit. My question is if you have looked at the body and is it a 150 series or the Bel Air body. The reason is because when this kit was first released they somehow had a mix up and were putting the Bel Air bodies in the kit box in stead of the 150. 

Checked it this morning, it's the earlier released version I have up here, it was factory sealed, but as I bought it to build, I thought I'd better check the contents, luckily I've got the correct bodyshell in there.

20201025_115931.jpg

20201025_120002.jpg

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Checked it this morning, it's the earlier released version I have up here, it was factory sealed, but as I bought it to build, I thought I'd better check the contents, luckily I've got the correct bodyshell in there.

20201025_115931.jpg

20201025_120002.jpg

I agree this is the earliest issue that I recall. The Black Widow issue that I was asking about was the one with the old Dayton Beach Race Track on the front. For some reason some of the first boxes of that had the Bel Air body inside instead of the 150 series body trim. This didn't bother me at all but for someone expecting to build a 150 series car it may have been a disappointment.  Revell was good enough to replace the 150 body for me and they didn't even care about the  Bel Air body so that was a big bonus for myself. Like so many others I enjoy watching your attention to trim and color details on your OEM type builds and look forward to seeing this one as well.  

5 hours ago, espo said:

I agree this is the earliest issue that I recall. The Black Widow issue that I was asking about was the one with the old Dayton Beach Race Track on the front. For some reason some of the first boxes of that had the Bel Air body inside instead of the 150 series body trim. This didn't bother me at all but for someone expecting to build a 150 series car it may have been a disappointment.  Revell was good enough to replace the 150 body for me and they didn't even care about the  Bel Air body so that was a big bonus for myself. Like so many others I enjoy watching your attention to trim and color details on your OEM type builds and look forward to seeing this one as well.  

That's the other one I've got down in London, again I'm pretty sure it's factory sealed, I'll check it when I'm able to get back down there, I'm hoping to get the new spraying room sorted very soon so I can get some airbrushing done.

40 minutes ago, landman said:

I have no doubt this will be super nice. What blows me away, though, is the cutting mat.Do you buy a new one for each build??

The new one was a very nice gift from Revell, would have been rude not to use it....