Model Cars Magazine Forum

The EXCLUSIVELY '32 Pick Up ONLY thread. Show us what you got!!!

On 11/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

I built this from an original issue AMT '34 Pickup about 6 years ago. Hard to tell but paint is actually very dark blue.

IMG_1017-vi.jpg

This thing is killer Dennis. It just has this understated attitude oozing out of it. Not far from what I would do with a real one if I could afford it. 

@mrm  -  Thanks man. I was really pleased with it. Still am. I feel like I got the stance and proportions right. 

Here's another I built about 10 years ago now. It's the AMT/Lindberg '34 Pickup cab, bed, hood, grill and interior parts on a Revell '32 Ford series chassis. Mild chop, shortened bed, lowered more, '32 kit 5-spoke American's in big Blue Streak slicks, '36 headlights, '37 taillights and gutless stock-ish flathead. Paint is Tamiya Light Gunmetal with Olive Drab #2 accents.

1604894233542-vi.jpg

1604894251288-vi.jpg

1604894294437-vi.jpg

1604894281368-vi.jpg

1604894330216-vi.jpg

1604894330638-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 2

And Another...

This is a simple model built from one of Lindberg's '34 Pickup issues. It was inspired by the illustration at the end of the original issue AMT instructions "Hints By Barris". Fenders were obviously ditched, AMT parts pack pre-decorated tires and slicks with the American 12-spokes and 5-spokes from AMT's '32 Vicky. Pontiac engine block from AMT's '36 3-Window/Roadster with the rest of the engine parts all from AMT's Pontiac parts pack engine. Chassis and interior is box-stock. Testors 1-coat Mythical Maroon. The windows look weird because I colored them with red Sharpie when I built this 5 or 5 years ago and they have faded.

1605022181240-vi.jpg

1605022226604-vi.jpg

1605022265379-vi.jpg

1605022227044-vi.jpg

1605022203900-vi.jpg

1605022305030-vi.jpg

IMG_8508-vi.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, dino246gt said:

Wow, great thread some really awesome builds!

I might as well add mine, resin body, scratch built bed, rear frame kicked up, lots of kit bashing and scratch building:

IMG_7351re.JPG

IMG_7353re.JPG

Very nicely done! That is a photo etch grill I Imagine? What paint is that on the interior? 
Thanks, Greg.

I've got a few

Copper Sunrise 60's show pickup. It an actual 32, not the AMT/Lindberg 34, by Rep+Min of Md. Features a pull out tool box in the bed. Saw it in an old Hot Rod. Engine is a resin copy of the McCullough blower setup from the AMT 61-63 Ford pickups, but mounted to the engine from the new tool AMT 60 Starliner.

100 3968

2v22HY54jxuy9t.jpg

2v22HYqjMxuy9t.jpg

2v22HY5Hzxuy9t.jpg

2v22HYFo5xuy9t.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, Plowboy said:

I'm usually not a fan of roadster pickups. But, I love the look this model has! I especially like the wire wheels! Are those 3-D printed or from a kit?

I'll second both the opinion about the looks of the truck and the question about the wheels. Also where did the headers come from?

On 11/14/2020 at 7:39 AM, dino246gt said:

I might as well add mine, resin body, scratch built bed, rear frame kicked up, lots of kit bashing and scratch building:

IMG_7351re.JPG

That's as fine as it gets. Not just sanitary in execution, but spot on in proportions and details. The rolling stock in particular just nails it. What are the wheels and tires? Also, I keep seeing Guide headlights on several models in these  posts. Are there after-market re-pops or must we pilfer the 2009 re-issue of the Revellogram '30 Model A Toouring Street Rod for them?

You've seen all these before but this thread is too good to not be a part of. There are some outstanding models here but yeah, that black RP has me all shivery.  What a stunner.

When i post with captions it doesn't always work so I'll just list them.  

First issue AMT 34 pickup in orange and brown Built nearly forty years ago, one of my first adult builds and first ever paint stripping effort

Lindberg 34 pickup in cream and maroon

AMT 32 roadster pickup cut down from a closed cab, found in an Adelaide antique shop

Lindberg 32 Roadster Pickup in teal

Lindberg 32 Closed cab pickup in blue

Keep 'em coming guys!

Cheers

Alan

20200830_132215.jpg

20200830_131145.jpg

20200830_132915.jpg

20200830_132613.jpg

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7648.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 5:06 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Here's a couple...

Gennie '32 Roadster Pickup from resin conversion for Revell Deuces by Altered States Models:

Bare metal '34 Pickup mainly scratch built using resin chopped '34 cab from Drag City Casting:

DSCF5245-web.jpg
DSCF5239-web.jpg

Beautiful bare metal replication. Can you post some info on how this was done? Thanks.

Later-

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Beautiful bare metal replication. Can you post some info on how this was done? Thanks.

Later-

Thanks. Here's a thread from 2018 I started about this technique:

There's additional discussion on the more recent Bare Metal '32 Ford Roadster I posted but the technique is the same. One detail I omitted is that if you want some dark stained discoloration you can add a very light, random application of of a wash. I use Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash. The trick is to apply it sparingly and len very lightly brush it with a tissue to absorb any loose "puddles" or accumulations. The key is to get a good idea in your mind's eye in advance of where you want to land up.

Edited by Bernard Kron

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Thanks. Here's a thread from 2018 I started about this technique:

There's additional discussion on the more recent Bare Metal '32 Ford Roadster I posted but the technique is the same. One detail I omitted is that if you want some dark stained discoloration you can add a very light, random application of of a wash. I use Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash. The trick is to apply it sparingly and len very lightly brush it with a tissue to absorb any loose "puddles" or accumulations. The key is to get a good idea in your mind's eye in advance of where you want to land up.

Thank you! I'll see about getting some of that.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, dino246gt said:

Wow, great thread some really awesome builds!

IMG_7351re.JPG

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this build is stunning. great color combination and use of parts. It's also nice to see one of the Drag City Casting bodies i mastered actually finished because I've only seen a few.

I'll re-ask the popular questions, what is the source for the wheels?