Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back to the 80's (aka the Bodacious Billet Build-off)

Mr. Metallic

Some of us have been inspired by recent activity around the boards of builds based on styling trends from the 1980's. I figured it would be a fun way to get the juices flowing and focus on a retro style that isn't seen around here very often. 

Your build can be based on any kit or resin you like. And I'm sure once the ball gets rolling that the specific trends from that era will surface. And it doesn't have to feature billet, the name just rolls off the tongue.

So, have at it fellows. I may take awhile before I actually jump in the pool myself, but feel free to get started and post away.

Lets have the deadline be Nov 1st, 2021, but it can be an open ended thing as well. But I'll start the official finished Build-off thread on that date.

For those that haven't already seen the recently posted finished cars that share a bit of blame for this new community build thread (smile), here are a few...

1.  Just completed project started back in 1989 and first covered in the mag in 1990....

DSC 0999

DSC 1057

2.  Another magazine project that (according to Dennis Lacy) inspired him to post images of his (now 2) new builds in the 1980's/early 1990's idiom (you can see them in the Light Truck WIP section of the forum)... 

DSC 0404

3.  A John Buttera-style '29A Highboy, first constructed and mostly finished by Chuck Helppie, who then gave it to me to finish up with a different paint job and final details....

DSC 0379

4.  A smoothy-style '29A pickup, inspired by a Thom Taylor image in Street Rodder mag, finished around 1985 or so....

DSC 0534

Will be following this thread and very much looking forward to what you all come up with!  Best....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Hey, I’ve got one of those!  This is the one that I was working on around the mid 80s that caused me to box up my models and walk away from the hobby for the next thirty years or so.  I had put quite a bit of work into it with a lot of chrome plated scratch built brass, and even a healthy dose of real milled And polished billet.  I was working on the paint, using Tamiya water base acrylics through my Paasche.  It was going quite well I thought. Even the ghost flames were looking good.  I laid down three coats of Tamiya X22 clear, and put it aside for a few days.  When I came back, I was devastated to find that the entire paint job had cracked all the way through to the primer.

After thirty years, tastes in hot rods have changed, and while machined billet and chrome were cool then, you don’t want to be caught on the HAMB With any of that stuff these days.  So I decided I’d wait until the right opportunity presented itself to try to finish this build.  I think I may have finally stumbled across that opportunity.  Who knows?  Maybe I can finish it if it doesn’t have to be done for another year,. 

F9B0D5F3-AFEC-4265-AF8A-586FB73830B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like you got the ball rolling, Craig! @Mr. Metallic

I'm going to jump in the buildoff but it won't be with a 3rd '29 Pickup, LOL! 

My entry is going to be a current day interpretation of the '32 Roadster seen below. This is one of just two remaining models from my youth. I built this model when I was 13 years old which would have been in 1993. No surprise that it was partly influenced by one of Tim's projects from Modeler's Corner in Street Rodder Magazine (an orange and black two-tone '32 Roadster sitting on the same wheels.) 

I used Monogram's 1:24 scale kit, smoothed the whole body out including the reveal lines around the deck lid, ZZ Top kit wheels with the extra pair of skinny Moroso front tires Revell used to throw in their '67 Malibu Pro Street kit, Revell '37 Ford Convertible frame pieces - rear tires / Corvette IRS / air filter / ignition box / master cylinder / taillights / tilt column and I believe the Boyd Coddington steering wheel was from an updated reissue of Monogram's 1955 Ford Pickup. The kit dash was smoothed with S&S Specialties gauge panel. '32 Roadster kit front axle with Monogram '40 Pickup 4-links. Now for the bizarre part? Underneath that milled billet style air filter is the Monogram '40 Pickup flathead with horrendously under sized exhausts from the 'Lil John Buttera '26 T Sedan kits. Headlights are AMT/Lindberg '34 Pickup with the ends of the bar cut off to drop it down. The paint is Testors Colors by Boyd "Pacific Blue". 

IMG_7973-vi.jpg

IMG_7975-vi.jpg

IMG_7977-vi.jpg

IMG_7978-vi.jpg

IMG_7976-vi.jpg

IMG_7979-vi.jpg

I hope to get started in a few weeks or so. Need to get further on my pair of '29 Pickups first over in the Light Truck WIP section.

4 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@foghorn62

That looks like a great pile of parts. The floor and firewall are killer! I’ve never seen anything like them. Too bad about the paint but now you have the perfect excuse to resurrect it. 

I agree. That firewall and floor are pretty incredible pieces, especially for 30 years ago. And the polish job on that gas tank will blind a guy. You really need to get this thing done.

14 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I used Monogram's 1:24 scale kit, smoothed the whole body out including the reveal lines around the deck lid, ZZ Top kit wheels with the extra pair of skinny Moroso front tires Revell used to throw in their '67 Malibu Pro Street kit, Revell '37 Ford Convertible frame pieces - rear tires / Corvette IRS / air filter / ignition box / master cylinder / taillights / tilt column and I believe the Boyd Coddington steering wheel was from an updated reissue of Monogram's 1955 Ford Pickup. The kit dash was smoothed with S&S Specialties gauge panel. '32 Roadster kit front axle with Monogram '40 Pickup 4-links. Now for the bizarre part? Underneath that milled billet style air filter is the Monogram '40 Pickup flathead with horrendously under sized exhausts from the 'Lil John Buttera '26 T Sedan kits. Headlights are AMT/Lindberg '34 Pickup with the ends of the bar cut off to drop it down. The paint is Testors Colors by Boyd "Pacific Blue". 

I hope to get started in a few weeks or so. Need to get further on my pair of '29 Pickups first over in the Light Truck WIP section.

Even way back then you were so good at sourcing just the right parts. 

I figured you would just use one of your two ? current billet projects to join this build-off. I hope starting another doesn't take you away from finishing those sweet 29's

@Mr. Metallic @Dennis Lacy

Thanks guys!  If I can get this paint stripped without loosing the body work that I but into it, I may be able to get this thing done once and for all.  Maybe I’ll start with the frame, suspensions, and engine and see where that takes me.  The floorboard, and firewall are machined and polished aluminum plate.  The gas tank, exhaust, and suspensions are chrome plated brass.

Dennis, your signature style was apparent even at 13!  My models from that age...were pretty silly and ended up getting chopped up for parts when I was a little older and over-ambitious.

I really want to join this build-off, but I have so many projects already, and I truly feel that if I'm going to do billet-era, it needs to be a fat-fender car. Hmm. We shall see. I have a '32 roadster that could be done this way...a '32 coupe...I'll have to think on it!

Tim, that Vicky build looks awesome. It's definitely time for it to rise from the ashes! What was old is new again, haha!

I'd point out that the description of this CBP doesn't specifically indicate '30s-60s hot rods or customs--what about minitrucks, imports?

spacer.png

Edited by Spex84

@Mr. Metallic

Thanks, Craig. I can remember being very proud of myself about this model back in the day. It was my first successful all-out Street Rod. The flathead was just a weird choice, though. The new version will have a proper small block! And no worries, the pair of 29 Pickups won’t get the attention shaft, LOL!

On 10/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, Quiet Eric said:

Dang Dennis, I wish I was building them that nice at 13!

Let me make it clear that for every successful model at that point in my life there were half a dozen that started out with big dreams and good intentions then went full FUBAR! ???

@Spex84

I don’t see any mention of make/model restrictions in the opening post so if you’re feeling a billet-clad mini-truck I say go for it! Living in SoCal my whole life I saw plenty regularly back in the day. 

That, or billet VW bug would be awesome, too. Since you mentioned it in my ‘29 Truck thread...