Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy 1975 Hyundai Pony

fumi

On 11/14/2020 at 3:17 AM, moparfarmer said:

My own personal opinion..I don't mean any bad for anyone on this subject, but it is what I've experience with said Pony..Its a POS..Why anyone would want a model of one is beyond me except for a conversation piece..Where I live they rusted out in 6 months and couldn't get parts, especially if you traveled to USA..Had a friend who had one..Had three weeks holiday and took wife and three kids to Arizona..Waited for parts for week and half in some hick town in Arizona..Came home after fixed and dummy he was, bought another one that was just as bad as the first..A nice rusted out model of one would look normal..Good conversation piece though..Later in life he became our City of Winnipeg Fire Chief..Must have been too much Guiness in the system back then..LOL

For last few years and until its recent release, Academy Pony has been the most anticipated kit in South Korea because it was the first car actually manufactured by Korean company (before then Hyundai licensed Ford and GM partnered with Daewoo to form GM Korea to license manufacture Opel Rekord/Holden Commodore), and at one point it accounted for 50% of all cars  on the road in Korea - so a lot of people at least in Korea have soft spots for Pony. Korea didn't use road salts back then so most of these non-galvanized cars didn't suffer as much of rust issues as they did in overseas. 

This is awesome. i love economy cars for some reason. 

Years ago i bought myself a new ford fiesta. It was good except i was too big for it and cramped and i traded it in 2 years later for a Beatle. The beatle was almost the same price, but had much better performance and more room. Much worse mpg though

5 hours ago, youpey said:

This is awesome. i love economy cars for some reason. 

Years ago i bought myself a new ford fiesta. It was good except i was too big for it and cramped and i traded it in 2 years later for a Beatle. The beatle was almost the same price, but had much better performance and more room. Much worse mpg though

You traded for a Beatle?  Was it Paul or Ringo?   (just kidding) lol! 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Still loving this! Still wanting this!

Alan,  I never thought an American would bring a Corner Gas reference! Nice!

We neeed the '85 version SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADLY.

What? I like POS cars getting kits? You know me... always up for some unloved econobeating! :)

• 2 weeks later...