Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford F100 Ranger Pickup

That is what I do now.  If I use my airbrush (I have three), then it is enamel paint mixed with lacquer thinner.  I prefer to use a spray can if at all possible.  My friend Barry Fadden never used an airbrush.  His philosophy is to shake, spray and throw away!

The Story

Rhonda is transported to the Hospital and McNally calls Jesse that he found her and he would be over to his house to take him to the Hospital.  In the Hospital ER, Jesse is allowed to see Rhonda for a moment after the doctors and nurses tend to Rhonda's wounds.  Jesse wants to stay with Rhonda, but the ER doctor says it would be best that he leave, get some rest at home and return tomorrow.  McNally returns Jesse home to get some rest and he can go to the Hospital in the morning.

The Build

I am allowing the painted body to gas out before doing anymore work to it.  I had to do a mockup to see what it would look like.  The engine compartment needs to be painted black.  I started painting the interior in prep for assembly. 

McNally will return...

Ranger31.JPG

Ranger32.JPG

Ranger33.JPG

Thanks Curtis!

The Story

The next morning, Jesse finds McNally at the Animal Shelter where the abandoned dog was taken to.  He finds McNally clipping the dog's nails and he wonders why McNally was there.  It is something he likes to do every once in a while and so he came in to give the dog a bath and some grooming.  Jesse asks McNally how much he owes him for finding his wife and the Boston PI asks for $1 and nothing else.  Jesse was willing to pay him more, but McNally wants only $1 for finding Jesse's wife, Rhonda.

The Build

Last night I took a chance and did something I have never done.  I put a lacquer over enamel paint and there was no bubbling or crazing!  Now for those who don't know...you never put a lacquer paint over enamel paint, but it can be done if you put lacquer paint down first and then add an enamel paint afterwards.  I figured that with the enamel paint has been drying for 2 weeks, it would accept the lacquer paint without a problem since it was dry and not tacky to the touch.  This morning, I detailed the side panels and assembled the interior.

McNally will return...

Ranger34.JPG

Ranger35.JPG

Ranger36.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Great looking interior. By they way I'm an Orange fan on automobiles also. The down side is the you become very visible in traffic and get tickets even when your not doing anything wrong. I had a '69 Camaro in Hugger Orange that I owned twice for a total of 18 years. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thing almost cost me my license more than once. 

Thanks David!  I think I may have to strip and repaint the body.  Way too much orange peel and a lot of the paint is coming off as I polish the orange.  I really don't like this enamel paint and I may try to find something close to that shade.

35 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Thanks David!  I think I may have to strip and repaint the body.  Way too much orange peel and a lot of the paint is coming off as I polish the orange.  I really don't like this enamel paint and I may try to find something close to that shade.

I have used Model Master Chevrolet Hugger Orange and their Grabber Orange that is a little lighter and is supposed to be a Ford color so that might work. I used their Go Mango on a Sedan Delivery once and almost like it better than the Hugger Orange, but that's only my opinion. Tamiya offers an Orange TS-12  that is real bright. 

The Story

Jesse pays McNally his $1 and he leaves the Animal Shelter and he heads for the Hospital to visit with his wife.  McNally finishes grooming the dog and he puts the dog back in his pen and he stops at the front desk and he says that he'll pay the adoption fee if Jesse and Rhonda adopt the dog.  They just have to call him for the adoption fee payment.  The attendant writes the information down on a post-it note and puts it in the file.  He then heads for home in Charlestown to update his file.

The Build

I tried to polish the paint and went through the paint.  Another masking and it is back into the paintbooth for another respray.  After that was done, I detailed the grille using my Sharpie markers, Tamiya Flat Black paint and Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color.

McNally will return...

Ranger37.JPG

Ranger38.JPG

Ranger39.JPG

• 1 month later...

The Story

It happened again!  An older woman out for a walk at night was assaulted by an unknown assailant, but she was able to fight back and the assailant ran away.  She had learned how to defend herself many years ago and she had never thought that she would ever have to use that training on anyone.  The Police took a report and it was given to Detectives who are investigating the cases of attacks on older citizens in Brighton.

The Build

I went and painted the body and hood again with Testors Competition Orange and now they are in the dehydrator for the next 8+ hours.  

McNally will return...

Ranger40.JPG

Ranger41.JPG

Ranger42.JPG

10 hours ago, Mr Randy said:

I love your McNally stories and your builds, I am looking for a Poppy Red or Calypso Coral you have any suggestions that would be on the hobby store shelf?

For accurate colors, try 70s Ford Trucks (scalefinishes.com) click on down arrows for full selection

Edited by leafsprings

21 hours ago, Mr Randy said:

I love your McNally stories and your builds, I am looking for a Poppy Red or Calypso Coral you have any suggestions that would be on the hobby store shelf?

Thanks Mr. Randy!  Poppy Red or Calypso Coral could be ordered from someone like Scalefinishes or MCW.  For the hobby shop, your best bet would be to find a color that closely matches them still on the shelf.  Testors/Model Master has stopped production of many automotive paints so your best bet is to find one that is close or try an autobody shop or parts store or you can order the color you want online.

The grille was the least of my concerns.  I sprayed Testors Competition Orange on the hood and roof and placed them both in the dehydrator for 18 hours.  They are slightly tacky, but are, for the most part, dry.  I'll leave them alone for a while and then consider my next move.

• 2 weeks later...

I have reattached the bottom portion of the fuel filter.  Since many have shown me that the fuel filter is a long and complete unit, on and off the forum, I wasn't aware that the filter portion was added to the assembly.   Now, I know better!

Ranger16.JPG

• 1 month later...

The Story

The old man is out walking his small dog for the evening and it has gotten dark in Brighton and the street lights have turned on.  He cuts through a cemetary that has no lights shining as a short cut back to his house and as he walks through, an figure watches him from behind a large tree.  As the old man and his dog approaches,  the attacker runs out behind him and the little dog starts barking and the old man is attacked and clubbed.  The old man is lying on the ground and his little dog continues to bark and the Police stop on their drive through the cemetary.  An ambulance is called and the little dog is taken back to the old man's house to cared for by his daughter.

The Build

I started on the '71 Ranger again by adding some of the chrome pieces and doing a mockup.  The back of the cab seems to sit a little high in the rear of the cab and maybe the cab mount needs to be clearanced a bit.

McNally will return...

Ranger43.JPG

Ranger44.JPG

Ranger45.JPG