Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any chance for the Monogram '34 Ford coupe ?

Unfortunately that would be an expensive redo considering how much has been changed in the kit. It would be cool to have all of those flat box kits reissued however I don't see that the cost to revive the 34 makes sense or any of the others for that matter.

If you really want one you'd have to buy an original kit.

You can find the originals for fairly reasonable prices considering the age of the kit, I bought a couple on ebay for between $35 and 45 dollars. These were unbuilt in box. The decals were aged. Not cheap, but it is the nicest '34 in kit form IMO. You can get builder quality started kits for $35 or less. Of course, there are a bunch of people with ridiculous BIN prices on them, but they don't seem to sell. The lime green "Early Iron" series issue seems to bring bigger $$$ these days. I would love to see a new kit of the '34 to the standard of the Revell '32 fords and '29 A, but I doubt that will happen.

Guys....don't sell the AMT/Ertl 1934 5-window short - it has a really well detailed showroom stock version and the proportions are actually quite good....plus it avoids the two=piece man body casting of the original Monogram kit.  The street rod version is somewhat compromised (biggest issue being the out of scale IFS as well as the super-generic SBC engine), but more up to date in that context than any of the Monogram kit variants . 

I actually think it is the best of the existing and historic '34 kits....but of course, as Larry suggests, I'd still like to see Revell do a series of new tools with the '32 Street Rod Series/'29-'30 Model A Hot Rod kits.  Regrettably, I don't see that happening under the current regime; hope some day I can say I was wrong here!  

Cheers....TIM  

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

Greg, you might be thinking of the seventies release of the AMT 34 3 window coupe.  This definitely had a stubby grille as well as other proportion issues.  The newer tool 5 window has quite a nice grille.

Cheers

Alan

What Alan said.  The 1975-ish 3 window coupe kit was a disaster body wise, and the grille was right at the top of the list.  

Here' are several images of models built from the c.1995 AMT-Ertl '34 5W tooling...

.DSC 0224

DSC 0325

DSC 0326

DSC 1148

Best....TIM

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Has anyone tried fitting the 3W roof from the MPC '34 Ford dirt track body onto the AMT 5W coupe?  That might be a way of getting a decent 3W coupe in 1/25 scale...

That. Or set the 3W body on the 5W fenders/chassis with the hood and grille.