Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix

doorsovdoon

This is the AMT '65 Grand Prix "By Barris" I bought it cheap on ebay with missing parts. I used the left over stock parts from my recent '65 Pontiac Grand Slam custom build. The only parts I used from this kit was the body, chassis base, interior tub and engine. The mix of the two kits must be at least forty years apart but everything fitted perfectly. Annoyingly, one of the parts missing in this kit was the battery and I didn't have a spare. Body colour is Solar Gold with satin black vinyl roof, interior is Champagne Gold and Solar Gold. Carpet is beige with a light dusting of Aztec Bronze. Sorry about the dark pictures, I was hoping to get some outside shots but the rain shows no signs of stopping, so I had to settle for the old picture frame and baking tray! Enjoy the pics:)

20201102_122458.JPG

20201102_130652.JPG

20201102_120538.JPG

Beautifully finished. I enjoyed watching your build and finished model looks like something from the Pontiac brochure. All the colors look good together and I like the "over spray" paint treatment on the chassis. With your interior work it's almost a shame this isn't a convertible to better show the interior.  

Just now, espo said:

Beautifully finished. I enjoyed watching your build and finished model looks like something from the Pontiac brochure. All the colors look good together and I like the "over spray" paint treatment on the chassis. With your interior work it's almost a shame this isn't a convertible to better show the interior.  

Thanks, Dave. The over spray is one of many tips I've picked up on since joining this forum, most of my builds I do this on now, Lol. I don't mind the roof obscuring the interior cos I know what happened last time I tried to make a convertible '65! haha.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Dominik said:

wow, thats a beautiful build! the interior and undercarriage is awesome and the vinyl roof looks perfect to it. You made a great job on it!

Thanks, Dominik. I'm still waiting for a nice day to take some outdoor shots cos these pictures don't do it justice. The weather has been rubbish since I did this build, that was November 2nd!

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent build Gareth and I plan on doing a vinyl top on mine after seeing this one. The champagne gold interior blends well with the Solar Gold exterior which is a color I haven't been able to find in the hobby paints.  I've seen the Barris themed vintage AMT kits (which I'm assuming this one is) and if I'm not mistaken is a lowrider kit.