Model Cars Magazine Forum

Datsun 240z [Hasegawa 1/24]

Marko Nykänen

Quite straight forward build. Purchased two different Hasegawa's kits, Safari Rally and "Mr. K" -versions. Other had fender flares and other had LHD dash. Don't remember any more which way it was. Wheels and tires are propably from Tamiya's 2000 GT'R Skyline. I just went through different kits for suitable wheels/tires. Underside has no added detail, just paint. So not much to see there. Interior almost stock, steering wheel is equipped with photoetch center from HME-011 set. Also added lenses to the gauges. Now the smaller gauges are unreadable, but you wouldn't see them anyway, so... Front grille is scratch built, came up ok but I managed to glue it just little bit off-angle. It looked ok until I glued the front bumper to it's place. Oh well. Head light lenses are also swapped to some aftermarket ones, don't remember the manufacturer anymore. Windshield wipers are also photoetch, but I'm not too happy for the outcome. Haven't assembled them before, so this was the first time. Now I know how to NOT assemble and install those.

This is a birthday gift to my brother in law, so I glued two magnets under the seats. I'm going to place this on a little mirror where I'm planning to glue some metal or additional magnets to hold the model on it. But it's also easily removable if needed. I will post here how it goes.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Thank you everyone! Color is basically Alclad aluminum mixed with red, blue and if I remember right little bit black basecoat. I hoped little bit darker tone, but at the end I didn't know any more what to add. It is what it is. And still the silver particles look quite big for the scale.

Here is the mirror with vinyl I cut. Tried to get some Datsun logo feel to it. Those two magnets allow me to flip the whole thing upside down (carefully of course) but with some sudden moves the model of course comes off. There's also possibility to add more magnets for more firm grip.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Thank you everyone! This was actually quite nice kit to build, I don't remember any major fitment issues, only the wheels and tires because they are way wider than the ones with the kit(s). I didn't even test fit the interior to the body, just glued it in place and dropped in. And because there is no engine, there is and was a possibility for me to finish this in time. I started this roughly two months ago, built mainly at weekends and not full days even then.