Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 GT/102

About a month ago I was given two well used Cox GT40 slot car bodies.  One had the front of the front wheel arches opened up the other had the front of the rear wheel arches opened out. Luckily the sills on the first mentioned were untouched so I was able to remove them and graft them onto the the second mentioned body..  Not all the glass was there, and what was had to be carefully removed by scribing the edges, there was a lot of glue holding some them on!!  Between the two I had enough glass.  After sanding and polishing the glass it has come up respectable.  This model will be built as the #140 car at Nurburgring and will not be fine detailing, instead staying true to it's slot car roots.  I have removed the dashpanel so I could deepen it and make it more realistic.  Just have to decide which set of wheels to use, the realistic silver painted Dunlop racing shod set or the flashy wider Goodyear shod set!!  Decisions, decisions.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8011.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8013.JPG

There’s not a whole lot else out there except for the ancient IMC kit and the old Aurora kit but I did pull the trigger on one of these Lemans Miniatures kits this spring. The nice thing is they sell some of the parts separately such as the decals and wheels.  I’m not sure if the LS kit from Japan was based on the COX slotcar.  The prices on these old slot cars seem crazy to me but I guess nostalgia is expensive these days.  Your project looks like a nice alternative to the limited choices out there.  I’m sure Gramps46 aka Gary will chime in with a few comments and pictures of his similar project many years ago.

6E0AE7EA-1D41-4A45-96D3-74A14CBCD698.jpeg

13EF9914-C9D4-45CA-9EC2-38D21F96230F.jpeg

Edited by vamach1