Model Cars Magazine Forum

egg crate grille and the car behind it!

Paul Payne

Harley Earl's vision for American cars was "longer, lower, wider". Dream cars, idea cars, concept cars- most were never built, but exist as drawings, renderings, and paintings, with a few major exceptions. The Buick Y job, the Phantom Corsair, as well as customs by Harry Westergaard and the Barris brothers all come instantly to mind. Modelwise, Ted Chopper Lear's customs as well as Doug Whyte's 53 Studebaker are great examples of concept cars.

The egg crate grille- initially I had no idea for how to fabricate something like this, but after some thought I felt styrene structural shapes glued together might just work. I found possible shapes to use- here are pictures of the beginning of what might just work. In addition, I created a profile for the grille center from laminated styrene sheets. At the Hoosier model club show I came across a junk airplane fuselage as well as some 40 Ford hoods- now I got ideas for shapes and how to create the front prow, rear boat tail, and side contours! A junker 61 T-bird body gathering dust suddenly became a starting point. I also swapped for some additional junk airplanes to use for more shapes and patch pieces. Wheels and tires, a steering wheel, dash parts, and two possible bucket seat donors- one from an early Corvette, the others from a Bugatti royale- and things came together even more. Now- what about an engine? At this point, I don't know if this project will be curbside styling excersise or a more detailed version. I was thinking of creating a dual overhead cam V-16 from two blocks and some top end parts. OK, fellow modelers, what do you think?

665258607_grillebeginnings.jpeg.e010e5172ad8be46dedb6923c6c48b0f.jpeg

evergreen shapes.jpeg

grille center profile.jpeg

donor tbird.jpeg

fuselages.jpeg

mock up 1.jpeg

mock up 2.jpeg

mock up 3.jpeg

mock up 4.jpeg

mock up 5.jpeg

dash board beginnings.jpeg

possible seat 1.jpeg

possible seat 2.jpeg

wheel and tire.jpeg

possible v-16.jpeg

parts is parts 1.jpeg

parts is parts 2.jpeg

Edited by Paul Payne
misspelling
  • Like 1

A little progress- the styline tail light openings were very deep. I filled them with plastic so I would have solid material to rework this area- no firm ideas yet, possibly similar to the Buick Y-job. I also decided to use the Corvette bucket seats, so I cut them apart and sanded them , refining the shape of the top of the backs since they were definitely left hand and right hand, not evident before separation. I wanted very cushy seats for this ride, and I like the detailing of the little creases and wrinkles in the upholstery. They will get new sides and backs- pix when that is done. I added some more to the grille as well. Here it is against the center profile piece. A lot of repetitive work to be done before the shaping begins. After all, the grille was the reason this project started in the first place!

tail light fill.jpeg

bucket seats.jpeg

grille progress 1.jpeg

grille progress 2.jpeg

Almost forgot- I modified the bottom contour of one half of the fuselage for better lines. The half on top has a pie cut section removed, which will be duplicated on the bottom half. You can really see the difference. I had also grafted in patch pieces from a donor fuselage, again to smooth nd refine the shape. Still need to add filler slivers in some gaps. I want to get these pieces as close to final shape as possible before grafting them onto the body, to reduce the chance of things coming apart from stresses.

Another opinion poll! What shape for the wheel arches, or perhaps none or only minimal ones? If the wheels won't show, I will change out the wheels for different ones- however I do like the wires but perhaps only a portion peeking out?

pie cut fuselage 1.jpeg

pie cut fuselage 2.jpeg

While kruzing the internet, I found some inspirational photos of real car projects- these builders are doing in real steel what I am attempting in plastic! One thing which I plan to really re-work is the passenger compartment surround. he existing windshield frame will go and a divided screen will be constructed.

Kent-Kozera-Buick-01_zpsniljrn26.jpg

2ed4c6cee447638dd4d7b20e2c66979e.jpg

14-Monster1.jpg

21odr-vi.jpg

09566d31b7159ce4fb86d87fe691640d.png

A little progress- removed the windshield frame and cut and fit part of an airplane wing to extend the boat tail to the passenger compartment. This wing section almost exactly matches the contour of the 40 Ford hood. So far one side fitted, then used this piece to outline the shape on another wing. Added a center shim support for both halves- not glued in since this may become an extension of a passenger compartment divider/center console.

continuation 1.jpeg

continuation 2.jpeg

A little more progress- using plane wings, I extended the boat tail up to the passenger compartment. The hood has been split and a more rounded section for the nose was found and trimmed. The fuselage halves have additional patch pieces grafted in and are almost ready for initial sanding, then putty, then sanding, then putty...you get the idea! Haven't done much on the grille- need to devote some time to it and make it start looking like something!

boat tail extension.jpeg

patches.jpeg

hoodsplit.jpeg

Hi Paul!

Wow, what a creative design, and it gives full meaning to the term "mash-up"! Impressive. 

I'm curious as to what glue you are using to bond all the parts together. I'm asking because I could not help it remembering a mash-up I made a few years ago with a 53 Stude, and even allowing for a looooooooong curing time before applying putty and primer for finishing... the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH styrene glue managed to telegraph ever so slightly trough the final paint a few years later, in the comfort of my glass cabinet, no less... Very frustrating. 

On the other hand, some projects pieced together with Super Glue don't show a hint of the surgery scars. I had my lesson, as you may imagine. 

I'm not minding my business here, but since you invited comments and questions, I went along. 

Keep up the terrific idea!

CT 

Claude, glad you are enjoying this project! I have been using liquid styrene cement for the initial bond, then, after this sets, reinforcing the joints with superglue. I have puttied up the fuselage halves, sanded, the re-puttied, then sanded again, then re-puttied again- maybe this will be the last time! I wanted to do as much work as possible with the airplane parts unattached, to reduce stressing. Once they are attached, there will probably be considerably more fill in pieces and putty to get final contours, which are still somewhat undecided. I am using a one part auto putty (red stuff) which I have used in the past without shrinkage problems (yet)! Right now I am gluing up more modules for the egg crate grille as well as working out the interior opening and hood. I will post more pix soon!

6 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Claude, glad you are enjoying this project! I have been using liquid styrene cement for the initial bond, then, after this sets, reinforcing the joints with superglue. I have puttied up the fuselage halves, sanded, the re-puttied, then sanded again, then re-puttied again- maybe this will be the last time! I wanted to do as much work as possible with the airplane parts unattached, to reduce stressing. Once they are attached, there will probably be considerably more fill in pieces and putty to get final contours, which are still somewhat undecided. I am using a one part auto putty (red stuff) which I have used in the past without shrinkage problems (yet)! Right now I am gluing up more modules for the egg crate grille as well as working out the interior opening and hood. I will post more pix soon!

Hi Paul!

I'm surprised that you report no shrinkage with the solvent based (red-one part) putty. Good for you. But the catalized two-part stuff is supposed to be more stable, because it hardens by catalyst, not evaporation. Usually no shrinking ever. 

Keep us posted!

CT

• 3 weeks later...

Well, progress has been a bit slow due to way more puttying and sanding than I anticipated, as well as how much slow, patient, (tedious?) work is required to continue building the egg crate grille! This project is a bit different for me since there was a vague idea of what I want to achieve, then letting the parts dictate construction. I decided on a rounder nose for the hood, so I cut it in two, added stock (not very symmetrically as it turned out), and a lot more putty than I really wanted- I may still sand away the putty and try to use plastic. I got one half of the airplane body in primer, still puttying the opposite half- I suspect the primered half will still need some work. When I extended the boat tail to the passenger compartment, there was quite a gap between the Tbird body and the new plastic. I decided to try filling this with short lengths of sprue and some scrap that will be worked into final shape. I plan on a divided passenger compartment with a seat divider and console running from the back to meet up with the underside of the dash. Here are some pix so far- more will come!

hood primer.jpeg

griile sections.jpeg

primer and putty.jpeg

fill in.jpeg

Wow what a project !  

I'm loving this, great imagination I'm so impressed how you can use the aircraft parts  !

I was going to suggest turning the fuselage sides upside down and using the cockpit opening as a wheel arch !

Bit late maybe ?   Good luck with this I'll be looking out for future progress. !