Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Freightliner FLA

After a lot of work, I am calling this one done. I started with an AMT dual drive Freightliner kit, I lengthened the frame slightly and added an air-ride suspension. The cab was mostly scratch built, with the interior being made from 2 AMT kits put together. The fuel tanks, quarter fenders, mirrors, and exhaust were all scratch built. The tires and drive rims were designed and cast by me, while the steer rims were from M&R wheels. The pinstriping and lettering on the doors was done by hand, though I am not in love with how it came out.

Here is the inspiration:

2v2HWmAzvxAC2cR.jpg

And the finished model:

2v2HWmAq3xAC2cR.jpg

2v2HWmAL8xAC2cR.jpg

2v2HWmAhrxAC2cR.jpg

1 hour ago, vincen47 said:

Fantastic all around, especially the ultra- realistic weathering. An incredible representation of the 1:1. About what percentage of your family’s fleet have you recreated in scale? At least one of every make and model?

Thank you! I just did the math and I have built about 7% of the trucks that we had owned. There was also a group of owner operators who pulled for us over the years which adds about another 50 trucks or so (3 of which I have built in scale). I still have plenty of material to work off of ?. My wife is always asking me if I am going to build them all. I want to build more from the 80's and 90's, but they take a lot more work since there are not kits available for most trucks in that era.

Edited by KJ790

10 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

You always have a way of capturing the look of the real thing! This one looks Awesome! The normal wear adds to the realism!

Speaking of other family  fleet trucks, what ever happened to the cabover Mack project that you were starting some time back?

Thanks Brian! That Mack has been stalled on the bench for a while. I wasn't happy with the chassis that I started, so I will likely start over with a different chassis once I get back to it.

21 hours ago, KJ790 said:

Thank you! I just did the math and I have built about 7% of the trucks that we had owned. There was also a group of owner operators who pulled for us over the years which adds about another 50 trucks or so (3 of which I have built in scale). I still have plenty of material to work off of ?. My wife is always asking me if I am going to build them all. I want to build more from the 80's and 90's, but they take a lot more work since there are not kits available for most trucks in that era.

That’s neat. I figured you had at least a good start towards building the fleet. True, the lack of kit availability makes it more challenging. I continue to enjoy seeing your builds.

This is beautiful, Man... What an excellent build... I almost thought I was looking at the actual truck when I was scrolling down... Looking for the pic of the model...? It's that good, Bro... Kudos to that photography....

Edited by kilrathy10