Model Cars Magazine Forum

American Amalgam -- A 1940 Pickup Mashup

1954477784_01FordWillys.jpg.5a7cdd1d5850cf0e20a2b8899e33c4a5.jpg

New member/first time post, although I’ve been looking in on the forums for quite some time.

Anyway, a while back I built an AMT '40 Willys gasser as a coupe, which left that kit’s pickup cab and bed with no apparent use . . . until I  found the remnants of a trashed AMT '40 Ford sedan in a scrap box. Some styrene surgery mated the cowl and front clip of the Ford (plus the rear fenders after I widened them) to the cab/bed of the Willys.  This one is a curbside build with only minimal details although it still took some finessing to marry the two bodies and make it all fit the '40 Ford chassis.  Paint is from an ancient can of Rustoleum called 'light sage' with a couple coats of Model Master Clear.  The grill, headlights and bumper were re-done with Alclad.  Interior came from the Ford – stock, but shortened, narrowed and painted with Testor’s Root Beer.  The wheels, tires and suspension all came from spare parts bins.

A fairly quick build and it’s only a shelf model, but I’ve done far worse things with my bench time.  Thanks for taking a look – hope you enjoy.  Questions and comments welcome.   

02 Ford Willys.jpg

03 Ford Willys.jpg

04 Ford Willys.jpg

05 Ford Willys.jpg

Ford Willys 01 WIP.jpg

Ford Willys 02 WIP.jpg

On 10/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Welcome among us. This is a suberb mash-up, it truly looks "factoty". Bravo!

CT

Thanks, Claude . . . coming from one of the most creative and inspiring modelers around, I really appreciate the kind words.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, TransAmMike said:

Welcome Steve.  That really is a cool, simple clean build.  ?

Thanks, Mike . . . glad you liked my little endeavor using leftover parts -- it was fun and I think that's the point. Whether its a Willys or a Ford pickup is kinda like the old story about whether zebras are white with black stripes or black with white stripes.

On 10/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Modlbldr said:

Nice looking custom work. I like how you mated the two kits together. I love ideas like this and enjoy trying to work the details out. Great work!

Later-

Thanks Tom . . . Appreciate the compliment.  Always fun to look at pieces from disparate sources and say " . . . what if . . ."?

When I first looked at it I could tell something did not look right, but could not figure out what it was.  Thought maybe it had been chopped or possibly sectioned.  That beauty gets your attention,  I would still be scratching my head if you hadn't told us. Very fine bit of modeling.