Model Cars Magazine Forum

egg crate grille and the car behind it!

Paul Payne

Figured out a possible way to mock up the windshield frame. Cut a strip of waxed paper and taped it over the cowl area. The translucent waxed paper allows you to see what is under it. I then used a bit of white glue to position the central divider, then more glue to hold the two bottom channels in proper relation to the divider and the cowl vee. So far so good. Now the risky part- applying super glue to the joint between the channels and the divider. This is now drying, with a possibility of applying more. In the mean time, I grabbed my trusty card stock to cut a template for the windshield glass. Here is the rest of my cunning plan- once I have removed the waxed paper I hope to soak off the white glue while the superglue joints remain intact, leaving my windshield frame intact. If it hangs together, next will be Molotow. I have a plastic box from which I plan to cut the glass. Installing it should strengthen the frame, allowing it to be installed as a single finished unit.

windshield 1.jpg

windshield 2.jpg

windshield 3.jpg

Very Creative!  I have been following your build.  At first, I was confused about what the direction was going to be, but have been very impressed (I don't have that kind of vision, I hope that didn't sound negative at all).  You have amazing customizing skills, I am looking forward to more progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been awhile, but I'm still working on it. I finally got a decent coat of paint on the hood, with clear coat. The dashboard and steering wheel have been installed in the body- I test fitted the shifter just for jollies- the console is part of the dashboard and rests on the transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel. I had applied some Molotow to the grille, but a lot of sanding scratches appeared- I sanded everything again and have applied Molotow to one half. When it's dry, I will see if its smooth enough to continue. I filed down the outside of the headlight buckets creating a small lip, then filed a bit on the headlight openings so now I have a nice fit. A little chrome touch up and they will go in. The big project has been the 12 bumper blades- 3 each side, front and rear. I rough shaped 12 pieces, then tried gluing a stack using Elmer's white glue, in order to sand everything to the final contour. Unfortunately, the glue didn't hold, so parts of the stack would come apart. However, I was able to get to the point where I could soak everything apart and do the final shaping using the best piece as a guide. In my stash I located 2 bumper guards of unknown origin. These were white glued together and 3 horizontal notches were filed into them for the bumper blades, then holes were drilled for the brass rod which will be covered with aluminum tube and mounted to the body. I also want to check out finger nail decorating tape, which seems to be available in 0.5mm width, and maybe even narrower. I want to try this for some chrome accent strips as well as door and panel lines.

painted hood.jpg

dash 1.jpg

dash 2.jpg

dash 3.jpg

grille with some chrome.jpg

headlight mockup.jpg

bumper segments.jpg

bumper mount.jpg

bumper mounts 1.jpg

Glad to see the updates on this one, it's been a while since I checked in! That chromed grille is going to look absolutely wild once it's in place. This car has that perfect 1940s pulp magazine "Automobiles of the Future" vibe. I'm truly impressed that you have followed through and it's so close to completion!

Doing some assembly work and also working on the bumpers. Found some adhesive foil in the odds and ends box, cut it into narrow strips, wrapped the edges of the tail lights, and glued them in with clear gloss. Also installed the grille and hood, and mounted the body to the chassis/interior assembly. Getting to be the home stretch- bumpers, rear view mirror, windshield, and license plate, and the Hurricane Typhoon will be complete!

today01.jpg

today02.jpg

today03.jpg

today04.jpg

today05.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Preliminary bumper mock up- one rear bumper fell apart, tried to get a wet coat of paint on, went on too thick and ran, need to sand and re-paint once the paint is completely dry. Will be adjusting to hopefully snug the rear bumpers closer to the body. Let me know what you think! 

front bumper 1.jpg

front bumper 2.jpg

front bumper 3.jpg

front bumper 4.jpg

rear bumper 1.jpg

rear bumper 2.jpg

rear bumper 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, Paul, this looks like the "future" standing in 1939- maybe the New York World's Fair. Preston Tucker saw this.  He scratched his head and then put his hand to his chin....🤔 

The egg crate grille reminds me of a 46 Lincoln. The bumpers fall squarely in the late Deco Era when it started to move into the early "Jet Age". Certainty no later than 1949

I wonder how that V16 would look in a '29 roadster.....🥴

What a fantastic project, Paul. I am inspired. I think I have a few airplane kits around here...and a "quick  build" Chezoom kit that I don't know what to do with. 

Edited by customline

This is one beautiful build. As I am new to the forum, I just saw this while going through some threads this morning. Although I didn't read every part of the thread, I got the gist of it and the finished product is amazing. Harley Earl (don't think I'm related to him) was quite the visionary. Anyway, Great build, congratulations on it's completion.

Jim

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the comments. When I started, there was no clear vision- it just sort of evolved. I think there would be some major overhang out the sides of a 29 roadster with that V-16, with the side mounted superchargers and carbs. Maybe a different intake system? But- what would be the fun in that? And of course- it's all made from junk!

Check out lots more pix in Under Glass, New for 1949- the Hurricane Typhoon!