Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 November 2020 Releases

Motor City

11 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I use to own a 1971  Mach 1 . I have built the Amt/Ertl Boss 351. My only gripe is the engines. The kit has a lot of custom  and speed parts. I bought the corrected Mach 1  front end from Missing Link and decals from Firebird. It turned out great.

I'll buy one and hope for the best.

Mike

Don't forget the simplistic and totally incorrect engine compartment.  Ugh!  If the new Bond Mustang has those wheel covers and whitewall tires, it'd be worth buying just for those items IMO.

The MPC 71-73 Mustangs aren't very good due to all being based on a 1960s era Mustang promo turned kit update. The AMT 73 (last issued in a flat box as a racer about 5 years ago) is a much better kit.

The 350z dates back to the Toyko Drift tooling and has odd proportions, especially the low chop top like roof. It can be made into a nice custom if one swaps out janky wheels with something else and thinks outside the box with a possible motor swap (LS1, Coyote moto, endless possibilities). The decals in the TD issue were jaw-droppingly awful as they would shrivel and wrinkle up into nothing, so any new decals R2 does as they did the Supra (which also had equally lousy decals in it's initial F&F issues) will be an improvement.

16 hours ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

The MPC 71-73 Mustangs aren't very good due to all being based on a 1960s era Mustang promo turned kit update. The AMT 73 (last issued in a flat box as a racer about 5 years ago) is a much better kit.

The 350z dates back to the Toyko Drift tooling and has odd proportions, especially the low chop top like roof. It can be made into a nice custom if one swaps out janky wheels with something else and thinks outside the box with a possible motor swap (LS1, Coyote moto, endless possibilities). The decals in the TD issue were jaw-droppingly awful as they would shrivel and wrinkle up into nothing, so any new decals R2 does as they did the Supra (which also had equally lousy decals in it's initial F&F issues) will be an improvement.

I wonder if the Nissan was based on diecast tooling?  It seems whenever they do a plastic kit based on diecast tooling (Revell '80's Caddy Coupe Deville), the proportions look odd.

Edited by the other Mike S.

57 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I wonder if the Nissan was based on diecast tooling?  It seems whenever they do a plastic kit based on diecast tooling (Revell '80's Caddy Coupe Deville), the proportions look odd.

I wouldn't be surprised if those AMT kits made under the 2004-2007 Tomy/RC2 helm were largely based on die cast toolings used for Ertl/Johnny Lightning 1/18th and 1/24th equivalents.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

You'd think they would come out with more exciting stuff in November and December when people are spending more money either on themselves or someone else. Don't know. I'm no marketing genius; just thinking out loud.

Your right and soon people will spend more time indoors...

• 3 weeks later...