Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth T800 Quad Axel Dump Truck

On 10/29/2020 at 10:50 PM, kilrathy10 said:

This is looking really nice, Man... Great work on the frame...

Thanks JT!! I had planned to paint this one yellow,  but now I’m really fighting the urge to paint it orange. Now I’m undecided.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, gotnitro? said:

Very cool! Definitely going for a heavy truck w that rubber block suspension   !!!

Was the M11 from Gary too ?  I used one for the Oshkosh mixer , it was a fantastic piece 

Thanks Jeff! The engine is from Gary. It is very nice too. I picked up two  Of these used, but one seems to be missing a couple of pieces. I have an original Clint Freeman version as well. 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:21 PM, kilrathy10 said:

O range O range O range!!! I vote for Orange!!! Orange for President!! ?

Saw this baby on Pinterest....

##################d73f6b54844f2d49a9c83126d6c974b1 (1).jpg

Maybe this will help you decide...

Okay JT you’re a pretty good salesman. First you sold me on the Moebius wheels for this project with your fire truck, now you’ve sold me on orange. Orange it is then.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:12 AM, gotnitro? said:

Think JT wants ya to paint it orange !  Lol thats a beautiful truck in that color 

Yep! He’s a good salesman!

14 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Okay JT you’re a pretty good salesman. First you sold me on the Moebius wheels for this project with your fire truck, now you’ve sold me on orange. Orange it is then.

Yep! He’s a good salesman!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? Dude!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!

Edited by kilrathy10

Here is a little under update. The front lift axle is from Moluminum the other is from GW Trucks. Pretty disappointed with the quality of the Moebius wheels though  (not the floater set). I bought two sets over a year apart and the chrome is not very good on either set. Oh well! It is starting to resemble a truck now.

FC9321C9-D2CF-4D8F-9879-87FC13FD569A.jpeg.ea8d76bc91e2904d9d659d78a6ded2f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.2c59da8bfc88174122565286f75b29a6.jpg

Very cool mock up! Wow that's gonna be a hauler w the extra lift axles  !!! Been seeing quite a few trucks w extras lately loading up at Cargill salt mine just down road from work. 

Idea for the chrome mis match, how about dusting all them w dullcoat for a machined wheel look ? Wouldn't take long for those polished up to dull anyway on a job site...then your weathered box treatment to tie it together 

Thanks guys!

On 11/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, kilrathy10 said:

Well, I don't know... They don't look bad in the pics, (the wheels, that is) but I'm not looking at them in person, so... I think you've got a very nice truck in the making, though... Looks real nice... Man, that is a cool dump body...

Thanks JT! They don’t look bad from a distance so I will probably let them slide.

5 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Very cool mock up! Wow that's gonna be a hauler w the extra lift axles  !!! Been seeing quite a few trucks w extras lately loading up at Cargill salt mine just down road from work. 

Idea for the chrome mis match, how about dusting all them w dullcoat for a machined wheel look ? Wouldn't take long for those polished up to dull anyway on a job site...then your weathered box treatment to tie it together 

Thanks Jeff! The only fix would be to strip them and start over. There are crinkled spots in the finish. They look pretty good from a distance so I will probably let them go.

E98AC85E-1C29-43A3-86F1-03713D3DFF04.jpeg.881729979f95f88901d3344bfffa7a70.jpeg

I hate when I do something that I know better than doing!!

It all started when I soaked the hood overnight  in Bleachwhite. The hood seemed to get soft. I’ve read that some casters don’t recommend soaking overnight because they say it will reactivate the resin. With this I opted to simply wash the cab. Even after washing this milk jug like resin is so slick that Gorilla Tape will not even stick to it. I should not have went on and painted, but it was a pretty day and they are getting fewer with colder weather coming. To make a long story short, it is soaking in Purple Power now. We will see if it survives.

JT, here is a sneak peak at the color that I “Hope” to finish this thing in. It is hard to tell in the picture but the paint is turning loose in several places. 

ED409E44-FD4C-4978-A847-21FB8BA641A6.jpeg.3d348aa8cbd021f182ed8b40c89c3fbe.jpeg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71