Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doors opening/Hinge selection..Need Help??

11-11-08

Guy's

I thought I would ask for your help...Please

On the Freightliner that is now on the work bench...I plan on having the doors open to reveal the interior..1st for me...Cutting the doors out..no problem..where I am divided is what to use for the hinges...Any suggestions...

I did order up a new set of hinges from DetailMaster for 1/24-1/25th scale...they would work good on pickup trucks..Model Car Garage has the piano style..photo-etched..which I am leaning towards for that low profile...

Even I can learn something new...Thank you for any input....Kurt

Kurt,

The Model Car Garage hinges are very good. I used them on my Autocar twinsteer dumper for the hood hinges, the 351 Pete for the door hinges and the butterfly hood hinges. I am also putting them on my A64B Autocar doors and butterfly hood. They are a bit tricky at times but with a little patience the result is worth the trouble. Check my photo albums for details.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/

Good Luck!

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

PS Thanks for reminding me I need to get some more hinges on order.

11-15-08

Dave...

You hit the nail on the head...and put my mind to rest.

I did recently order a set from the Model Car Garage..and look forward to using them...

I forgot about your Pete...I checked out your fotki site..on the build...when you painted the cab..how did the hinges take the paint? Did they "gum" up at all??

Again Thank you for your input...How the "heck" have you been?? Building anything new these days...Take care, Kurt

Kurt,

The Model Car Garage hinges are very good. I used them on my Autocar twinsteer dumper for the hood hinges, the 351 Pete for the door hinges and the butterfly hood hinges. I am also putting them on my A64B Autocar doors and butterfly hood. They are a bit tricky at times but with a little patience the result is worth the trouble. Check my photo albums for details.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/

Good Luck!

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

PS Thanks for reminding me I need to get some more hinges on order.

11-15-08

Dave...

You hit the nail on the head...and put my mind to rest.

I did recently order a set from the Model Car Garage..and look forward to using them...

I forgot about your Pete...I checked out your fotki site..on the build...when you painted the cab..how did the hinges take the paint? Did they "gum" up at all??

Again Thank you for your input...How the "heck" have you been?? Building anything new these days...Take care, Kurt

Kurt,you can leave the hinges off till you paint ,then install the doors.This will leave the hinges bare.I've seen quite a few trucks with polished hinges.

Kurt,

You could paint the hinges or leave them polished. I painted mine they were OK but you have to make sure that the top coat covers all the primer/base coat otherwise you will see different colours in the hinges.

Thanks for asking how I've been.

This year has been a busy one with work and other things, when I get home at night I just haven't had the time or energy to make progress. I still keep a check on this forum and my other favourite forum ATHS and of course Tim's web site. You cannot spend 5 minutes looking at Tim's web site maybe an hour minimum. Doesn't leave much time left to build trucks. I'm still working on the Autocar A64B and when I get to it, I am enjoying the escape of doing something totally different and relaxing. For anyone thinking of building the Autocar it is a great model with lots of potential and well recommended. I should be finished about Christmas probably start the trailer in the new year.

I bought a new PC this last weekend (Just got on the Internet tonight). This thing has a mind of its own and does what it wants. Quite scary really. Like something of a Terminator movie. According to the lady in the shop it has 1 Terabite of memory. I always thought a terabite was a something from the Upper Jurasic period. Anyways this thing has the windows Vista programme. Its similar to XP but different. I bought it because my old computer was starting to struggle and I may have a go at making my own decals. So I wanted something that could cope with most things I could throw at it. I'm quite looking forward to finding out more about it and seeing how far I can go with it befoore it scammbles my brain or it blows up. We'll see who gets the better of who!!

Enough waffling from me. Good Luck with the Freightliner and keep us posted on progress.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates