Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2021 theme suggestion

Jantrix

1 hour ago, Impalow said:

those re-bodied nascar

Here's the thing though, I won't be encouraging anyone to re-body a Nascar... the challenge is to use an existing race car body, :example... modify and create a stock looking car from that original nascar kit.

The original theme concept was to build a race car kit that doesn't look like a racecar...However, I'm not gonna limit the kit, nor I'm I about changing the Cannonball Run Rules... In the past, re-bodied kits or kit-bashed entries were allowed... so a re-bodied kit Will  be allowed. 

In conclusion, as always (as long as I run the CBR) it will be up to each individual's "OPEN" interpretation on what they choose to build. As long as you participate and follow the blurred guidelines, that's what is important to me.

For me personally, I would love to see that mini-van body on a Funnycar style working hinge and when you lift the van body up you see the Toyota as it appears on the box... but whatever you want to do is totally up to you and we will welcome it at the starting line!  ? 

Edited by disconovaman

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Here's the thing though, I won't be encouraging anyone to re-body a Nascar... the challenge is to use an existing race car body, :example... modify and create a stock looking car from that original nascar kit.

The original theme concept was to build a race car kit that doesn't look like a racecar...However, I'm not gonna limit the kit, nor I'm I about changing the Cannonball Run Rules... In the past, re-bodied kits or kit-bashed entries were allowed... so a re-bodied kit Will  be allowed. 

In conclusion, as always (as long as I run the CBR) it will be up to each individual's "OPEN" interpretation on what they choose to build. As long as you participate and follow the blurred guidelines, that's what is important to me.

For me personally, I would love to see that mini-van body on a Funnycar style working hinge and when you lift the van body up you see the Toyota as it appears on the box... but whatever you want to do is totally up to you and we will welcome it at the starting line!  ? 

Very cool!   I almost like your interpretation better and may come up with something else based on that...

Im not 100% sure where im headed, or if this is even the "one"... still brainstorming ideas...

I have always thought it would be fun to make a very very extreme race car look like a mundane street car(van), and you read my mind with the funny car style opening body!

Kinda how this was effectively a GT40 in a vans clothing....

1971-supervan_-_1.jpg.31605e6b763278135bd3c769c6b29b97.jpg

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

For me personally, I would love to see that mini-van body on a Funnycar style working hinge and when you lift the van body up you see the Toyota as it appears on the box.

That reminds me of Condorman.

I think this theme will be a lot of fun.

I was really having a problem figuring out how I could join with what I currently have. So with disconovamans words echoing in my ears, I started digging.  I have about four ERTL indy cars with no tires or instructions or decals that I have not found a home for. I also have a revellogram 65 mustang body...

Wheel base lines up and the body slips right over it. I might need to add fender flares. I found a set of tires that will work with four front wheels, I could not find anything wider for the rear wheels, which is probably a good thing.

20201207_142534.jpg

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Wheel base lines up and the body slips right over it.

??  My gears are turning for ya!  ?... I'd maybe figure out how to section the lower part of the Mustang body... (back front fender to the front quarters) about  midway up where the indy car meets?... the top of the car would open like the old VW Sterling kit cars. 

I've got a feeling we're all gonna  be helping out each other with this theme as we go long. 

snap450.2.jpg

13 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

The Ruse .. personified...

Yes!!!   that is awesome!

16 hours ago, avidinha said:

That reminds me of Condorman.

I think this theme will be a lot of fun.

Oh my... I totally forgot about Condorman... When I was a young lad that was my go to movie when I would stay home sick from school... that and ironically the cannonball run movies.

This looks like a job for @spencer1984 ?

Edited by Impalow

Some ideas I've been bouncing around, although I'm pretty set on my Matador. All purpose built race cars with livery modified to race cross country.

1. A road going Hemi Under Glass Baracuda with Jay Leno as co-pilot.

2. Revell Black Widow or Badman on a modern frame from a Foose kit.

3. Revell Bentley Blower on a Monogram 37 Ford chassis.

4. Tamiya Lancia Stratos, deaccesorized for street racing

5. Any Calsonic Skyline done the same way.

6. AMT Piranha or MPC Firefighter Mustang rebuilt for street racing

7.  Cut the back off any of the AMT Nascar pickup racers and put an actual bed on it. Add some trim, file down the ground effects - perfect Cannonballer.

Lots of possibilities and don't overlook those hot rod kits with the modern Art Morrison style chassis'.

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Yeah but we know what happened  the last time Jay Leno was in that car...????

Well it is my idea for someone else. I'd like to win next year and I'm not above a bit of skulduggery to do so. ?

Edited by Jantrix

On 12/5/2020 at 3:53 AM, Lunajammer said:

I'd love to see somebody do this. They've been selling for generally under $40 on eBay. Under the NASCAR covers are stock features. Not real popular with NASCAR builders because it's not accurate. Not popular with stock builders because it's not stock. Pretty much falls into this theme and there's lots of time.

JohanTorino.jpeg.c57f7635533180455213f030572c1700.jpeg

When I saw discussion about this theme, I immediately thought about that kit. I have it on my stash, but not sure what I want to do with it... Let's see, it might or might not happen... There are lots of great ideas to choose from this time.

I'm toying with an idea of doing a "road legal" Audi Quattro rally car:

1-24-audi-quattro-rally-510003642_00.jpeg.4c5fba9b4ae349b25996377adc4b8b24.jpeg

I've never been a fan of the 1981 WRC works team livery so it would be a good opportunity... I saw a post suggesting that fog lamp clusters may not be street legal stateside? This could be a deal breaker for me: not-entirely-wolf's-clothing might be as far as I can go when a kit comes with badass lights like above! What is the ruling here, please? 

Edited by Pete75

2 hours ago, Pete75 said:

I've never been a fan of the 1981 WRC works team livery so it would be a good opportunity... I saw a post suggesting that fog lamp clusters may not be street legal stateside? This could be a deal breaker for me: not-entirely-wolf's-clothing might be as far as I can go when a kit comes with badass lights like above! What is the ruling here, please? 

What you do to the model AFTER you've taken the photos for the Cannonball, is your business fella. ? My Cannonball Stude ended up as a Carrera Panamericana racer.

2011-11-28222809.JPG

2013-12-31 12.22.42_zps9lrzfvhd.JPG

2 hours ago, Pete75 said:

1-24-audi-quattro-rally-510003642_00.jpeg.4c5fba9b4ae349b25996377adc4b8b24.jpegI've never been a fan of the 1981 WRC works team livery so it would be a good opportunity... I saw a post suggesting that fog lamp clusters may not be street legal stateside? This could be a deal breaker for me: not-entirely-wolf's-clothing might be as far as I can go when a kit comes with badass lights like above! What is the ruling here, please? 

The lights issue would be on a state by state basis. Most states do not allow them for use on highway/road driving, but they are not illegal to install and use for off road purposes. A lot of rigs around here have installed the new LED bars that also are illegal for use on road (tell that to all the log trucks running them at 3:30 am) - but not to have on a vehicle. Also, if they are covered, it would be even less of an attention getter as far as using off road lights on road. 
Just the appearance of them, though, would draw attention if I was in blue. 

Edited by Erik Smith

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

What you do to the model AFTER you've taken the photos for the Cannonball, is your business fella. ? My Cannonball Stude ended up as a Carrera Panamericana racer.

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Just the appearance of them, though, would draw attention if I was in blue. 

Thanks guys, you make good points. I'm going to order the kit and will leave the fogs off (for the time being, anyway). I reckon I can still make this thing look cool!!?

1 hour ago, Pete75 said:

I reckon I can still make this thing look cool!!?

After thinking about this theme lots, I figure this will be the biggest hurdle. I can make the model look like a stock bodied car, and the wow factor will be under the skin, but that's not the eye candy I want in my display case. I'm not a stock kinda guy. It's gotta fit the theme, be sorta stealthy and non-eye catching, BUT still look cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I do have a question... Just for curiosity...

Would a kit like a general lee, the 68 mustang, the monogram gtr, one of the corvette racing kits or the like qualify in something like this? I'm asking incase some one new to all this wants to jump in, but not have the skill set to do drastic surgery.

I'm still looking into a NASCAR mutant myself.

Edited by KWT

2 hours ago, KWT said:

Would a kit like a general lee, the 68 mustang, the monogram gtr, one of the corvette racing kits or the like qualify in something like this?

The General lee would be allowed and any other kit simular that has numbers and racing livery even if everything else is factory stock.

In an effort to appeal to all builders with different skill sets.  The two main revisions to the original theme concept are...

#1. The leniency to use stock bodies on a Nascar chassis.

#2. Racing Boxart despite the contents of the model being primarily factory stock such as the General lee...

I hope that clears up any confusion that the kit has to be a full race car kit. 

Agian, my goal is to get folks interested in building for the CBR.

It's up to each individual's open interpretation as to how complicated or simplistic they want to build... ???