Model Cars Magazine Forum

Double layer of decals?

I've used decals on a few cars that I sprayed clear over to seal them after they are applied. 

Has anyone used a double layer of decals on a body and then sprayed clear on?  The reason I'm asking is I had some ALPS decals printed but I might have them laser printed.  The laser printer can print white but it's a separate decal.  The laser printed decals will look sharper but I'll have to apply the white decal and then the decal with the graphic.

Edited by crowe-t

I've used Fred Cady decals since the '80's.  Fred silk screened his decals based on the individual colors, so for things like lettering and logos, you have apply each color layer over the previous to build up to the final decal.  You start with the base or background, then add the other color detail layers one at a time.  I've clear coated these all of the time with no problem.  The key is the thickness of the decal film.  The thinner each layer of the decal is, the easier it will be to blend them into the final surface finish. I've attached a few images of some of the models I've used Fred's decals on.

A.J.

1952 IH Metro CD (2).JPG

1968 Plymouth Fury MSP (2).JPG

1978 Dodge Monaco IN SP (2).JPG

1997 Chevrolet G20 Panel  IL SP (2).JPG

I spoke with the guy who prints the laser decals and he said the decal paper is a little over half the thickness of kit decals.  This doesn't mean that much.

The clear lacquer does reduce down for a while.  I'm concerned over time it will reduce down and there will be a step where the decals are.  The ALPS decals printed nice but there's a license plate that you can see a bit of the dot pattern on.  It's only a single decal that needs to be applied.  I'll have to think about it.

Edited by crowe-t

Since ALPS MD printers can overlay multiple coats of inks in perfect register, if the decal designer knows how to use those tricks, they could likely print the decal without visible halftoning (dot pattern).  The printing process gets more complicated, but the results are excellent.

But if overlay mode is not used, the size of those dots also depends on which ALPS printer model is being used.  The MD5000 prints up to 190lpi in  the VPhoto mode, (where IIRC, MD1000 can only do 145lpi)

Laser printers are also CYMK printers - laser printed color  decal will also have dots, but probably finer than what ALPS can do.