Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Thanks.  I tried to be accurate to original effects  screen caps.  Unfortunately  the polar lights kit is incorrect.  They used the old amt kit in the episode. 

the old   amt kit is  also incorrect  to the actuall ship in the show  and is still around   it has been reissued  a few times  once in the 90's during the   25th anniversary  and again  in a two pack with the polar lights kit  you used  and again on by it's self for the 50th anniversary  which  was in 2016    the downside is that old `1/650  scale kit  is  showing it's age   most of thje parts no longer go together  correctly they are generally  warped  and have parts no longer line up  and you have  have to use lots of binding to get the parts to fit together when  glueing 
not to mention cbs also  visually retconed the look of the ship and the tech designs aka computers, tri corders,communicators,phasers  and even the uniforms    to fit better between star trek enteprise and star trek 6  the last trek film featuring all of the original cast  after the 50th anniversary    in 2017/2018 with the season 1 finale of discovery and season 2 of discovery  and in  2019   we  saw  the enterprise unter kirks command  in  various tos episodes  including  the doomsday machine   and agian we see the new visual retconed design in 2020  in season 1 episode 2 of star trek picard as a hologram in the atreaum of starfleet command  
they still market the classic 60's designs  cause it still makes money  but no longer concider the visual look of tos canon   

Edited by michelle

Believe me, I know well how the original amt kit goes together.  I've built more of that kit than I am years old  i would bet, and know the inaccuracies.  I built my first one back in 1968. The kit had lights for the warp engines,  upper and lower saucer domes. The classic  amt kit available now was actually a retool of those early kits, as the original tool was aluminum which wore out quickly. But it is accurate for the Constellation.  As far as what CBS has done with it, I best keep my opinion to myself. 

Edited by Classicgas

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Believe me, I know well how the original amt kit goes together.  I've built more of that kit than I am years old  i would bet, and know the inaccuracies.  I built my first one back in 1968. The kit had lights for the warp engines,  upper and lower saucer domes. The classic  amt kit available now was actually a retool of those early kits, as the original tool was aluminum which wore out quickly. But it is accurate for the Constellation.  As far as what CBS has done with it, I best keep my opinion to myself. 

i am working on a damaged   uss constellation  currently  

It’s funny how many models I built as as child ended up battle damaged as most ended up being set on fire or blown up with firecrackers. ?

NIce work on the Enterprises.  I did buy the Apollo moon landing set at Hobby Lobby but it is the only “space” kit I have bought in a very very long time.  Us old timers remember the Saturn rocket takeoffs and watched many moon landings on little televisions.  Those were some exciting times when a lot of science fiction was a glimpse of the future.  I would still like to be beamed up to my destination instead of getting on a crowded shuttle or airplane. ?

Edited by vamach1

50 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

It’s funny how many models I built as as child ended up battle damaged as most ended up being set on fire or blown up with firecrackers. ?

NIce work on the Enterprises.  I did buy the Apollo moon landing set at Hobby Lobby but it is the only “scale” kit I have bought in a very very long time.  Us old timers remember the Saturn rocket takeoffs and watched many moon landings on little televisions.  Those were some exciting times when a lot of science fiction was a glimpse of the future.  I would still like to be beamed up to my destination instead of getting on a crowded shuttle or airplane. ?

Yep. The Lunar lander is on my list to get from hobby lobby.