Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Porsche 911 Slantnose custom

Dann Tier

This is build #24. I didnt plan on adding another project, but a good friend of mine from England gave me this kit. No matter how many projects you have, its good form to build this kind of gift as soon as you can, to show appreciation, and to get it done before either one of you snuffs it.

I got this kit at the right time...i've been feeling like doing something inspired by Singer, and Gambella...an upgraded, special car. Whilst i like the Avelanche Porsche(Gambella), i find it to have too many bodywork things going on for my taste, and it looks heavy. Singer does Porsches right!, and thats the style i like, but with a balanced splash of Gambella. 

Cant remember where, but i saw an earlier 80's 911 that was a twin turbo, 850+ HP beast, and thats another bit i want for mine! This is being built as the curbside kit that it is, BUT thanks to how it has a removable body like all other Fujimis, i can add a fully detailed EM chassis, and engine at any time.

I dont wanna change the main design of what i already consider as a perfect design, i just wanna add a bit of "special" to it. Kinda like if you saw it in a dark room as a silhouette, you could tell immediately what is was, then -Suprise! when the lights are turned on!

-Photo 1; The kit.

-Photo 2; I didnt want to have pop-up headlamps this time, but i didnt want Ferrari F40 style either, so thats when i decided to split the difference, and have them be thin slits with LED's.

-Photo 3; Whilst the scalloped side vents do work with the design, i've never liked them on cars -i DO like the wheels!!

-Photo 4; I'm gonna be utilizing the look of the tailights a bit.

-Photo 5; I love the simplicity of Singers, but with the tasteful splash of upgrading!

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

29-e1588622514992-696x392.jpeg

download.jpg

porsche-911-by-singe-8.jpg

Edited by Dann Tier

Let the craziness begin!!

-Photo 1; Since its a curbside, if i cant see it when its on a table...i wont waste my time, money, or supplies on it, so i have this all together ready for paint -notice the upgraded exhaust tips.

-Photo 2; Fujimi must have reused a narrow-body chassis for this WIDE body car!...the wheels/tyres are waaay too far into the fenders, but no worries, i'll fix it with the fatter tyres!

-Photo 3; Since you can easily see through the hood vent, i needed to put something engine like in there, so i made a pedistal for a Tamiya 911GT2 intercooler to sit on. 

-Photo 4; I attached another lift-block with a quick locater tab, and...

-Photo 5; ...it works great! 

-Photo 6; An easy to take off body is one nice thing, but this is annoying! the contact is so weak, that you could say there is none -its as loose as throwing a hotdog down a hallway! Again, no worries...i added some styrene strip to the rear contact to make it stronger, and stop it where it needs to be.

-Photo 7; Here you can see the much improved contact.

-Photo 8; The intercooler fits the space perfectly, and adds some nice visual interest.

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

17 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is build #24. I didnt plan on adding another project, but a good friend of mine from England gave me this kit. No matter how many projects you have, its good form to build this kind of gift as soon as you can, to show appreciation, and to get it done before either one of you snuffs it.

I got this kit at the right time...i've been feeling like doing something inspired by Singer, and Gambella...an upgraded, special car. Whilst i like the Avelanche Porsche(Gambella), i find it to have too many bodywork things going on for my taste, and it looks heavy. Singer does Porsches right!, and thats the style i like, but with a balanced splash of Gambella. 

Cant remember where, but i saw an earlier 80's 911 that was a twin turbo, 850+ HP beast, and thats another bit i want for mine! This is being built as the curbside kit that it is, BUT thanks to how it has a removable body like all other Fujimis, i can add a fully detailed EM chassis, and engine at any time.

I dont wanna change the main design of what i already consider as a perfect design, i just wanna add a bit of "special" to it. Kinda like if you saw it in a dark room as a silhouette, you could tell immediately what is was, then -Suprise! when the lights are turned on!

-Photo 1; The kit.

-Photo 2; I didnt want to have pop-up headlamps this time, but i didnt want Ferrari F40 style either, so thats when i decided to split the difference, and have them be thin slits with LED's.

-Photo 3; Whilst the scalloped side vents do work with the design, i've never liked them on cars -i DO like the wheels!!

-Photo 4; I'm gonna be utilizing the look of the tailights a bit.

-Photo 5; I love the simplicity of Singers, but with the tasteful splash of upgrading!

Too bad  it is curbside I have a Singer engine.

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 1

Heres another update, everyone...its getting close!

-Photo 1; I removed the rear lip, and added a thin -slightly arched crossmember.

-Photo 2; Here is the rough look of it from above.

-Photo 3; I decided to cut through three sides of the headlamp covers, and only score the leading one, so that i could simply push them down to the depth i like, then cap the sides from the back side of the body.

-Photo 4; I needed to notch these areas out for clearance.

-Photo 5; Cant wait to put the LED lights in!

-Photo 6; Four things are displayed here...I started making a roof vent that will be very low profile. I ditched the stock hood vent, and started to make my own from styrene. To upgrade a bit more, i removed the side window vent pillars -mimicking the newer Porsches. The last thing i did here was to glue in filler styrene so that i can reshape the side vents later.

-Photo 7&8; Time to cut that roof for the cool air engine duct -idid this the same way i tackled the headlamps.

-Photo 9; This area needed to be notched out a bit.

-Photo 10; This is the start of the interior side of the vent.

-Photo 11&12; This is the body side of the vent. I added a thin strip of styrene to help keep the vent where it will be blended into the roof while i work on it. It will be sanded away later. As you can see, i blended in corner pieces of the stock vent, which balance out the front fender slots nicely.

-Photo 13; Forgot to show you that i had to cut out this area, and lower the crossmember for clearance.

-Photo 14; It fits great, but now i need to add a funnel-neck to it in order to meet the roof cut out.

-Photo 15; Taping the interior vent to the body vent, helped me with where to notch out the parcel tray. I put the body over the chassis/interior tub, then traced around the vent. Always cut slightly inside your lines incase you have to tweak things a bit.

-Photo 16; Like some of the early Duck-tail cars, i wanted to separate the tailights with bodywork.

DSCF0048.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

DSCF0072.JPG

DSCF0073.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0078.JPG

DSCF0068.JPG

DSCF0069.JPG

DSCF0079.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Update #2!

-Photo 1; I wanted a smoothed out front fascia, so i filled in the turnsignals, and mouth. I turned the fog lights into brake ducts.

-Photo 2; I opened the fender vents....gotta love PE saws!!

-Photo 3; I replaced the scalloped side vent with the "Shark Fin"...only mine is a functional vent -not a chip guard.

DSCF0087.JPG

DSCF0088.JPG

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0090.JPG

DSCF0091.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier
  • Like 1

As usual, you're just killing it with this.

Love the subject matter, and I'm digging your changes. 

If you think an Avalanche is over the top, try seeing one in person. It's even wackier. Many years ago, when I worked for Porsche, a local guy had two of them. One was a dark metallic blue. The other was this awful metallic orange fade into metallic red, with a white interior. I mean, I dig the 80s, but this thing was ridiculous.

Looking forward to seeing what a "mild" Avalanche will look like!