Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2021 theme suggestion

Jantrix

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Cannonball was a Coast-to-Coast run over public roads, and required more than one driver. Thus, any entry would need provision or two or more peeps, not just a driver seat, like most specific-built competition vehicles

?

Not obvious, but very valid. Space for 2+ seems a  reasonable stipulation ?

10 hours ago, Danno said:

My 2-cents (and, keep in mind I've never participated/competed in your series before, but this theme intrigues . . . ) :

I think you would need to have some tie to the original, basic concept.

Specifically, I'm thinking that using a NASCAR (just for example) model as the base kit would be fine, but the Cannonball was a Coast-to-Coast run over public roads, and required more than one driver. Thus, any entry would need provision or two or more peeps, not just a driver seat, like most specific-built competition vehicles.

(Forgive me if that was way too obvious. Chalk it up to a rookie faux pas.)

?

I agree with Dann, if you're doing a race car, it's going to need to be modified to some extent to be able to run on public roads....race slicks are not going to get you across the country, and you're not going to be able to "pit" to swap tires in a rain storm, nor would race slicks be reliable over normal roads.

As for two driver's, the record was beat this year buy a guy solo in a rental Mustang he modified....but tbh...I think a co-driver would be a lot more realistic for most racers.....and would add another element of modifications, scratch building that everyone would have to do.....if you use a rally car you'd have a step up, but not a huge advantage.

6 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

That is a consideration I've been thinking about. While there is a separate record for solo Cannonballers most runs are a team of two to three people. 

Two divisions, solo, teams would be cool.....but I'd like to see cars built to have a "team" again, to add to the scratch/mod building.

I'm totally in on the race car vibe. I love the idea. And my kit just arrived in the mail today so I've got a starting point already.

8 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I agree with Dann, if you're doing a race car, it's going to need to be modified to some extent to be able to run on public roads....race slicks are not going to get you across the country, and you're not going to be able to "pit" to swap tires in a rain storm, nor would race slicks be reliable over normal roads.

Yep, I agree about the race slicks. They don't have the durability to last the distance of the race and with the possibility of changing weather conditions just aren't a reasonable choice. My Jag comes with slicks but I'm going to switch them out for normal performance tires. 

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

One of the rules in the CBR is to appear street legal... So If you built a Race car in any CBR you would need to use street tires...  I'm not real sure what I'm gonna build yet. Nascar?  Off Road Baja? Rally car? Lots of choices... 

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

One of the rules in the CBR is to appear street legal... So If you built a Race car in any CBR you would need to use street tires...  I'm not real sure what I'm gonna build yet. Nascar?  Off Road Baja? Rally car? Lots of choices... 

That is another good point:  Slicks are not / would not be street legal (nor safe) for a cross-country excursion.

?

[In May 2020, Arne Toman and Doug Tabbutt set the new cannonball record of 25 hours and 39 minutes during the COVID-19 pandemic in a modified 2016 Audi S6 disguised to look like a Ford Taurus police interceptor. Police-evasion modifications included brake light kill-switches, radar detectors, laser diffusers, CB-radio, and a roof-mounted thermal camera. Performance modifications included a trunk-mounted 67-gallon auxiliary fuel cell]

Although technically not a real race car, the overall idea is the same. I really admire how relevant this method still is after all these years. Which really makes this theme even more Genius! I'm excited to announce the Cannonball Ruse 2021... I got a good feeling!

I am thinking about doing this as a first community build but was wondering how much of the original race car kit would need to remain.  For example, if one where to start with a John Mazmania Willy's gasser could it be converted to a coil over front end? That straight axle would be brutal on the Interstate, let alone back country two lane.

1 hour ago, kermn8r said:

I am thinking about doing this as a first community build

Awesome! the more the merrier! ?

1 hour ago, kermn8r said:

could it be converted to a coil over front end?

Very good question, thanks for the interest, As far as the rules go I'm still working it out honestly. The main goal of the Community builds is to get people building together and if we're all building the same theme, it really does help builders connect.

My main goal in the CBR is to keep everyone building. The way I run it will always be up to the builder's open interpretation. I don't want to be told what to do on my model, so I'm not gonna do it to anyone else. ? The overall Theme will be set in place and then you just follow the rules how you interpret them. I would trust that everyone will stay within the blurred lines Lol.

To answer your question specifically,  I would  think that the build needs to be both safe and practical for the long haul. So maybe a straight axle would have to be replaced with coilovers... not to mention be unnoticed as a "race" car. 

I think when it comes down to it, the golden rule will be... the model you choose to build has to show some version of a Race car or Racing Sponsorship and or numbers on the boxart.

The question has been asked if we would  allow two different kits?  example: nascar chassis and stock body... the short answer will likely be since we have already allowed it previously then YES... if you must but I encourage the builder to choose something more challenging. Agian as long as it gets you building and participating,  then that's my goal!

On 11/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, disconovaman said:

The question has been asked if we would  allow two different kits?  example: nascar chassis and stock body... the short answer will likely be since we have already allowed it previously then YES... if you must but I encourage the builder to choose something more challenging. Agian as long as it gets you building and participating,  then that's my goal!

I am glad you said that, as this is my plan and I am doing it because it will be more challenging. The body I have planned was never used as a "Stock Car" and so I will have to heavily modify the chassis to fit it under the body I chose. As it worked out, I have 2 kits that I just have not had any real inspiration on. Then this was suggested and I pulled them both out to see if it was possible, and it will be. 1 kit I got at Goodwill for $6 and the other I got at an Antique store for $7. So, I have room to add and make it fun. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, disconovaman said:

I think when it comes down to it, the golden rule will be... the model you choose to build has to show some version of a Race car or Racing Sponsorship and or numbers on the boxart.

If I'm reading this correctly, the JoHan '70 Superbird would be legal, right? Also, is it okay to start with a glue bomb, or would it have to be a new kit? 

JoHan-C-102-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

On 11/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, disconovaman said:

[In May 2020, Arne Toman and Doug Tabbutt set the new cannonball record of 25 hours and 39 minutes during the COVID-19 pandemic in a modified 2016 Audi S6 disguised to look like a Ford Taurus police interceptor. Police-evasion modifications included brake light kill-switches, radar detectors, laser diffusers, CB-radio, and a roof-mounted thermal camera. Performance modifications included a trunk-mounted 67-gallon auxiliary fuel cell]

Although technically not a real race car, the overall idea is the same. I really admire how relevant this method still is after all these years. Which really makes this theme even more Genius! I'm excited to announce the Cannonball Ruse 2021... I got a good feeling!

Before that run, this team using a Mercedes disguised as an Accord, which is what I would consider doing.
New Record: Mercedes E63 AMG Crosses U.S.A. in 27 Hours, 25 Minutes Dec. 3, 2019.

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

Single driver or team car, its the same race,.. TT

Im thinkin

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.9d96044efdd263510cadc000398ed643.JPG

With a more subdued livery,..maybe a new power plant too..lol

Cant wait to meet all you scafflaws again next year...

Cheers Cannonballers!!

Looks like the Canuks are bringing out the Canadian made guns for this year's run. See you in the trenches Bruce.

17 minutes ago, Impalow said:

I have some interesting thoughts rattling around in my head

You and me both ? I've been trying not to over think it, but it's all I've been thinking about. ?  I wouldn't call my thoughts interesting though, more just trying to get my mind wrapped around it. ?

I'm eager to start the Official build thread too. I hope to see ya at the starting line!

These are the two kits, currently in my stash, that fit the theme. I'm leaning heavily toward the Matador, though realistically speaking, the Vette would make for a better racer. Unless something new pops up on the radar, that is. ? I was pretty certain the Tamiya Mustang and the Revell Ford GT would show up. I wouldn't be surprised, if this year we see a record number of Tamiya, Fujimi and Aoshima kits show up. They have by far, more purpose built race car kits than the American or German companies.

AMT/ERTL 1/25 1975 Matador, previewed by Scott Van AkenRevell ~John Greenwood's "Stars & Stripes" CORVETTE | #135659475

Edited by Jantrix