Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Dann Tier

Fujimi Porsche 911 Slantnose custom

Recommended Posts

This is build #24. I didnt plan on adding another project, but a good friend of mine from England gave me this kit. No matter how many projects you have, its good form to build this kind of gift as soon as you can, to show appreciation, and to get it done before either one of you snuffs it.

  I got this kit at the right time...i've been feeling like doing something inspired by Singer, and Gambella...an upgraded, special car. Whilst i like the Avelanche Porsche(Gambella), i find it to have too many bodywork things going on for my taste, and it looks heavy. Singer does Porsches right!, and thats the style i like, but with a balanced splash of Gambella. 

  Cant remember where, but i saw an earlier 80's 911 that was a twin turbo, 850+ HP beast, and thats another bit i want for mine! This is being built as the curbside kit that it is, BUT thanks to how it has a removable body like all other Fujimis, i can add a fully detailed EM chassis, and engine at any time.

  I dont wanna change the main design of what i already consider as a perfect design, i just wanna add a bit of "special" to it. Kinda like if you saw it in a dark room as a silhouette, you could tell immediately what is was, then -Suprise! when the lights are turned on!

-Photo 1; The kit.

-Photo 2; I didnt want to have pop-up headlamps this time, but i didnt want Ferrari F40 style either, so thats when i decided to split the difference, and have them be thin slits with LED's.

-Photo 3; Whilst the scalloped side vents do work with the design, i've never liked them on cars -i DO like the wheels!!

-Photo 4; I'm gonna be utilizing the look of the tailights a bit.

-Photo 5; I love the simplicity of Singers, but with the tasteful splash of upgrading!

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

29-e1588622514992-696x392.jpeg

download.jpg

porsche-911-by-singe-8.jpg

Edited by Dann Tier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! I have the kit but my crystal ball says it won't be looking like yours! 😄 Looking forward to it 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pete75 said:

Awesome! I have the kit but my crystal ball says it won't be looking like yours! 😄 Looking forward to it 👍

LOL!....you're lucky to have that kit....yours is the first time i've even seen it as a plastic kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the craziness begin!!

-Photo 1; Since its a curbside, if i cant see it when its on a table...i wont waste my time, money, or supplies on it, so i have this all together ready for paint -notice the upgraded exhaust tips.

-Photo 2; Fujimi must have reused a narrow-body chassis for this WIDE body car!...the wheels/tyres are waaay too far into the fenders, but no worries, i'll fix it with the fatter tyres!

-Photo 3; Since you can easily see through the hood vent, i needed to put something engine like in there, so i made a pedistal for a Tamiya 911GT2 intercooler to sit on. 

-Photo 4; I attached another lift-block with a quick locater tab, and...

-Photo 5; ...it works great! 

-Photo 6; An easy to take off body is one nice thing, but this is annoying! the contact is so weak, that you could say there is none -its as loose as throwing a hotdog down a hallway! Again, no worries...i added some styrene strip to the rear contact to make it stronger, and stop it where it needs to be.

-Photo 7; Here you can see the much improved contact.

-Photo 8; The intercooler fits the space perfectly, and adds some nice visual interest.

 

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of Dr. Dann's lab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am looking forward to your build.  I have  Tamiya GT2Road Version to build in the future so I'll be following along closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fujimi did a kit of the Gemballa Avalanche, assume you are aware of it Dann.

Gemballa Avalanche, Fujimi 3800 (1989)

Edited by afx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is build #24. I didnt plan on adding another project, but a good friend of mine from England gave me this kit. No matter how many projects you have, its good form to build this kind of gift as soon as you can, to show appreciation, and to get it done before either one of you snuffs it.

  I got this kit at the right time...i've been feeling like doing something inspired by Singer, and Gambella...an upgraded, special car. Whilst i like the Avelanche Porsche(Gambella), i find it to have too many bodywork things going on for my taste, and it looks heavy. Singer does Porsches right!, and thats the style i like, but with a balanced splash of Gambella. 

  Cant remember where, but i saw an earlier 80's 911 that was a twin turbo, 850+ HP beast, and thats another bit i want for mine! This is being built as the curbside kit that it is, BUT thanks to how it has a removable body like all other Fujimis, i can add a fully detailed EM chassis, and engine at any time.

  I dont wanna change the main design of what i already consider as a perfect design, i just wanna add a bit of "special" to it. Kinda like if you saw it in a dark room as a silhouette, you could tell immediately what is was, then -Suprise! when the lights are turned on!

-Photo 1; The kit.

-Photo 2; I didnt want to have pop-up headlamps this time, but i didnt want Ferrari F40 style either, so thats when i decided to split the difference, and have them be thin slits with LED's.

-Photo 3; Whilst the scalloped side vents do work with the design, i've never liked them on cars -i DO like the wheels!!

-Photo 4; I'm gonna be utilizing the look of the tailights a bit.

-Photo 5; I love the simplicity of Singers, but with the tasteful splash of upgrading!

 

Too bad  it is curbside I have a Singer engine.

DSC_0002.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, afx said:

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of Dr. Dann's lab.

Thanks alot, Bud!, i have some decent updates to post now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I too am looking forward to your build.  I have  Tamiya GT2Road Version to build in the future so I'll be following along closely.

Thanks, Mike!, that GT2 kit is one of the funnest, fuss-free builds!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, afx said:

Fujimi did a kit of the Gemballa Avalanche, assume you are aware of it Dann.

Gemballa Avalanche, Fujimi 3800 (1989)

Its crazy, but i had no idea of this kit until a couple weeks ago....i wonder how rare it is?...it sure has eluded me all these years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, landman said:

Too bad  it is curbside I have a Singer engine.

DSC_0002.JPG

Thats pretty cool!, where did you source it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres another update, everyone...its getting close!

-Photo 1; I removed the rear lip, and added a thin -slightly arched crossmember.

-Photo 2; Here is the rough look of it from above.

-Photo 3; I decided to cut through three sides of the headlamp covers, and only score the leading one, so that i could simply push them down to the depth i like, then cap the sides from the back side of the body.

-Photo 4; I needed to notch these areas out for clearance.

-Photo 5; Cant wait to put the LED lights in!

-Photo 6; Four things are displayed here...I started making a roof vent that will be very low profile. I ditched the stock hood vent, and started to make my own from styrene. To upgrade a bit more, i removed the side window vent pillars -mimicking the newer Porsches. The last thing i did here was to glue in filler styrene so that i can reshape the side vents later.

-Photo 7&8; Time to cut that roof for the cool air engine duct -idid this the same way i tackled the headlamps.

-Photo 9; This area needed to be notched out a bit.

-Photo 10; This is the start of the interior side of the vent.

-Photo 11&12; This is the body side of the vent. I added a thin strip of styrene to help keep the vent where it will be blended into the roof while i work on it. It will be sanded away later. As you can see, i blended in corner pieces of the stock vent, which balance out the front fender slots nicely.

-Photo 13; Forgot to show you that i had to cut out this area, and lower the crossmember for clearance.

-Photo 14; It fits great, but now i need to add a funnel-neck to it in order to meet the roof cut out.

-Photo 15; Taping the interior vent to the body vent, helped me with where to notch out the parcel tray. I put the body over the chassis/interior tub, then traced around the vent. Always cut slightly inside your lines incase you have to tweak things a bit.

-Photo 16; Like some of the early Duck-tail cars, i wanted to separate the tailights with bodywork.

DSCF0048.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

DSCF0072.JPG

DSCF0073.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0078.JPG

DSCF0068.JPG

DSCF0069.JPG

DSCF0079.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thats pretty cool!, where did you source it?

I scratched it based on a 911 Turbo using Signer's own photos.

Singer 4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Coming along nicely Dann !

 

Thanks, Bud!....there will be another update later today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, landman said:

I scratched it based on a 911 Turbo using Signer's own photos.

Singer 4.jpg

WOW!!....NICE job, Bud!!!.....can i copy you if i decide to put an engine in mine later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

WOW!!....NICE job, Bud!!!.....can i copy you if i decide to put an engine in mine later?

Sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update #2!

-Photo 1; I wanted a smoothed out front fascia, so i filled in the turnsignals, and mouth. I turned the fog lights into brake ducts.

-Photo 2; I opened the fender vents....gotta love PE saws!!

-Photo 3; I replaced the scalloped side vent with the "Shark Fin"...only mine is a functional vent -not a chip guard.

DSCF0087.JPG

DSCF0088.JPG

DSCF0089.JPG

DSCF0090.JPG

DSCF0091.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual, you're just killing it with this.

Love the subject matter, and I'm digging your changes. 

If you think an Avalanche is over the top, try seeing one in person. It's even wackier. Many years ago, when I worked for Porsche, a local guy had two of them. One was a dark metallic blue. The other was this awful metallic orange fade into metallic red, with a white interior. I mean, I dig the 80s, but this thing was ridiculous.

Looking forward to seeing what a "mild" Avalanche will look like!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Bud!

You'll notice that I didn't get the crossover tube of the intake quite right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...