Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Roadrunner

TooOld

8 hours ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Russell !

Thanks again Carl !  Using magnets on the hood hinges was Steve Guthmiller's idea .

Thanks for the recognition Bob, and as is usually the case, the collaboration of ideas produces advancements.

I like your idea of using the metal strips on the under side of the hood!

That could possibly save me the hassle of building the "slide in" bracket and channel system that I used on my '64 Pontiac on my next project.

Great idea! ;)

Steve

16 hours ago, kelson said:

Man,does this look awesome!!.

15 hours ago, Danno said:

Most excellent!!  A true credit to the hobby.

??

7 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

WOW! I am very impressed with mods and detail you are putting into this one. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks much guys !

9 hours ago, Nazz said:

Hey Bob, great build! I would like to know what size the magnets  were you used for the hood hinges and where you got them?

Jerry

Jerry , the magnets came from AmazingMagnets.com .  Lots of different sizes , the ones I bought are in the pic below .

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks for the recognition Bob, and as is usually the case, the collaboration of ideas produces advancements.

I like your idea of using the metal strips on the under side of the hood!

That could possibly save me the hassle of building the "slide in" bracket and channel system that I used on my '64 Pontiac on my next project.

Great idea! ;)

Steve

Sure thing Steve , my hinges didn't turn out the best but I think the metal strips will do the trick .  I was going to paint right over them but have decided to mask them for painting this time just to be sure .  The thinnest metal I could find was K&S brand purchased from Grainger .

5 hours ago, TooOld said:

Sure thing Steve , my hinges didn't turn out the best but I think the metal strips will do the trick .  I was going to paint right over them but have decided to mask them for painting this time just to be sure .  The thinnest metal I could find was K&S brand purchased from Grainger .

I painted over the magnets on my '64 with no adverse affects.

The magnets appear to be strong enough to function very well regardless.

Although on my project, they only had a single coat of paint over them.

My local Hobby Lobby carries K&S products.

I'll definitely check to see what they carry for metal strips the next time I'm in.

I'll also check on the smaller magnets that you used.

Mine are 1/8th inch, by 1/32nd.

Steve

20 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I painted over the magnets on my '64 with no adverse affects.

The magnets appear to be strong enough to function very well regardless.

Although on my project, they only had a single coat of paint over them.

My local Hobby Lobby carries K&S products.

I'll definitely check to see what they carry for metal strips the next time I'm in.

I'll also check on the smaller magnets that you used.

Mine are 1/8th inch, by 1/32nd.

Steve

I'd be okay with the two magnets going to the hood , but I only used one magnet on the bottom of the hinge and it just barely holds everything up now . Next time it's two on top and two on the bottom .

Sprayed two coats of primer yesterday . Before that I used some clear sealer I bought a while ago at the body supply house , don't know if it will stop any bleed-thru but thought I'd give it a try . Plan on spraying the color today .  Boy I forgot how ugly that yellow plastic was , looks much better now !

A small thing but I also mounted the engine to the sub-frame .

9 hours ago, TooOld said:

I'd be okay with the two magnets going to the hood , but I only used one magnet on the bottom of the hinge and it just barely holds everything up now . Next time it's two on top and two on the bottom .

I used 2 on the bottom, but one on the hinge and one on the firewall.

I suppose that might provide better adhesion than one magnet on a metal sheet?

Steve

Bob, I tool have been watching this one come together.  Love your methodical, step by step approach to putting together and detailing out your RR.

I did a similar chassis swap with my MPC '74 Road Runner project (a copy of my factory ordered 1/1) and posted the results in this forum folder a few months back.  

Exciting to see your progress......TIM 

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I used 2 on the bottom, but one on the hinge and one on the firewall.

I suppose that might provide better adhesion than one magnet on a metal sheet?

Steve

I'm sure you're right about that , I didn't take it into account when I used only one magnet on the bottom of the hinge .

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Bob, I tool have been watching this one come together.  Love your methodical, step by step approach to putting together and detailing out your RR.

I did a similar chassis swap with my MPC '74 Road Runner project (a copy of my factory ordered 1/1) and posted the results in this forum folder a few months back.  

Exciting to see your progress......TIM 

Thanks much Tim , actually seeing your '74 RR is what inspired me to build this one !  And your beautiful '71 GTX from earlier this month really sets a high bar .

Got some painting done .  I had ordered Y8 Gold Leaf Poly but when I sprayed some samples it had a greenish tint to it that I didn't care for so I sprayed it with Testors Inca Gold .  A shade darker than the Gold Leaf but looks much better to me .

On 12/5/2020 at 11:06 AM, Biggu said:

This is a fabulous build.................. Mark Worman would be proud !

Thanks Jeff !

On 12/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, 72 Charger said:

Love the colour. That yellow plastic is horrid

Thanks Dave !   Yes  the yellow plastic is ugly , this is my first kit molded that color .

Painted the side markers , applied the decals , and cleared it !  Next is to mask everything and spray the vinyl top . 

I also finished the chassis .  I pre-fit this about a dozen times into the body so I have my fingers crossed it will go one more time .

Edited by TooOld

Man alive , that GY8 looks GREAT !  

I also like the de facto 'N97' Noise Reduction Package exhaust ( California models ) . Not sure if that was AMT's idea , or if it was a goof (the Street Machine version has the exhaust with the "Bazooka Tips" , in addition to the Ramcharger bonnet ) .

Now that I've got a set of the 1971 Plymouth Deluxe Wheel Covers , I'm going to start work on my 1971 Road Runner --- it's going to be painted GY3 Curious Yellow .

Thanks guys !

This is my first attempt at a vinyl top and I decided to use the black spray paint from a mile away technique described here on the forum .  First step was to mask everything completely so no overspray would get on the gold paint .

Then I grabbed my favorite can of generic flat black and sprayed a light mist coat from about 18" away , let it dry for 15-20 minutes then sprayed another mist coat . When that dried I had a nice smooth finish , obviously my cheap paint wasn't cheap enough !  After some thought I grabbed a can of Tamiya TS-14 Black and tried again .  To my pleasant surprise this time it worked !  A couple more light coats and then a light coat of Tamiya TS-79 Semi-Gloss Clear finished it off .  The texture looks good when the light hits it and it's not way out of scale . 

I'm definitely going to try another vinyl top soon , with a little practice I think it can only get better !

Edited by TooOld

On 12/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, afx said:

Vinyl top looks great and helps balance out the gold paint.

Thanks much JC ! 

I finished applying the BMF this morning .  Photos taken on my work bench never show the true color and I was curious what the gold paint would look like so I moved everything to my photo booth . . . much better ! :)