Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 scale kits, good ,bad, ugly?

As they say, its not the years, its the miles. Well I am still young (50) but the hard miles have taken their toll on my body. I have really bad arthritis in my wrist and hands, my eyes are not what they were and my hands are not as steady as they used to be. For these reasons I have been building truck models for the last number of years. The parts are bigger and the Italeri 1:24 stuff is wonderful and easy to build.

However I am looking into 1:16 scale stuff. Round2 has reissued several older kits. They seem like they are just 1:25 scale stuff made bigger, same level of detail. I got the 1:16 Firebird 2 days ago and I like it, but it needs a bit of work to make it right in a few spots. 

What brands/kits should I look at for good well done kits? I see a lot of old Minicraft Classic cars on the bay. Model A's, Caddy's, etc. R2 is reissuing the 55 Chevy and 55 Nomad, 57 T-Bird and the Firebird. No Corvette as of yet. Revell? Tamiya? Heller? Entex? Fugimi?

As a side note, I did score a 1:8 scale Corvette 1985 for a reasonable price. 

Let me know what you think, what should I look for? I am into anything other than Super Cars (Lambo, Ferrari, etc. ) Porsche is OK. 

You can't go wrong with Tamiya (in any scale).  Fujimi is also another one that makes good kits (in any scale).  If course if you prefer American makes, they don't do those.

If you want large, try some of the Tamiya 1:6 Motorcycles! ;)  There is also 1:12 scale (bikes and cars).

I've done a few 16th scale cars. Liked MPCs 78 Corvette and 79 & 82 Trans Ams. Revells 83 Firebird and Z28 came out really nice. But AMTs 64.5 Mustang was the WORST! Barely any detail with opening doors that didn't open to show anything worthwhile. Turned me off from anything else they had in that scale. 

Kits in 1/12. My favorite was the Revell/exRenwall 65 Mustang GT. There are a lot of great kits in this size.

1/8th has even more winners, especially Monograms Corvettes, T/As, Jaguar and Big Rods. And if your wallet can handle them - look for the old Pochers. Those might be a little difficult with shaky hands, but if you're able and have the tenacity to finish one, what a prize to have on your shelf!

For me 1/16 is overgrown 1/24. In both those sizes I like the classics era cars. I'm doing up a 1/16 Minicraft Model A roadster now actually. I have a 1/16 Entex Mercer all painted and ready to assemble for a year now, just haven't gotten back to it. Pretty much you're stuck with building these stock. In 1/24 the Deusenbergs , the Packards and Cadillacs are decent sized. Minicraft has a few construction things I think they could have avoided but they turn out nice, just take your time. The Entex Mercer has many details but that paint with stripes is quite the task.

Back in the day I built the 1/8 Jag, Big T and Big Deuce. Of those my favorite was the Duece. But that was back in the 1960's, I couldn't begin to tell you of the details, plus to find a kit today you discover they are all expensive . The Entex and Minicraft kits are around and the 1/24 Connoiseur Classic series Monogram kits are quite decent if you like old classic/antique era cars.

The 1/16 AMT kits are a bit crude, in my opinion. Very similar to the 1/16 MPC Trans Am Firebird you mentioned in fit, fidelity, finish, etc. Wouldn't be my first choice.

The two Revell 1/16 '34 Fords are both very good kits. Dated, yes, but they are from the late '80s golden era of Revell/Monogram engineering, and everything fits well and looks good. Now, they are not perfect (tires are 14" and 15" Goodyear Eagle STs), but I would recommend either as a starting point.

I don't love the early ('82 Z/28, Firebird SE) Revell 1/16 kits, and the even earlier snap-together Camaro, Firebird, and Corvette should be avoided at all costs. Even the currently available/reissued Porsche 928 was originally a snap kit, so I'd suggest avoiding that one, too. The modern era Revell-AG 1/16 VW Beetle and "Bus" kits are excellent, and I would recommend both highly.

More info to digest:

Edited by Casey

Also in 1/16 scale is the Revell drag racing series. Possibly the best early 70's darg racers. The front and rear engine dragsters are pretty nice. The initial two funny cars, the Gene Snow Charger and the Whipple and McCullough Duster are accurate. Unfortunately Revell used the dated chassis for newer body styles like their Vega. The Duster body evolved but Revell didn't change it. Be aware that any Revell kit over ten years old is likely to have deformed rear slicks. 

Thanks for all the info, this is very helpful. I am really excited about the 1/8 Corvette I got, I built it back in 1985 when it was a ne kit and loved it, but I as a teen and well, it went away. 

I love VWs, so those are next on the list. My father used to restore Model A Fords and he and I used to build the old Gabriel Metal kits in the 70's as a kid. So, Model A Fords and VWs are a win for me. Porsche classic stuff, 356 etc. is great. 

As for the Trans Am kit I have. Yes, it lacks some details and is incorrect in a few places, but it gives me the opportunity to fix it and detail it in a scale that I can work with.  It makes it more than just a kit to assemble, gives me more to work on. I may try some of the other AMT/R2 kits for this reason, it will take me longer to finish if I have a bunch of things to correct. 

My hands don't shake, but they lack the fine motor movements I need to really detail the small stuff. 

My buddy does 1/35 military stuff and war planes. Incredible stuff, I just don't know how he does it. He is a couple years older than I am. 

While I am not flush with cash, I don't mind spending a little on my hobby. I have no vises (smoking, drinking, gambling), I am not into an other real expensive hobbies ( I do have a motorcycle and a 4x4 Overlander), I don't golf or Ski. I get paid good and make extra money from travel pay I can spend on my hobbies. So, I don't mind spending $100 or maybe a little more for a kit that will provide me with 50-100 (or more) hours of entertainment.  I could be spending the same $100 on other entertainment that would not last as long. 

Edited by Oldmopars

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

Thanks for all the info, this is very helpful. I am really excited about the 1/8 Corvette I got, I built it back in 1985 when it was a ne kit and loved it, but I as a teen and well, it went away. 

I love VWs, so those are next on the list. My father used to restore Model A Fords and he and I used to build the old Gabriel Metal kits in the 70's as a kid. So, Model A Fords and VWs are a win for me. Porsche classic stuff, 356 etc. is great. 

As for the Trans Am kit I have. Yes, it lacks some details and is incorrect in a few places, but it gives me the opportunity to fix it and detail it in a scale that I can work with.  It makes it more than just a kit to assemble, gives me more to work on. I may try some of the other AMT/R2 kits for this reason, it will take me longer to finish if I have a bunch of things to correct. 

My hands don't shake, but they lack the fine motor movements I need to really detail the small stuff. 

My buddy does 1/35 military stuff and war planes. Incredible stuff, I just don't know how he does it. He is a couple years older than I am. 

While I am not flush with cash, I don't mind spending a little on my hobby. I have no vises (smoking, drinking, gambling), I am not into an other real expensive hobbies ( I do have a motorcycle and a 4x4 Overlander), I don't golf or Ski. I get paid good and make extra money from travel pay I can spend on my hobbies. So, I don't mind spending $100 or maybe a little more for a kit that will provide me with 50-100 (or more) hours of entertainment.  I could be spending the same $100 on other entertainment that would not last as long. 

I have two Minicraft Model A roadsters in 1/16, one unopened and the other was too but now am building on it.. Someplace out in the world is the sedan, that I want lol !  I paid $60 each for these because they were sealed boxes and buy it now, never opened but they are around cheaper than that. I haven't checked lately on the sedan. They also make a  Model A delivery panel in 1/16 fwiw. Another I'd like to land is the 28 Lincoln touring car.

I'd like the 1/24 Parckard too, you know some day assuming I last that long lol !.

Edited by Dave G.

The Round1 1/16 Firebird kit is nice, but does take a little work, especially in the rear. Here is mine which is actually the turbo kit with my wheels, but it is based off the same kit:

TApic01.jpg.cc79b90b2dba4b5adf6cbe6ddeb804fe.jpg

The Revell 1/16 GTA and Iroc kits build well, with some inaccuracies though. Here is the Iroc kit:

20171001_173303.jpg.13a886e640c0efd459a509ae2a52d088.jpg

The 1/12 Camaro and Corvette kits also come out excellent with some work:

realgoodfirst2.jpg.92aa4cd1ea5f7ee09972c6610914b578.jpg

finished3.jpg.56fc574b375470a77553b1fd12871c62.jpg

The 1/8 Corvette and Camaro kits also build well:

alpha1.jpg.4b075e5355d02725f601bcc0c473103c.jpg

iroc1.jpg.254298b834c6a4371442e8fd257641f8.jpg

And I agree with others....the 1/12 Revell Shelby GT kit is awful!!!

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

The Round1 1/16 Firebird kit is nice, but does take a little work, especially in the rear. Here is mine which is actually the turbo kit with my wheels, but it is based off the same kit:

TApic01.jpg.cc79b90b2dba4b5adf6cbe6ddeb804fe.jpg

The Revell 1/16 GTA and Iroc kits build well, with some inaccuracies though. Here is the Iroc kit:

20171001_173303.jpg.13a886e640c0efd459a509ae2a52d088.jpg

The 1/12 Camaro and Corvette kits also come out excellent with some work:

realgoodfirst2.jpg.92aa4cd1ea5f7ee09972c6610914b578.jpg

finished3.jpg.56fc574b375470a77553b1fd12871c62.jpg

The 1/8 Corvette and Camaro kits also build well:

alpha1.jpg.4b075e5355d02725f601bcc0c473103c.jpg

iroc1.jpg.254298b834c6a4371442e8fd257641f8.jpg

And I agree with others....the 1/12 Revell Shelby GT kit is awful!!!

I would love to see more of these, do you have links to any of the builds? I an really interested in the Trans Am and its wheels. You said you make those? They set it off really nice. 

I would love to get every kit listed by everyone, but I also need to be practical, I only have a small amount of shelf space, so most builds end up going back into a box and packed away. The fun for me is the build, not displaying them. 

On 10/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, Oldmopars said:

I would love to see more of these, do you have links to any of the builds? I an really interested in the Trans Am and its wheels. You said you make those? They set it off really nice. 

I would love to get every kit listed by everyone, but I also need to be practical, I only have a small amount of shelf space, so most builds end up going back into a box and packed away. The fun for me is the build, not displaying them. 

I don`t have many "In Progress" threads, as it takes everything in me just to have time to build, much less post. :D I did make the wheels and tires for this. For the wheels, I drew them up on my computer, then uploaded them to shapeways for a master. Then, after some cleanup, I made a mold and cast them in resin and sent them off to chrome. I am hoping to build a couple more with those wheels. 

Here are more pics of the Trans Am though: 

I`ve built a bunch of the 1/12 Camaro and Corvette kits over the past couple decades. I can post some links to them if that is what you are looking for. Here is one of my favorites:

6aebay.jpg.fd5cc84c1fe67f66e4d165b1bff1815b.jpg

Edited by Hawk312

• 3 months later...

I bought this one a decade plus ago, and was instantly disappointed. I think I had seen the contents, had semi-low, but hopeful, expectations, and was still left left down upon receiving the kit. It's got that 65%-ish feeling, like the designed only spent 65% of the available time on it, so it looks like a '68 Corvette, but none of the details are crisp, clear, nor accurate, so you're left to do all the time consuming detail work yourself. Pretty much the only game in town, and I has intentions of making a Funny Car body out if it anyway, but fool me once...never again.

116Entex68Corvette.jpg.41f171ab48d73e41365078ccaee85096.jpg

• 3 years later...

I bought the AMT 1978 Corvette 25 Aniversary 1/16 recently and i was actualy suprised. Quality was good parts had nice details and it came with optional racing seats, the fit of the chassi to the tub seems like rubish but overal nice details compared to my other Revell Baja kit. The Revell Baja Fever needs allot of work in my opinion and is very inacurate.

AMT-6705-3.jpg?v-cache=1687987477

53 minutes ago, Fantom said:

3D printing has really opened up the possibilities in the larger scales. There’s several companies that print some pretty sweet large scale parts and bodies. 

Thats for sure! I have printed allot of parts for my 1/16 cars.

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4231.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken
  • Like 1