Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 GTO

Plowboy

Another old build. Maybe ten years ago? It's the old AMT kit from way back. It got started when someone on a board mentioned how hard it was to get the roof on. So, I thought I would give a try and see for myself. I had to do a little sanding here and there to get it to fit right. But, I didn't have a problem with it. With the roof done, I suddenly had an interest in building it. The chrome was completely shot. So, I ordered new front and rear bumpers from the Modelhaus. Since the chassis wasn't much, I decided to build it as a curbside and concentrate on the body and interior. The interior got modified bucket seats and the rear seat was modified to match. Painted with Testors Fabric Tan. The body was painted with Tamiya Light Gun Metal, Metallic Red and the strobe stripe was done with Testors Fiery Orange. The wheels were made with a set of Pegasus sleeves with the centers from an AMT '69 Firebird. I always meant to build the '67 in a similar style. But, never have gotten around to it.

20201025_132302-1.jpg.70a0149708642f61e7ec00d75053662d.jpg

20201025_132702-1.jpg.7fa76496bc147e01e389ff2c7c3c0d71.jpg

20201025_132724-1.jpg.71455ad08682c46edc4d0f0702eb62f6.jpg

20201025_132753-1.jpg.f328cd160953fd46f1cb1bc0dd2668f7.jpg

20201025_132451-1.jpg.f30a3b6ac5534c1fbae910d80b2ee5b0.jpg

Thanx for checking it out! 

A really nice build of this vintage kit that can sometimes be difficult to make look good! The way you cleany-attached that separate roof piece is so well-done that it looks like it came out of the box that way!  Did you smooth-away/blend-in the lip of that roof-piece where it attaches just in front of the trunk lid? ( I'm curious how you did that).

16 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

A really nice build of this vintage kit that can sometimes be difficult to make look good! The way you cleany-attached that separate roof piece is so well-done that it looks like it came out of the box that way!  Did you smooth-away/blend-in the lip of that roof-piece where it attaches just in front of the trunk lid? ( I'm curious how you did that).

Thanx! I can't recall the roof having a lip at the tulip panel area. I just remember that I sanded it until I got a good fit front and rear before gluing and that I had to rework the drip rails slightly. 

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Not bad at all. That Modelhaus front end (cloned from the original '65 GTO promo) really makes a big difference on this kit, doesn't it? B)

Yeah, it made a big difference in the looks of it. The kit piece wasn't even close in the headlights area.