Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

I'm going to make my own fuel and brake lines so the molded in ones on the underbody needed to be removed .  I used a cheap little grinder from Harbor Freight to do this , it's not very powerful and won't do any major grinding but it's perfect for this ! The primer helps me see what I'm doing .

Primed and with the front subframe and rear suspension set in place .

I used .015" and .022" diameter solder to form the brake and fuel lines . Clamps were cut from a thin strip of aluminum tape and held in place with a small dab of CA glue .

The front subframe won't be glued in place until final assembly .

I need to figure out the parking brake cables then I can install the rear suspension . 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Your floor pan cleaned up nicely and new lines look more realistic. I'll be getting one of those grinders, it looks like it might be handy for small work like this. 

Thanks David !   Like I said it's not very powerful but will do small tasks , be sure to trash the Chinese batteries that come with it and by some good AAA batteries .  I did the whole floorpan with just one pair of Duracell batteries .

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Bob, you were very successful in removing the molded brake lines (that's the kind of detail I love to see).  I love your plumbing job and the overspray is just like Mopar did back then.  Beautiful Roadrunner in the making, keep doing your good work sir! ?

Thanks much Francis !   I thought I did too much overspray but maybe it will look okay when finished .

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bob!

Wow, impressive job!

It's a chore to run lines on 1/1 cars... I can imagine the hours at the bench for this car. World class, bravo!

CT

Thanks much Claude , actually not that much time at all !  It would have taken me just as long trying to paint the molded-in lines , do touch-up , paint some more , more touch-up , more paint , etc . . . 

On 11/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Very neat and tidy job. Making me want to do the same on my current build, inspiring stuff!

Thanks Gareth !

The last couple of times I did parking brake cables they were just a couple of wires glued in place .  I did attempt to make some brackets but not successfully , this time with my new glasses and a magnifying lamp it was quite a bit easier !  It was still a challenge that took all week but most of the time was spent looking for correct size wires and figuring out how to make the hardware .

Here's the finished chassis .  The front subframe , exhaust , and driveshaft are held temporarily with tacky glue so they can removed for the engine installation during final assembly .

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Superb job Bob, very convincing!  It makes all the difference in the world when you can clearly see what you are doing, thanks to these new glasses...  All those cables and brake lines running across the floor pan are perfect! ?

Thanks very much Francis !  Being able to see again is great . . . too bad the glasses don't help my hands . 

Before prepping the  body for paint there are a couple of things I want to add , one is these hood pins .

After looking at some photos I marked the location of the pins on the hood .

Of course they don't line up with the plastic pads I added to the fenders .

I didn't want to make new pads so I checked the size of the scuff plates against my locations and decided to move the pins outward and then drilled the holes .

The next issue was that the "eye" end of the pins wouldn't go through the scuff plates (top image). After some careful filing , and ruining two pins , I have two that will drop through the scuff plates (bottom image).

I'm glad that's done . I still need to add some material to the underside of the fender pads so the pins can be epoxied in place .

I hadn't planned on gluing the hood pins now but figured if I waited something wouldn't fit . . . or I'd ruin the paint gluing them in place .  So after adding some material underneath I used CA to glue them in place .

Earlier I also transferred the hole locations from the Charger body for the rear spoiler .

The last couple of days I made the hood hinges . Thanks Steve for the great idea of using magnets !

Thin strips of .008" thick sheet metal were added to the hood and inner fenders using CA glue .

Those tiny magnets are much stronger than they look !

21 hours ago, rustybill1960 said:

Totally awesome work Man!

Thank You for sharing with Us here

Watching

Later

Russell

Thanks Russell !

17 hours ago, slusher said:

That’s a good tip on those hood hinges,

Thanks again Carl !  Using magnets on the hood hinges was Steve Guthmiller's idea .

More body prep .  I scribed the panel lines ,  added the molding for the canopy roof , and located the mirrors using .020" brass rod as pins . The mirrors are from the Revell '71 Hemi Cuda kit .

Edited by TooOld