Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2021 theme suggestion

Jantrix

First off, I’d like to start this by thanking Anthony (Disconovaman) for taking over the Cannonball Run CBP. He did an excellent job in 2020, and I’m sure the same will be true for 2021.

The reason I’m posting, is that I came up with a theme idea, (I may not run the CBR anymore, but I still think about it) and bounced it off Anthony, and we both love the idea. So, the following is my suggestion for the theme for the 2021 Cannonball Run CBP.

We have done all sorts of themes throughout our now, 14-year history on two forums. Most all have been car/year specific. I’m suggesting something a bit more kit specific. That is - disguised race cars. In the 1981 film there’s a scene where Father Jamie Blake makes fun of the girls Lambo, snidely referring to it as a disguised race car. That was the inspiration for this.

image.png.9ece1961d01e688bd45693ad346e50c2.png

So, the rules for my suggestion would be the following. Take any kit that was released as a purpose-built race car and modify it so that it could be used to race cross country on public roads. This would include rally, stock, drift, IMSA, drag, circle track, road course etc. car that was purpose built for racing and wore livery.

Now a case could be made that lots of cars nearly stock wore livery and raced. I’d be asking you to be a little more creative than just building a ’69 Nova, Charger, Mustang with street tires.

I’m looking for all our usual suspects, our regular bunch of Cannonball scofflaws to give this a thought and chime in with your opinions on the idea. If enough people like the idea, we’ll go with it, if not, Anthony will run the usual poll to let folks decide next years theme. I will be doing my best to participate as a builder/racer this year.

image.png.7a4886ea20a273313cacac76172dcda4.png

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

How stock does it have to be, are we talking about rebuilding interiors?

Thanks for the questions Mike, My interpretation of the theme is something that goes unnoticed but has the ability to be the fastest! So Race car on the inside, with the least recognized appearance. 

I do think that limiting the challenge to purpose built race subject models only, will allow a certain level of creativity... on the other hand, will limit the amount of kits to choose from. That said, I still think there are enough specific kitted Race Cars out there.

I believe anyone could slap a stock body over a Nascar chassis (I've done it plenty of times). The challenge is to trun that Nascar into a daily driver. I think styrene strips and filler could be a good way to add dimensions to a Nascar... Using parts from a different body like ground effects, spoilers, mirrors, I would think should be acceptable. Rally cars would be great to start with if you're trying to keep the body stock...

What I really think embodies the sprirt of the scene from the movie is what Cannonballers have aspired to do since the beginning and that is to be unnoticed and blend in. For example, an Ambulance, a Police car, and a Limo ???!!!

Here are pictures of the perfect unsuspecting dragster a 2015 Toyota Camry with 600 hp Tundra powered, Nitrous fed monster... not your typical commuter...good for 9 sec quarter mile E.T.'s!? If only there was a model kit of a race Toyota Camry ??????

850-HP-Stock-Looking-2015-Toyota-Camry-Sleeper-at-SEMA-2014-1-1024x682.jpg

flip-top-camry-sema013.jpg

2 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

How stock does it have to be, are we talking about rebuilding interiors? Also, what's the word on grafting similar stock bodies onto race chassis if the modification amounts to swapping out enough parts to just do a body swap anyway?

Interiors could be as race as you want, but trying to tuck the roll cages in such a way that it's harder to see from the outside would be encouraged. Several of us did that very well in the Sleeperball.

6 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks for the questions Mike, My interpretation of the theme is something that goes unnoticed but has the ability to be the fastest! So Race car on the inside, with the least recognized appearance. 

I do think that limiting the challenge to purpose built race subject models only, will allow a certain level of creativity... on the other hand, will limit the amount of kits to choose from. That said, I still think there are enough specific kitted Race Cars out there.

I believe anyone could slap a stock body over a Nascar chassis (I've done it plenty of times). The challenge is to trun that Nascar into a daily driver. I think styrene strips and filler could be a good way to add dimensions to a Nascar... Using parts from a different body like ground effects, spoilers, mirrors, I would think should be acceptable. Rally cars would be great to start with if you're trying to keep the body stock...

Couldn't have said it better. Modifying the stock car body to be less stock car-ish, using parts from the production car, is what I originally thought of for this theme. Headlights, tail lights, license plate, side mirrors, get rid of racing fuel caps, and any other obvious race car details, etc. However, I honestly never thought someone would do a modern stock car. The windscreens alone would be a huge headache.

Technically, putting the stock body on a race chassis, IS disguising the race car, just in a more all-encompassing way. It has been done many times in our years doing the Cannonball. 

This is a good question and I'm glad it came up now. In the end, this is Anthony's CBP and I've added my opinion. It will be his call on this.

5 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Start date you're shooting for?

Build starts Jan 1st 2021, it ends Dec 1st 2021 that gives you 11 months to build. If we decide this is the theme for Next year's Cannonball Run then I'll have an official Build thread posted of all the rules, there we can post our build progress...same as all the past Cannonball Runs...

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

My car might not be enough of a race car then, it's got a gutted interior with a roll cage and open exhaust but otherwise it's pretty stock.

My Matador is close to that too. But this is a KIT specific challenge. As long as it meets the requirement of a purpose-built, liveried race car, it qualifies. If you are talking about that Jag, I'd say it does. If you want to try something that is a bit more challenging, that's fine too. Honestly, that's always been the beauty of the CBR, you can go as mild or wild as you want. And I think your Jag and Howard's Aerotech, showcase that very well.

1 hour ago, Howard Cohen said:

This is a neat idea. I just picked up these two built cars and was thinking about rebuilding them but not sure how. Now I may rebuild them as Cannonball cars :) 

I think the Aerotech would be a PERFECT candidate for this theme. Clearly a purpose built race car. It was an Oldmobile land speed test car and wears Oldmobile livery although fairly limited, but I think it would quality.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, Jantrix said:

My Matador is close to that too. But this is a KIT specific challenge. As long as it meets the requirement of a purpose-built, liveried race car, it qualifies. If you are talking about that Jag, I'd say it does. If you want to try something that is a bit more challenging, that's fine too. Honestly, that's always been the beauty of the CBR, you can go as mild or wild as you want. And I think your Jag and Howard's Aerotech, showcase that very well.

Ok, I just wanted to throw it out there before things kicked off.

Can I have your attention please? I have been thinking about next year's CBR alot lately and I really want to run this theme for the 2021 Cannonball. I do have some concerns about dictating the theme and not giving folks a chance to throw their own idea in the ring though. My dilemma is I don't want to undermine all the potential candidates. I feel like I need everyone's permission who are interested in participating. ?

I really thought this idea would gain some ground and bring out all the "Out of the box" thinkers... Modeling doesn't have to be a challenge but sometimes it's good to have a reason to push yourself creatively. 

I believe we could have an opportunity  to create some unique models with this theme, ones that we might not build ordinarily...

How does everyone feel? Please don't hold back... Honesty is the best way to resolve problems. ? 

In the past I have "dictated" the theme for at least the first six runs and we had some excellent runs. I think the Vannonball was my only faux pas in that regard. We didn't start polling for the theme until quite late in our 14 years. 

In the end, it is your CBP and we have had some good response to the idea. There are a LOT of kits to choose from and lots of options. Whats available from Fujimi and Tamiya alone is enough to make your head spin. My $0.02.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

In the past I have "dictated" the theme for at least the first six runs and we had some excellent runs.

Well that is reassuring for sure. If I didn't count wrong we have at least nine people interested. That's roughly about the same as completed  builds that we currently have in the still very active and on going Cannonball Run. If there isn't anyone opposed to the idea, The 2021 Cannonball theme will likely be Race Cars in disguise  "Wolves in Sheep's clothing" let's get that trending! 

My 2-cents (and, keep in mind I've never participated/competed in your series before, but this theme intrigues . . . ) :

I think you would need to have some tie to the original, basic concept.

Specifically, I'm thinking that using a NASCAR (just for example) model as the base kit would be fine, but the Cannonball was a Coast-to-Coast run over public roads, and required more than one driver. Thus, any entry would need provision or two or more peeps, not just a driver seat, like most specific-built competition vehicles.

(Forgive me if that was way too obvious. Chalk it up to a rookie faux pas.)

?

Edited by Danno

27 minutes ago, Danno said:

Forgive me if that was way too obvious

I wouldn't call it obvious, observational would be what I'd call it and I'm glad this peaks your interest.  We'd love to see you join us... I think this will be a good one to be a part of! I may be wrong but this "out of the box" thinking is what I was talking about. Thanks for the input too.