Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Ford Fairlane 500 "Taildragger" Custom!

John Goschke

This was to be my entry for this year's cancelled NNL East in the Survivor Kustoms and Modern Recreations category. Finished this spring, the idea was to pay tribute to the early "3-in-1" Customizing Kits and all their accessories, and build it the way I'd have dreamed if I'd had the skills back then. It represents an East Coast-style custom, with the usual J.C. Whitney type of accessories including dummy spotlights, dual antennas, Continental spare tire kit with chrome bumper end extensions, Turnpike Cruiser-style fender skirts and Dodge Lancer-style wheelcovers. I also added a rear seat tonneau cover.

I did some accurizing of the windshield and rear window openings, including grafting in the cowl vent and wipers from the AMT '57 Ford, along with reshaping the top of the front fenders, followed by removal of the emblems and door handles

Paint is by Tamiya.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Very nice John!!

You know it's interesting, but just this evening I was digging through parts boxes looking for wheels, and I was amazed at how common these Lancer style caps must have been as custom options in some of the old annual kits.

They just seemed to keep popping up as I dug! :D

Steve

What a magnificent exercise of restraint - just enough customizing to enhance the lines of the car.  I thoroughly enjoy everything you do and this is no exception.  Congratulations John, I'm sure it will get a lot of attention when you can get back to attending shows.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, guys, for the all the comments! This build was a lot of fun.  It took me back to a time when every car I built had to have skirts and if the kit came with a Continental kit, I had to put that on, too!  My JoHan '61 Rambler American even had bubble skirts and a Connie kit!

Another masterful work of art. You've got an unusual combination of elements that would not seem to work together, but they do quite well. I'd never have expected red and gold to work, but it looks great. I dig the tonneau cover over the rear seats. Well done John. ?

20 hours ago, John Goschke said:

This was to be my entry for this year's cancelled NNL East in the Survivor Kustoms and Modern Recreations category. Finished this spring, the idea was to pay tribute to the early "3-in-1" Customizing Kits and all their accessories, and build it the way I'd have dreamed if I'd had the skills back then. It represents an East Coast-style custom, with the usual J.C. Whitney type of accessories including dummy spotlights, dual antennas, Continental spare tire kit with chrome bumper end extensions, Turnpike Cruiser-style fender skirts and Dodge Lancer-style wheelcovers. I also added a rear seat tonneau cover.

I did some accurizing of the windshield and rear window openings, including grafting in the cowl vent and wipers from the AMT '57 Ford, along with reshaping the top of the front fenders, followed by removal of the emblems and door handles

Paint is by Tamiya.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking good, John! Just in time for Faux-vivor Friday.