Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT instruction symbols - undefined

I am starting the AMT '58 Edsel pacer. In the very first step, I see three symbols that are not explained in the instructions (should I know these?). Throughout the instructions, there are stars (solid and open), snowflakes, and petals. See the image below.

Could someone please clarify what these mean - or send me a link to the explanation.  Thanks.

AMT symbols.jpg

Peter, I'm not a 100 % sure but these symbols might indicate where other parts should be installed (glued), e.g. radiator or heater hoses. Check the following pages of the instruction. Maybe you'll find the same symbols there as an information where the parts should be connected to. Hope it helps. Take care, Juergen

1 hour ago, HJK said:

Peter, I'm not a 100 % sure but these symbols might indicate where other parts should be installed (glued), e.g. radiator or heater hoses.

Exactly this. See steps 5 and 6 in your instructions which indicate where the radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc., attach.

Like Casey says, look for these symbols in later stages of the assembly instructions and it's quite clear as the radiator hoses and heater hoses has the same symbols.
I don't know why Round 2 saw the need to change the instructions because on the instructions from the original issue there were numbers for the parts meant to attach there instead of the symbols...maybe a little easier.

Picture from Drastic Plastic Model Car Club Fotki albums.

2v6WM3mdx3yrcP.jpg

Edited by Force

Yes, the numbers referring to future steps made much more sense, but in today's world it seems that icons are replacing any meaningful verbiage (I guess that includes numbers too?).  Just look at any screen of your smart devices, or even button legends on consumer electronic devices. It is mostly (often hard to decipher) simple pictures.

I was told that it was due to the global economy (same devices are sold all over the world, so verbiage is local (language), but little pictures are universal. But how universal are they when one can not  figure out that they mean.  And I thought that numbers would be universally understood worldwide. Maybe the graphic designer who did the new instructions was just a bit too eager to use pictorial symbols instead of numbers.