Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Cobra racer 1/24

Hi everyone! This is my first attempt posting pics here so I hope it works!

This is the first model I’ve built in about 10 years. I wanted to make it look like an authentic racer, but do it with the freedom of my own style rather than copying an actual car from the past. This was also the first model I painted with an airbrush and using waterborne paint and mixing the colors myself, so a lot of trial and error, and correcting mistakes went into this one. I think I nearly had around three heart attacks?... Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

B45D6292-29AE-4045-B280-B1A6476F8119.jpeg

F00A36B2-32F5-4599-939A-D368E6F3A973.jpeg

29C6EACA-8E7F-4EE7-8928-0350DCE63506.jpeg

D96C1FBB-A476-4661-B8F5-9AECE15CBB5E.jpeg

1 hour ago, MPi-KM said:

Nice? Where did you get the seat belts?

Hi, and thank you!... The seat belts are from a roll of thin satin ribbon I got in the fabric section at Walmart. They had all different colors there, but I got the black. I just cut them to fit and now I have loads more for future projects.? The buckle pieces I just cut out of chrome vinyl with an xacto blade. You can usually go to your local sign business and ask them for scraps of whatever color you want or buy a small section from them.

WOW - a very nice build that shows what techniques can be used to make a box of plastic, paint and glue into a realistic looking model.  Often overlooked are the washes in the recessed ares that add depth or give the illusion of the doors and trunk being separate parts.  Sometimes not trying to replicate a specific chassis # at a specific race allows a build like this to be appreciated for the excellent skill is you obviously have while keeping the subject matter looking like what many people think of when you mention a 427 Cobra.  Not sure if you saw this one online and keep up the great work.  I have a half dozen of the Revell/Monogram 427’s but cannot seem to get as much built as I would like lately.

3F22BD17-E735-46F8-8B79-60CD0D5BD310.jpeg

BBDAC588-685F-4415-A709-1F6F79357C39.jpeg

73465C26-CE46-4EF1-B6D0-093417CBFD3C.jpeg

A21416CD-A0F2-475E-8870-BD4892408C98.jpeg

15 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great build Josh, it looks really good, my only other comment would be it should probably be posted under ' other racing, road racing etc.'

Dave B

Thanks Dave! I will look into those other catagories. Thanks for mentioning them, since I’m brand new here I haven’t had much time to see everything yet.

8 hours ago, iBorg said:

So what have you been doing for the past ten years? That is an outstanding model.

Thanks iBorg! The last ten years have been a mixture of a lot of stressful events followed up with summers spent riding my bike for as many miles as possible to un-stress. Problem was, the long, cold winters were filled with boredom, and the only model that I ever kept from years gone by was also a Revell Cobra, and though I didn’t put near the amount of time and detail into it, I always liked looking at it. Then, one winter evening I watched the movie Ford vs Ferrari, and that was it! I decided to order up some Shelby models off eBay and do a Shelby collection. This Cobra is the first one so far... I’ve got a ‘66 GT40, another Revell Cobra, and two Revell GT-350 Mustangs coming up. EVENTUALLY.

I’ve included a pic of the Cobra that I kept for all those years

0AF29C8F-5C15-4361-A3F4-4441C2E3974E.jpeg

8 hours ago, vamach1 said:

WOW - a very nice build that shows what techniques can be used to make a box of plastic, paint and glue into a realistic looking model.  Often overlooked are the washes in the recessed ares that add depth or give the illusion of the doors and trunk being separate parts.  Sometimes not trying to replicate a specific chassis # at a specific race allows a build like this to be appreciated for the excellent skill is you obviously have while keeping the subject matter looking like what many people think of when you mention a 427 Cobra.  Not sure if you saw this one online and keep up the great work.  I have a half dozen of the Revell/Monogram 427’s but cannot seem to get as much built as I would like lately.

3F22BD17-E735-46F8-8B79-60CD0D5BD310.jpeg

BBDAC588-685F-4415-A709-1F6F79357C39.jpeg

73465C26-CE46-4EF1-B6D0-093417CBFD3C.jpeg

A21416CD-A0F2-475E-8870-BD4892408C98.jpeg

Thank you vamach1 for noticing all the details. It’s always fun trying to replicate certain ideas from your mind’s eye. Things like brake dust grime on wheels, or the burnt look of exhaust pipes. There is literally an endless world of experimentation possibilities in this hobby. I’m sure I’ll be learning a lot from the awesome talents of the many others on this site!... Oh, and yes, the pics you posted are actually some of the very ones I found on the web and drew inspiration from. Again thanks!