Model Cars Magazine Forum

I saw a similar build in a vintage magazine but I can't remember which pick up was used . I've always liked the concept of using only the cab rearranged to make an entirely different truck . It is supposed to be exaggerated but perhaps plausible . Just to keep it relatively simple I'll leave the wheel openings and green house as is . 

IMG_20201104_015309406_MP.jpg

IMG_20201104_015302408_MP.jpg

20 hours ago, randx0 said:

I saw a similar build in a vintage magazine but I can't remember which pick up was used ....

The famous Revell-Pactra 1964 contest co-winner Bob Nordberg custom Ford pickup cabover? I was able to lend a hand in prompting the man's son to donate that one to the Model Car Museum in SLC - first few pics in my thread here. From my knowledge of that one, I'd saved a pic for several years of a really rusty junkyard 1:1 that looked like your Chevy version, but with a much flatter worse-looking front face. Can't find it on my computer so far, might have deleted it .....

N coe close up.jpg

Edited by Russell C

22 hours ago, Russell C said:

The famous Revell-Pactra 1964 contest co-winner Bob Nordberg custom Ford pickup cabover? I was able to lend a hand in prompting the man's son to donate that one to the Model Car Museum in SLC - first few pics in my thread here. From my knowledge of that one, I'd saved a pic for several years of a really rusty junkyard 1:1 that looked like your Chevy version, but with a much flatter worse-looking front face. Can't find it on my computer so far, might have deleted it .....

N coe close up.jpg

Sweet ! Good looking out That's not the one I saw , however , it does confirm what I thought , that the model was the 63-4 ford pickup . I've seen a few as customs even saw one for sale on ebay once . It's fascinating that concept goes back to 64 . Thanks for sharing !

22 hours ago, Khils said:

I have seen that , it's on my want list , it looks like it would have to be mid / rear engine powered or a curbside with the powerplant left to the imagination . 

17 minutes ago, randx0 said:

... even saw one for sale on ebay once . ...

That might be the one Steve Gilmore posted about here? It appears to be some long ago builder's copy of the Nordberg  cabover. Probably other guys back in the day might have been inspired to build variants, too. I found other photos from 1964-era magazines showing the Nordberg contest winner which I showed in my post here on what a modern day tribute might look like.

1 hour ago, Russell C said:

That might be the one Steve Gilmore posted about here? It appears to be some long ago builder's copy of the Nordberg  cabover. Probably other guys back in the day might have been inspired to build variants, too. I found other photos from 1964-era magazines showing the Nordberg contest winner which I showed in my post here on what a modern day tribute might look like.

Those are cool pics and an interesting topic , the one I saw was a cab only custom . 

11 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I was reminded of a picture from a  sales site from many years ago.  No information or further pictures were provided.

The other picture is a long-stalled car hauler project.

59%20GMC.jpg

Custom Chevy Car Hauler  DSCF2789 copy.jpg

If I we're building a replica I'd definitely be building that dump truck . Once you got those front corners done it looks pretty doable . 

I like your phantom hauler , what'd you use for the body , my initial thought was the AMT 65 Chev wagon . 

12 hours ago, randx0 said:

I like your phantom hauler , what'd you use for the body , my initial thought was the AMT 65 Chev wagon . 

Thanks, I spliced two Deora body sides together.  Project stalled when it became apparent the body was slightly skewed in relation to the cab. 

What are your thoughts for your chassis?

8 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

What are your thoughts for your chassis?

I'm thinking the stock chassis , I'm trying to keep the project limited to parts in the box . Right now the only parts not from the kit I plan on using will be the wheels from the AMT dirt hauler/North american vanlines moving truck . 

I did have to cut off the bottom wheel well front grill area because it was noticably crooked it's back on now tho . 

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Spex84 said:

This is pretty darn cool so far!

On 1/16/2021 at 7:12 PM, wrenchr said:

I love these types of projects!! 

On 1/16/2021 at 9:24 PM, slusher said:

Looking great!

On 1/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, charlie8575 said:

What a neat project.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks ! 

• 1 month later...