Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth W925

Hello gang,  here is my latest plastic victim.   This is an original AMT T519 KW W925 I picked up at a swap meet at my local Hobbytown.   I rooted thru the box and determined it was complete.  Someone glued the engine block and transmission halves together and boxed it up and forgot about it. I found a receipt from Nov. 1977 in the box for $7.35 printed from an adding machine.    I just had to get this kit to kinda make up for the one I built, err I mean butchered when I was 12 or so.  It was the first truck model I tried building back then, I was in over my head to say the least.    Anyway, built mostly box stock. Tires were toast so used the tires from a Moebius tire/wheel set.  Cab and hood seemed to sit way high on the frame so lowered it a bit. Looks better like this I think.    Cut a piece of aluminum tubing for exhaust stack and added convex mirrors and antennas.      Colors are restoration shop Wimbeldon White and Testors light blue.     Gonna be pulling an MPC end dump trailer for a load.  Stretching two of them to make a 35 ft. tandem axle like is so common out here in the western US.   Enough of my babbling,  hope you like.  Comments welcome,  thanks for looking.

DSC_0009r.jpg

DSC_0015r.jpg

DSC_0032r.jpg

DSC_0025r.jpg

IMG_6336r.jpg

IMG_6337r.jpg

It came out very nice. B)
I have always thought there was something wrong with the the AMT W925 appearence when finished and now I know what it is, it looks much better with the lowered hood and cab.
Do you have an idea on how much you lowered them Doug?

Edited by Force

On 10/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, Force said:

I have always thought there was something wrong with the the AMT W925 appearence when finished and now I know what it is, it looks much better with the lowered hood and cab.

x 2 - very nice Kenny!

That’s a classy looking rig, great color choices. Looks great with the flatbed, and I really like the black on that. Nice all around, great build. 

And like others have said, lowering it a little made a big difference.

Edited by vincen47

On 10/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Force said:

Hey, this is the first I am seeing  this. I lowered it about 1/8 inch.  I cut through the rear cab mount with a razor saw so the bottom rear of the cab would sit right down on the frame rails.     Of course I had to alter the front cab mounts and 4 or 5 other things to make it work.    I feel like it was worth the effort.  

You must be so proud of that build. It's impeccable. Fantastic choice of colours and the KW paint scheme looks spot on. The AMT W925 is one of my all time favourite kits, it was my first proper truck kit and was quite exotic over in England in the 70s. You have to remember there was no internet then, so I didn't really know what it was, I just knew it was a beautiful truck. The daycab is a great choice too. I smiled when I opened this thread!