Model Cars Magazine Forum

Royal Pontiac's GeeTo Tigers (2 cars)

59 Impala

Here are some pics of the two cars that I've started to work on.  It was a little harder to mask off the White car because of the White body and paint.  I got the Gold paint on this afternoon.  I'll let them dry a few days and then spray clear over them.

IMG_1338.JPG.6e09daa3ca59958ccb1f7d2aa932cf66.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG.42c9780347519bb9c04d969f824a2f17.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG.fe36bfafd6bfc20178f06510701c32fc.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG.dbcce0705615c5343f0388933f619080.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG.9800e4122d0780190d36a92b54ae42bd.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG.9f15a524f25b5acab23da313bd67a1e4.JPG

• Like 1

I have had one of the GeeTooTiger kits for quite a while and really look forward to WIP posts on this one.  The paint scheme on these cars is quite  unique as the drivers side is different then the passenger side.

As I'm sure you already know Dan as far as the real car is concerened, in addition to the original 1:1 car back in "the day" there is a later version.

0fa35c67c8916b70c2d7af61cb52ec37.jpg.5ae780e7bb89aa21f3103510d4889e46.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I repainted the Gold on the White car.  I'll sand it and then redo the clear tomorrow.  The Black one is ready for the next step.  I'm going to build the engine and install headers and then have to alter the chassis so the headers will fit.  

Testors enamel.  That's what I mostly use for all my painting.  I thin the 1/4 oz jars with Enamel Reducer (medium dry) about one part paint and three to four parts reducer and use an air brush with between 12 to 18 psi.  The enamel dries about the same as lacquer.  In about ten minutes I can touch the bodies after painting but I usually let it set over night before I mess with it.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything for this project, but I'm getting back to them.  Today I tried to install the decals on the black one and the first decal fell apart, so, I've sprayed the rest with aa clear coating and will try again tomorrow.  These are the original kits and so I'm going to have to open another kit for just one little decal.  BUMMER.

23 hours ago, 59 Impala said:

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything for this project, but I'm getting back to them.  Today I tried to install the decals on the black one and the first decal fell apart, so, I've sprayed the rest with aa clear coating and will try again tomorrow.  These are the original kits and so I'm going to have to open another kit for just one little decal.  BUMMER.

I'm glad you're back on this cool project Dan. Yeah, I had my decalling issue yesterday on my current WIP, bummer!!

All I've got done on this car is what you see here.  These decals are a pain in the Butt to install.  The left front fender decal is trash and the Red decal for this door is trash and I hope that when I open another kit for the decals they will work.  I sure hope so cause I want to build both cars and you need two sets of decals to build both of them.  I need to take a break from this cause my eyes are crossing.  Ha ha.

IMG_5218.JPG.39f12e4692cd0acc8954ac9bcfe06a53.JPG

• Like 1

I got so frustrated today with the decals for this car that I installed the wrong one on the left door.  I tried to remove it but no dice.  These are the worst decals I have ever come across.  Some of the other decals have started to fall apart.  Bummer.

IMG_5219.JPG.a4d39970dd2173bb3e3e75c77f232247.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG.eaa707a956dcc32f9bff0183b4a2f4bc.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG.35607c03e864e385944c45168315e937.JPG

This build has been so stressful that I'm reluctant to build the White one.  I will build the White one but it will be after I calm down from this one.  I'm hoping that the decals will be Ok for the next one cause I don't have another spare kit to rob from.  Did I mention that I got stressed out over this?  LOL.  I have started building the 32 Cadillac to take my mind off of this for now.   

37 minutes ago, 59 Impala said:

This build has been so stressful that I'm reluctant to build the White one.  I will build the White one but it will be after I calm down from this one.  I'm hoping that the decals will be Ok for the next one cause I don't have another spare kit to rob from.  Did I mention that I got stressed out over this?  LOL.  I have started building the 32 Cadillac to take my mind off of this for now.   

Maybe build the other one as one of other pro raced '66 stockers. Pretty sure there are decals available....I think.