Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shirley Shahan’s Hornet Pro Stock

dragcarz

5 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Roger I'm really enjoying your build. I've been a Pro Stock fanatic from the early 70's. I found this picture that might help with your stance/ride height.

shirleyshahanhornetSSIndy712-vi.jpg

Yes, I’m enjoying the build also, thank you, that’s a great shot!

While waiting for the chassis mods to dry, I started on the tunnel ram. The Johan AMC motor has a deep curved lifter valley. A tunnel ram comes in the Gremlin kit but the lifer valley is flat and it’s too tall. I started with the duel quad intake from the 53 Corvette and added the plenum from another  tunnel ram. The scrap Matador kit had a single 4 barrel intake the matched the curved valley. I cut the ends from the 4 barrel intake and put the AMC ends on the Corvette manifold. The 1/1 car had modified tunnel ram hobbled together by AMC, and this looks similar to theirs. 

606C2D4B-3162-444A-BB50-EF0FED2E1A58.jpeg

B94EFC11-5A34-4608-8F79-0C75AD00355D.jpeg

5586A5C8-B2B1-4176-80D2-460C5ED0A4B3.jpeg

C8F35BE3-3FBA-4EA5-A12F-A20BA1914CD9.jpeg

07DEF04D-4FD9-4DDA-B62D-7A4214945B7B.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm no photographer but I use a piece of poster board propped up on my work bench to hide the background clutter when I'm taking progress photos.  This help my camera focus on the subject of the photograph and not the surrounding objects. 

Enjoying the project.

Edited by afx

12 hours ago, afx said:

I'm no photographer but I use a piece of poster board propped up on my work bench to hide the background clutter when I'm taking progress photos.  This help my camera focus on the subject of the photograph and not the surrounding objects. 

Enjoying the project.

I’ll give that a try, I’m no photographer, obviously:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, bytownshaker said:

Roger I'm really enjoying your build. I've been a Pro Stock fanatic from the early 70's. I found this picture that might help with your stance/ride height.

shirleyshahanhornetSSIndy712-vi.jpg

Thanks Clarence, that’s a good reference photo!

• 1 month later...

Wow, it’s been hard to get some bench time. I’ve been working on the interior, the Rambler American S/C doner kits interior was too narrow. I cut the side panels from the floor and added .020 styrene strips to the floor. A test fit showed the width to be good but it’s too tall. I’ll need to trim the sides down. I added patch panels to the interior side Quarter panels.
I also added subframe connectors to the chassis. 

3F7944A3-B438-445A-8D15-2D2AF9410958.jpeg

49A7F0C0-B6B6-44C0-BB04-24C580491DAD.jpeg

2220A277-4D48-4B0F-B48D-92F0DC264870.jpeg

0C22AB75-B6B3-434D-A0DC-15D12B0D6421.jpeg

3F0E0E5E-4539-4DBE-A0D3-1769C39380F2.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work Roger !   I'm glad to see this little drag car back on the bench, I love these too often overlooked car projects like the AMC Hornet.

I have a pristine white '74 promo version that I've always wanted to turn into Wally Booth's Pro Stock, but I have too many projects in mind and not enough time to do them. 😢

10 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice work Roger !   I'm glad to see this little drag car back on the bench, I love these too often overlooked car projects like the AMC Hornet.

I have a pristine white '74 promo version that I've always wanted to turn into Wally Booth's Pro Stock, but I have too many projects in mind and not enough time to do them. 😢

Thanks Francis. I to, have a lot of projects I’d like to complete. I recently acquired another MPC 72 Duster pro stock, it’s the Akron Arlen version, that I would like to do similar to my California Flash, only this time using the AMT Duster kit for the chassis. I also have a rare Revell 69 Mustang Coupe, and an original AMT 67 Ford Fairlane that I would like to build into Super Stockers. I need to quit my job…….

• 2 months later...

Finally getting some decent weather. I miss Georgia, I could paint year round there and I had a modeling room that was air conditioned. Here in Indiana I’m working in the garage without any climate control. 

I bent up the main hoop for the roll bar, located some seats from a Johan Sox & Martin Cuda, which match the reference photos I have. I also moved the dashboard back on the side panels for a better look. I scratch built the package shelf.

I painted the body Model Master classic white. I used my paint booth for the first time and I’m pleased with the results. I did get a few dust specks but nothing that can’t be corrected. 

CBDE4087-67A6-4105-9E1F-AE975AA32042.jpeg

CCBF23ED-DC10-4BB5-83B8-209E48BFDF86.jpeg

79639001-09F5-436A-A294-4AB9B78663E5.jpeg

• Like 2

That's looking killer Roger.  The paint came out nice.  I hear ya about the weather here in Evansville.  I don't paint unless the humidity is at least in the mid 60% range.  Going to try and shoot some clear later this afternoon if the humidity comes down.   

When I built my California Flash Duster I used Fred Candy decals, as that was all I had. Within a week or two of completion Slixx Decals released the California Flash decal sheet.
 I started this project with only the Drag on Lady Dodge Dart decals thinking I could make them work. Along the way I acquired an after market set for the Hornet to fill in the gaps, where the Dart sheet wouldn’t cover. 
I heard a rumor Slixx was doing a decal sheet for this car and I  contacted Becky at Slixx and sure enough the decals are out for approval and should be ready in six weeks! They also have decals to cover the number two car, the Gremlin , and the AMX. I’ll try and be patient.

9359B941-0DF0-4961-AE1B-315C435F78B2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dragcarz said:

When I built my California Flash Duster I used Fred Candy decals, as that was all I had. Within a week or two of completion Slixx Decals released the California Flash decal sheet.
 I started this project with only the Drag on Lady Dodge Dart decals thinking I could make them work. Along the way I acquired an after market set for the Hornet to fill in the gaps, where the Dart sheet wouldn’t cover. 
I heard a rumor Slixx was doing a decal sheet for this car and I  contacted Becky at Slixx and sure enough the decals are out for approval and should be ready in six weeks! They also have decals to cover the number two car, the Gremlin , and the AMX. I’ll try and be patient.

9359B941-0DF0-4961-AE1B-315C435F78B2.png

Looking great so far. Looking forward to getting the new Slixx sheet.Hopefully someone will do a resin Hornet body