Model Cars Magazine Forum

The EXCLUSIVELY '32 VICKY ONLY thread. Show us what you got!!!

mrm

Here's one that was started by a friend of mine and then passed onto me when he returned to military modelling.  I simply swapped the wheels for Tru-Spoke style wires, adjusted the stance and fitted a dropped headlight bar.  Also detail painted an AMT luggage rack and added Monogram 32 roadster taillights to the rear to complete the resto rod style.

Neat idea for a thread!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

Hi Roger, I will get you some pictures tonight. The ones on the Vicky are from the yellow edition of the Monogram 32 roadster. There is little if any difference in width front and rear.   However, I stumbled on  a happy coincidence recently while looking for the right rims for another project.  The outer rims from the rear of the Tom Daniels Pie Wagon are nearly identical spokes and are much deeper. They fit up to the 32 inners perfectly.  I will get you some photos of both setups shortly.

Cheers

Alan

On 11/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, alan barton said:

Here's one that was started by a friend of mine and then passed onto me when he returned to military modelling.  I simply swapped the wheels for Tru-Spoke style wires, adjusted the stance and fitted a dropped headlight bar.  Also detail painted an AMT luggage rack and added Monogram 32 roadster taillights to the rear to complete the resto rod style.

Neat idea for a thread!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

Really cool Vicky. I have seen quite few Burgundy Vickies and think it is like "THE Vicky color". It looks vintage, classy and meaning business at the same time. 

And by the way. Really nice set of those wheels and tires can be also found in the Revell '30 Phaeton, together with the very cool headlights with the raised turning signals on top of the headlight buckets. 

I'm seeing some pretty cool Vickys here. I haven't built one for myself in a few decades (Was the AMT Fire Chief - long gone), but I do have a couple of cool survivors to share...

This green one was built in 1963.

20191124 210719

20191124 210750

20191124 211005

Then there is this box stock box art replica...

20191115 223238

Thanks for looking!

On 11/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, Snake45 said:

Cool! I recently restored a '66 Mustang that was painted in Pactra Leaf Green and discovered that Short Cuts Hunter Green is a VERY close match to it, if you ever want to do a "tribute" build. B)

Thanks Snake, I will keep that in mind.

I am amazed at how many old models and hobby survivors this thread has brought out. It really cool to see some of these models as they are like time capsules that show the progression of the hobby over the years. It also shows how timeless some things are like colors and wheel choices. I personally believe the Deuce is one of these styles that should be studied in art schools. It is the epitome of balance combined with simplicity and understated utilitarian beauty.  

Hi again Roger, sorry for the delay but here is that side shot you wanted.  And blizzy63, I love the Hot Wheels inspiration - I might have to pinch that idea as that is exactly the colour of the Hot Wheels Vicky in my collection!

20201122_215415[1].jpg

Edited by alan barton

3 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

K&R Kustoms + Rods Vicky combining the Revell sedan with AMT Vicky to get a body having close to correct proportions: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/1932-vicky/

IMG_1124.thumb.JPG.d6abca0f7a73ded7ba516d55d386549c.JPG

Rodney, this is one of the best Vicky Deuces I have ever seen in scale. Absolutely fantastic. 

Tell us a little more about it. I looked over the pictures, but it still gives me no idea what front axle did you use, what did you modify on it? What are the wheel and tires combos? and where did the quick change setup in the rear come from? 

Thanks for the great additions and keep'em coming. 

5 hours ago, mrm said:

Rodney, this is one of the best Vicky Deuces I have ever seen in scale. Absolutely fantastic. 

Tell us a little more about it. I looked over the pictures, but it still gives me no idea what front axle did you use, what did you modify on it? What are the wheel and tires combos? and where did the quick change setup in the rear come from? 

Thanks for the great additions and keep 'em coming. 

Thanks for the kind words. I believe the front axle is from the ole Revell '31 sedan (also in the '29 pickup and other versions?) kit re-issued over the years. We (KK & RRR) cut off the spring and made a rather flat spring out of Evergreen plastics. I usually make a crossmember that gets the front end even lower. Spindles were scratch built. The QC is probably from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, they're also available in many kits. Front tires from The Orange Crate, rear tires form Monogram '41 Lincoln with Revell steel wheels modified to fit the Lincoln wheels. Tutorial here: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/tall-rear-tire-with/ -KK & RRR

IMG_1070.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 10:13 PM, modelcarcrazy said:

I built this soon after it came out several years ago. If I had known then what unbuild examples of these were selling for today, it would have remained unbuild. Regardless, it builds up very nice, and I think was the best of the lot, as far as the Pro Shop kits. 

Didn't realize they were brining good money. I was buying these up when they were cheap, especially the prepaints. But don't worry, the price on these should normalize since Round2 is finally reissuing this

On 11/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, mrm said:

I'll kick it off with the first Vicky I build about six years ago. The model was inspired by a T-shirt art, I saw on somebody's back at the Heartland nationals. 

Body is resin. Most likely Jimmy Flintstone, but not sure.

Frame is highly modified AMT "Phantom Vicky" with the quick change rear I molded and cast from the one in the Red Baron show car. 

Interior is mostly modified Phantom Vicky.

Motor came from the parts box (I think from some mustang kit) and the exhaust I think came from the AMT model T kit.

Wheels and tires are from the Revell Willys.

Paint is Tamiya Bright Red, which is basically the Ferrari Formula 1 red from 2000. It is very orangy.

Hope you like it and yes, the camber issue on the right front, evident on the frontal picture has been addressed. 

Grille, tail light and interior pieces are MCG.

The turned aluminum parts on the engine are Parts by Parks (I believe)

1YecDZ.jpg

3Jm1ei.jpg

a7wdjb.jpg

aT9OT7.jpg

Bsn8Rt.jpg

pyuALZ.jpg

sU1tkM.jpg

Tdgf35.jpg

Ucvbhc.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING

absolutely stunning!!