Model Cars Magazine Forum

Godzilla movies

skymnky721

ya know I was watching a Rodan vrs Godzilla movie today,{strictly for educational purposes only} and its amazing all the modelset work in those movies,,no CGI at all,,buildings,,cars,,city sets,,oceans..mountians,,operating military vehicles.  I think about all the building and work that went into all that,,very impressive.

I'm a big fan of Kaiju movies, of course Godzilla, and especially the Shōwa era films. I've always been inspired by the movie sets and the amazing work that went into them. It's interesting to note that even into the 2000's and with the availability of CGI that the movies still relied on lots of miniature work.

Edited by Phirewriter

I luv watching the old monster movies. My son and I used to watch a Godzilla movie almost every weekend. All the old black and white  Monster and Sci fi movies had Kool special effects and great dioramas .

Don't want  Hi jak Godzilla.

My favorite is Flash Gordan. Strings attached to the space ship to make them fly and land ,sparklers, for engines, and Roman Candles for missiles Gotta Luv IT.

3 hours ago, DonW said:

I always wondered when the monster first appeared in the film - someone shouted 'Godzilla!' How did they know it's name?

Lots of answer on Google

10 hours ago, DonW said:

I always wondered when the monster first appeared in the film - someone shouted 'Godzilla!' How did they know it's name?

It was explained in the original 1954 film "Gojira".

When the Japanese freighter Eiko-maru is destroyed near Odo Island, another ship – the Bingo-maru – is sent to investigate, only to meet the same fate with few survivors. A fishing boat from Odo is also destroyed, with one survivor. Fishing catches mysteriously drop to zero, blamed by an elder on the ancient sea creature known as "Gojira/Godzilla".

For those who get Turner Classic Movies, it recently showed the original 1954 Big Guy movie, "Gojira."  Since this is Halloween Month, TCM might show it again.  Keep watching the skies! Well, the satellites...

Once TCM had a Godzilla-Fest, and showed both "Gojira" and "Godzilla,"  the same movie with Raymond Burr edited into it for American audiences.  That one also set the precedent for the really bad English dubbing known and loved by non-Japanese Godzilla fans. 

I also had a friend in high school named Bill Gudmundson - really admired him because he made his own stop-motion kaiju movies shot on 16mm. I worked with him on one of them, building miniature sets like a collapsing parking garage. I also rebodied the back half of a Jo-Han '72 Torino with aluminum foil so it would be crushed realistically by a falling sign, and did the same with the front of a '74 AMX, dropping it vertically through a billboard. Also set off a firecracker under my '70 LTD, which I salvaged but the chassis still has a hole in it. The movie turned out well - it helped get him into the Columbia College film program.

I've lost touch with him over the years, but apparently he's still in the business, producing resin kaiju monsters.

Back in the 1990's, I went to a model contest where a builder brought a six-foot-tall Godzilla figure.  IIRC, only a few of them were made by some garage kit company in Japan.  It was soft vinyl, like the old 1/6 scale Screamin' figures.  He had a lot of trouble getting it thru the doors of the show, since the tail was in scale with the rest of the figure and took up a LOT of room.

Searched for that model and couldn't find it.  But in 2016, BANDAI made a 6 foot/4-inch Godzilla in its "Human Size Figure" line.  It was the same size as the Godzilla suit used in the 1991 movie "Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah."  Yours for only $43,500!

https://soranews24.com/2016/10/25/massive-godzilla-figure-stands-more-than-six-feet-tall-costs-more-than-40000-dollars/