Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

On 1/20/2021 at 1:37 PM, Jack L said:

amt 33 willys ,       1st issue 57 chevy  ,  72 GMC pu ,  72 chevelle?  

I found them in the AMT 33 Willys, I have a first issue 57, and the holes seem too squared, I have an issue of the 72 Chevelle, but it has ugly 5 hole modular looking wheels. I guess the 33Willys will be sacrificed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Funny I should find this thread, in those pictures of the car at MCACN, there's a model of the car sitting on the hood scoop. That's my model! I had built it to display alongside the car at the show, and I even got it signed by Shirley while she was there. I built mine off of a promo model, so the details are a little lacking. I'm very excited to see how yours comes out. If you're interested, I think I still have the files from printing the decals. I printed them on clear decal paper with a normal inkjet printer.spacer.png

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 3:58 PM, BubbingScrubbles said:

Funny I should find this thread, in those pictures of the car at MCACN, there's a model of the car sitting on the hood scoop. That's my model! I had built it to display alongside the car at the show, and I even got it signed by Shirley while she was there. I built mine off of a promo model, so the details are a little lacking. I'm very excited to see how yours comes out. If you're interested, I think I still have the files from printing the decals. I printed them on clear decal paper with a normal inkjet printer.spacer.png

Wow Eddie, that’s really cool, I’m stalled right now I just  moved my daughter out of state, and I’m training for a new job, too busy to get any bench time. Yes I would be very interested in the decal file. Or a printed sheet, let me know what you would want for it. I’m really interested in the roof decals also.  Thank you!

• 11 months later...

Ok, so I revisited this post as I started working on the Hornet again and realized it’s been a year ago since I last posted anything. It took me forever to get over Covid, it really messed me up physically. Im what they call a long hauler, but enough of that.

I had cut the inner fender structure from the American kit and aligned and glued it in place. Since the interior from the American is too narrow I cut the floor from the door panels, and removed the back seat. The molded in front suspension is not accurate so I’ve trimmed it from the chassis plate. I have some parts box Mustang front suspension that is more close to the original AMC pieces. I’m going to need to trim the shock towers and make shock mounts. 

901BB4EF-E96C-4C45-8D20-CC85678BE8B9.jpeg

47A32FF1-FDBD-4FAB-A6C7-5B4BE5AA3821.jpeg

21AD4213-6D6D-4B93-B504-B8CC764477DC.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, dragcarz said:

I started working on the Hornet again and realized it’s been a year

Congrats on your recovery, and welcome back! Happy to see this build continuing. Very cool idea. Not clear if you ever found the wheels you needed, but a beautiful set can be found in the AMT '57 Thunderbird, scale out to 15-inch size, all four same deep dish. Here's a bad flash photo:

P1030040.JPG

Edited by bisc63
added info

9 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Congrats on your recovery, and welcome back! Happy to see this build continuing. Very cool idea. Not clear if you ever found the wheels you needed, but a beautiful set can be found in the AMT '57 Thunderbird, scale out to 15-inch size, all four same deep dish. Here's a bad flash photo:

P1030040.JPG

Right now I have the Ohio George AMT wheels…. I would assume there the same wheel. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great project. As a Hornet owner, this is close to my heart. The first page article read that the transmission was a Borg Warner Super T-10s. The SC Rambler’s engine is from Jo-Han ’66 Marlin with upgraded parts and the transmission is an old torque tube manual. You can get the right T-10 4-speed manual from AMT's Bobby Allison's 1975 Matador.

P1010045 1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, the downer 69 Rambler chassis’ front crossmember was short molded. The front frame rails were also very thin, like Kit flashing, so I needed to replace the crossmember and I filled the gaps in the rails to strengthen it. Kari suggested the engine from the Matador kit might be a more accurate, so I pulled my NASCAR Matador kit out. At some point I had obtained a poorly built glue bomb and put it in with the new kit. There I found my answer to the crossmember. I cut it free and trimmed it to fit. I did look at the engine though, and I have the one from the original funny car kit and it appears to be a good choice, so I’ll be using it. I also found that the AMT NASCAR kits rear spring fit perfectly in the shock towers. I have some lower control arms, I think there from the Monogram 65-66 Mustang kit, that I’m going to try and make work

3BD5F12C-53F4-4ADC-B88B-5B386122C9E0.jpeg

B7A65BC6-F447-4A49-96E2-C36CAFF84FCA.jpeg

C9C71E6D-308C-4899-B2F8-3FB86E46D7D2.jpeg

C62B0532-4216-4411-B127-3A69D4A73BEA.jpeg

E7394B7B-9F62-4C41-BDC4-17F87D25D861.jpeg

D18A24A1-8103-4107-8A4C-F3D2988FF141.jpeg

• Like 1

Stance, Ride Height, whatever you call it, can make or break a model! Get this wrong and it just won’t look right. All the detail in the world isn’t going to help if at first glance the model doesn’t appear realistic sitting there. I try to find a good photo of the car sitting still, and pay attention to where the center of the wheels are in relation to the body rocker panels. Is it above or below the rocker panel and I try to place the wheel centers accordingly. I also try and match tire sizes. If I can obtain the correct tire/ slick size, I measure different kit slicks and conversion the measurements to 1/1 scale. 
On the real car, according to my reference material the rear springs were moved inboard into the rear frame rails for additional tire clearance so I starter these modifications by notching the rear rails and filling the original spring mount holes with styrene. 
The Dana Rear axle housing was also braced, so I added the braces using Plastic Rod. 

0E6D8898-05EB-44C5-8725-7A1E3D602AF9.jpeg

2D16C9C0-2772-4709-8AF0-3A8797C29C25.jpeg

A0924FC5-FA11-4EFA-A55C-C8D6C6BB85F6.jpeg

9CF01C57-9FFB-44BB-AD85-9FF92A7F4125.jpeg

• Like 1