Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

The Gremlin was a match race car, in 1970-71 the subcompact cars were not yet legal for NHRA Pro Stock.

The kit box looks like a C-209 kit, if so that is a 1972 (not much difference anyway).  The '72 kit did not have a separate grille insert piece like the '70 and '71 kits.  Incidentally there was no '72 promo model, only the funny car kit.  Sadly, Jo-Han never offered a stock Hornet kit, not even a snap version.

The interior bucket and chassis to look for would be the Jo-Han Javelin/AMX Trans-Am racing version.  The chassis has the rear suspension detail molded in and the inner front wheel wells are incorrect though.  The interior bucket is a very close fit though, the side panels need to be tweaked a bit.

I started working on the body, as I mentioned in the beginning the body was painted with lacquer and the plastic was crazed. I spent almost two days sanding .scraping and rescribing the panel line’s, if I can’t save the body, there’s no need to continue. I started with 400 grit, primer and 600 grit, I think I’m good to go .

4ABD3D2D-0A2E-4C5B-A330-97DEE2A11748.jpeg

782D1B09-1AC7-4F11-B806-D1F2E174F25A.jpeg

AE58982B-D2BB-4264-8015-E6C529F7B21F.jpeg

• Like 2

Great save on that body.  I too have a spare Hornet sedan body as well as a set of decals I got off eBay.  My plan involves building it the way Jo-Han would have done it had they made a kit.  

Why they made them as funny cars is a mystery, as nobody ever ran a Hornet funny car.  They probably just wanted to get more use out of that chassis.  I'd like to find a beat-up Hornet hatchback body, I think it would make a neat looking funny car if stretched and modified like other funny car bodies were.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, Mark said:

Great save on that body.  I too have a spare Hornet sedan body as well as a set of decals I got off eBay.  My plan involves building it the way Jo-Han would have done it had they made a kit.  

Why they made them as funny cars is a mystery, as nobody ever ran a Hornet funny car.  They probably just wanted to get more use out of that chassis.  I'd like to find a beat-up Hornet hatchback body, I think it would make a neat looking funny car if stretched and modified like other funny car bodies were.

P M sent

• 3 weeks later...

So, very little progress, Wednesday before Thanksgiving I came down with a 101 fever, lasted 5 days, couldn’t breath, three trips to the emergency room and finally hospitalized with Covid-19 and pneumonia. Needless to say I’ve not been to the work bench. They sent me home where I’m still on Oxygen, very weak, but slowly getting better. I have major brain fog and it’s hard to think things through.

8B1A2F85-F0FB-4F20-AFDA-1877FB1C29B3.jpeg

A083342F-B700-4219-A9EA-910E8A7EC686.jpeg

6729C2DF-D932-49C9-AC95-5F8A7FDAA11F.jpeg

CFC2D114-E01F-4D91-BD93-1A8C8A7F5B05.jpeg

• Like 1

Hope you are the downside of your recovery from the "vid" Roger.  You really had it bad that is most obvious.  On the positive side, your mods and attention to detail are stellar.  This is a fun thread to follow & I really enjoy your updates.   cheers, tim

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, bytownshaker said:

Hi Roger hope your feeling better. Found this picture of the Hornet and thought of your build.

Edgar  

139569119_10218710667623221_437890649194426878_o.jpg

Thanks Edgar, Thats a really  a good photo of the car, I noticed the number 2 car in the background.   I am doing better, I’m back to work and run out of energy about 2 in the afternoon, slows the model building. 

NEED HELP! So I’m getting back on this build and the rear wheels just don’t look right, so I get to looking closer and it appears the rear wheels only have 4 holes. I know several 70s AMT kits had this style wheel, but I wasn’t aware that they were a real wheel. Does anyone have any info on these wheels?

4B8F3507-1D15-4B49-8301-18F6BB4AF193.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dragcarz said:

NEED HELP! So I’m getting back on this build and the rear wheels just don’t look right, so I get to looking closer and it appears the rear wheels only have 4 holes. I know several 70s AMT kits had this style wheel, but I wasn’t aware that they were a real wheel. Does anyone have any info on these wheels?

4B8F3507-1D15-4B49-8301-18F6BB4AF193.png

American Racing - Standard were 4 slot . good wheel sites ar Wheels Unlimited & Classic racing wheels