Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Packard Boattail Speedster

Jonathan

Testor's enamel for the interior and spare tire/wheel covers.  The body and frame were painted using Tamiya Lacquer (TS15) Blue and (TS14); with the bits of the frame being picked out various colors.  Alclad II for the radiator and headlights, as well as for the chrome beltline.  (In reality, I'm not sure this should be represented as a separate piece - and it's molded to the body in the kit.)  I cheated on the hood side vents.  The kit includes eight small, chrome-plated, rectangles for these pieces.  I lost one, and then another.  In frustration, I cut a piece of card stock, applied Bare Metal Foil, and glued this to the inside of the hood.  I felt it turned out ok.

packard-5_orig.jpg

packard-4_orig.jpg

packard-2_orig.jpg

packard-7_orig.jpg

I see I forgot to add the top.  I'll have to fix that ...

Lovely model. I'm fascinated by the 'stagger' of the seats, I've only ever seen this on the pre-war racers when the regulations demanded that a riding mechanic be carried, all this unfortunate individual had to to was be very small and keep out of the way of the driver's elbows!

The passenger in this Packard looks to have plenty more room but still well out of the drivers way and sight line. 

Thank you all.  What initially attracted me to this kit was the staggered seating arrangement.  I have another in my stash, and I'd really like to build it as more of a hot rod.  But, finding appropriate wheels and tires stumps be at the moment.   Well, that and appropriate engine bits, like a blower, or something. :)