Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 scale Belly Tank Lakester

I've always wanted to build a belly tank racer, but there are no aircraft drop tanks in the automotive 1/24 - 1/25 scale. But I did find a decent P-38 Lightening drop tank ( just like the full scale hot rodders used ). It was from a 1/32 Trumpeter kit. But cramming an engine, suspension, chassis, seat etc is tough enough in 1/25 scale....is it even possible in 1/32?

20200316_002653.jpg

Thanks Dan. The "Hemi Fiat" I put together last Jan Feb...its an extremely rare 1/32 Monogram "Gasser"series kit ( there was also a "Wild Willys" and a "34 Ford Screamer" in the series ). Since then Ive been searching / collecting other suitable 1/32 scale kits that might have suitable parts for this little project which I started working on last March. Salt Flat discs would be desirable if I can locate some in this scale. The one piece wheel / tires are a bit of a challenge to make look right.

Edited by styromaniac

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:
5 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Thanks Dan. The "Hemi Fiat" I put together last Jan Feb...its an extremely rare 1/32 Monogram "Gasser"series kit ( there was also a "Wild Willys" and a "34 Ford Screamer" in the series ). Since then Ive been searching / collecting other suitable 1/32 scale kits that might have suitable parts for this little project which I started working on last March. Salt Flat discs would be desirable if I can locate some in this scale. The one piece wheel / tires are a bit of a challenge to make look right.

I would love  get my hands on any of the Monogram gassers! You might try punching some discs from thin aluminum sheet. This tank lakester is sheathed in Maid-O-Metal tooling aluminum. The discs are the same material. I used a punch made from tubing, to punch these...

IMG_0642cr.jpg

Just found this and as a long time lover of 1/32nd scale ( when I was a kid it was all I could afford) I am blown away by your belly tanker.  I too have been collecting them from model plane kits that some of my fellow clubmembers had.  I also vacformed a 1/25th scale tanker, almost identical proportions to this one.  To be honest, I really like the hubcap look - not everyone ran discs and some of the earliest tankers ran the 35 Ford style wires. The amount of effort you have put into detailing the cockpit and the steering mechanism is to be applauded.  I love it!

A lot of Aurora 1/32nd scale kits came with full moon discs, more like an insert than a separate disc to put on top of a wheel. I have also found some very cool flat discs in the scrapbooking section of a craft store - always worth a look.

I too have the Fiat on my shelf but have yet to find the Willys or the 34.  One day......

Cheers

Alan